Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-11-2010, 22:05
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
One good thing about having a Manics fan for a partner is you get to play loads of Manics at your wedding reception (although I walked down the aisle to Radiohead, because there was nothing by the Manics that was suitable). The best song was Stay Beautiful. We had loads of Manics fans there and were all jumping around and shouting the 'fuck offs', it was amazing There's an MP3 of it somewhere...
Our first dance was 'Can't take my eyes off you' live from the Millennium stadium on millenium eve. I wanted 'Stay Beautiful' but it got vetoed before the big day.

This remains a sore point in our relationship..

(Joke)
Old 06-11-2010, 22:07
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
One good thing about having a Manics fan for a partner is you get to play loads of Manics at your wedding reception (although I walked down the aisle to Radiohead, because there was nothing by the Manics that was suitable). The best song was Stay Beautiful. We had loads of Manics fans there and were all jumping around and shouting the 'fuck offs', it was amazing There's an MP3 of it somewhere...
See, that would be quite cool. If the boy and I ever get married I'll have to request at least one Manics song, seeing as there will (hopefully) be some other fans there who'd appreciate it too.
Old 06-11-2010, 22:08
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
Although her opinions of Cast at Trentham Gardens in 1997 are best left unheard ...
i take it she didnt like em? good cos they're shite!
Old 06-11-2010, 22:09
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by exopotamie View Post
See, that would be quite cool. If the boy and I ever get married I'll have to request at least one Manics song, seeing as there will (hopefully) be some other fans there who'd appreciate it too.
The DJ had a whale of a time. He wasn't used to 20 people screaming when he started playing a song

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 06-11-2010, 22:22
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
i take it she didnt like em? good cos they're shite!
They weren't shite as such - it's just that they played loads of material from their second album before it was released ...! 'History' played through the venues quadrophonic sound system, was fucking awesome - I'll remember that guitar riff live until the day I die!
Also, Her boyfriend at the time (i.e. Me) was hopelessly stoned and paid her no attention. For which I hold my hands up. Honestly, 13 years later, you'd have thought we could forgive and forget ...
Old 06-11-2010, 22:32
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
They weren't shite as such - it's just that they played loads of material from their second album before it was released ...! 'History' played through the venues quadrophonic sound system, was fucking awesome - I'll remember that guitar riff live until the day I die!
Also, Her boyfriend at the time (i.e. Me) was hopelessly stoned and paid her no attention. For which I hold my hands up. Honestly, 13 years later, you'd have thought we could forgive and forget ...
Old 06-11-2010, 22:57
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

well i liked the manics before i met my husband, then we met and i wasn't heavily into them but when EMG was released my hubby loved it and he became a hiuge fan alongside me. However in the past few years he has dwindled away and isn't really a fan anymore and to be honest that seems to work better cos I can go off to gigs on my own, have fun queueing etc (which he hates) and have hadloads of fun at the gigs, and it means we do't have to get babysitters either

if i was doing it again i don't think it would matter to me at all if they liked them or not, in fact it isprobably easier if they don't as long as they understand my obsession

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE
Old 07-11-2010, 00:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

The hubby was into the Manics before me so it isn't an issue for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
It'd be great to have a boyfriend that's into the same bands I am cos then i'd have a gig buddy It wouldn't matter if he didnt like the manics but he'd have to respect that i do.
I agree - there are bands/genres of music that the hubby likes which I hate and vice versa but there's no problem as long as you respect each other's different tastes in music. On the other hand, there are plenty of bands that we are both into and fortunately we have both liked each other's "favourite" bands over the years enough to be gig buddies!
Old 07-11-2010, 00:19
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

They wouldn't have to like them, but, they'd at least have to be able to tolerate and put up with my obsessive behaviour about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermintrude the Cow View Post
I read that as "can change it" and had an image of you doing pelvic floor exercises like a mentalist, screaming "I will be a virgin again" whilst clutching a Care Bear and a picture of Richey...
Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
I, for one, am slightly turned on by your obsession with penis size as you are indeed the hottest chick on here.
Old 07-11-2010, 00:19
Bored out of my mind

Hmm no, can't say it would bother me. I like a bit of difference of opinion between me and any prospective partners; I think it's healthy sometimes. So no, as long as they didn't care about me going to multiple gigs on one tour...although I'm surprised how many people don't seem to understand that concept at all.
Old 07-11-2010, 00:28
I live to fall asleep

My other half likes the Manics as much as me(apart from the loving James bit).So I'm lucky there.He enjoys going to gigs and we've always liked pretty much the same music since we've known eachother.Don't think I could be with somebody who didn't like music and going to gigs.
Old 07-11-2010, 00:40
Stretched out in the sun

No. As long as your partner can appreciate your devotion to the band, you're alright. I like that me and Natalie have similar tastes but also our own things that the other isn't in to. Nat doesn't mind the Manics, but would never choose to listen to them - and that's fine with me.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:42
I am purity, they call me perverted

not a whit - I'd have to have reasonably compatible taste in music to live with someone, but that's the only time it'd matter, really.

my boyfriend had only listened to TIMT before he knew me, but I was so pleased over JfPL that he borrowed it and ended up loving it. he came to see them with me last year too, and will go again. they'll never be one of his favourite bands, but I'm glad he can see, even a bit, why I like them so much.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:03
I live to fall asleep

Probably. My ex girlfriend got into the Manics via me and she grew to love them cos I played them endlessly and we saw them several times together and talked about them. When (if) I get a new girlfriend in the future I'll obviously play the Manics around her and let her know they're my favourite band and she WILL grow to like them haha. Either way, music is one of the most important things in my life, I wouldn't get into a relationship with someone who didn't appreciate it or like something just like techo music or whatever. *Shudders*
Old 07-11-2010, 03:20
I live to fall asleep

My partner doesn't like the Manics, I'm cool with that. I don't think I'd like it actually. I like that fact that we're into different kinds of music, gives us more to talk about!

I'm not about to try and get him into them either, he is who he is and I love him for that, I don't want to change him in the slightest!