Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-10-2011, 16:53
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Finch View Post
Yeah I'm well aware it's not saag, but that pic just looks better,I haven't got photoshop.
Gimp is a nice free alternative.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:59
An imitation of dignity

Getting a little bit back on topic, i've just read that STV has dropped The Hour with immediate effect!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15300029

Obviously this is because it's shit but I quite like the idea that the last thing we ever seen on that show was the manics :-)

Maybe STV just decided the show had reached a peak at that point and they would never, ever have anything better on the programme than an acoustic session from the manics so why not just end it immediately?
Old 13-10-2011, 22:01
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun241 View Post
Getting a little bit back on topic, i've just read that STV has dropped The Hour with immediate effect!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15300029

Obviously this is because it's shit but I quite like the idea that the last thing we ever seen on that show was the manics :-)

Maybe STV just decided the show had reached a peak at that point and they would never, ever have anything better on the programme than an acoustic session from the manics so why not just end it immediately?

The Manics broke 'The Hour'.
Old 13-10-2011, 22:03
Builder of routine

the manics will be happy with that. They can put it on their CV .. 2011 - Last band to appear on The Hour
Old 13-10-2011, 22:19
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
Badly Drawn Boy???!!!

Ha... that's ME!!

Was nice to meet you Karen.

It was one of the most surreal moments in my life.

So basically I became Sean's best friend throughout the whole show! He wouldn't stop talking sometimes.

One of my favourite moments was when we were all in the room outside the studio and we were offered wine and they had bottles of beer for the Manics who had no yet arrived.

Then the elevator door opened and the three of them walked out and we all nearly shit in our pants.

Then Sean was like "I'm going for a piss" and he and Nicky went to the toilet leaving us alone with a hairy JDB!!

The director woman said "ooh...actually it's just water for you isn't it?" and James said yes.

I then asked if I could drink his beer and he said "yeah batter in"

That night was well fun.

I nearly spilled curry all over Nicky's jacket but luckily it landed on the floor...then Sean immediately pulled a tissue from his pocket, wiped up the mess in a flash and kicked the tissue down the back of the stage.

We got to speak to them at great length so I wouldn't shut up.

Sean surprised me the most but all in all it was terrific!!

Sorry man it's the hat and the beard that made me think of him

Sounds like you had a great time anyway.

"If you look after the sport the money will follow you, if you look after the money you'll kill the sport.''
Old 13-10-2011, 22:24
Footprint of history

Haha,had to laugh earlier when I found out about it getting cancelled! Poor Michelle.
Old 09-04-2012, 14:09
I am purity, they call me perverted

Sorry I knew there was something I had to do and forgot.

Was this topic!!

Yeah the Manics were the last ever guests on the hour as that turned out to be the last show!
There was plenty of conversation happening that night...mostly with Sean.

When he cleaned up my curry spill he was like "don't worry, I'm used to cleaning up after my kids".
Then he talked about his kids for a while.

Being a "musician" (i'm terrible) I asked him what was the hardest song to play.
He had a think and said there were quite a few but Faster was the most challenging.
And a moment I'll never forget... he looked a bit angry and said "Despite what some people may say"

I instantly knew what he was on about as after seeing them play Faster in the more recent sets it definitely felt slower. (When they played She Is Suffering on the Postcards tour I couldn't believe how slow that was)

"It's actually the same speed as the record you know...It's not a slower version it's just that I have to play to a click now. (Points at JDB) Because of him"
My eyes lit up all excited as I was witnessing some real emotion from Sean 1st hand!
"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well HE can't keep up"

I couldn't believe it. Sean was actually miffed at this!
He went on to describe how James was finding it hard catching his breath between lines.
I made the point that surely they were playing it too fast if that was the case.
And Sean looked up and made a face like he was divulging a dirty secret
"He never used to have a problem with it"
At which point I pissed myself laughing at the way he said it.

I heard someone mention Revol and James and Nicky sighed. Sean smiled and said he liked playing that one.
I turned to them and said "What is wrong with you two?! We love Revol!"

They went on to talk about the order of the set for the O2 gig and how they couldn't decide.
I asked if they were going to film it and Nicky said no.
Nicky said they had asked the record company to do a DVD and at first they were interested but got back to them saying they couldn't make enough of a return to invest.
"But we'll see" was his final words on the subject.
I turned to Sean and said they should just film it themselves and he said they were discussing that as a possibility.

I said I had heard they were going away for a few years and he just laughed.
"Well, we say that, but that won't happen. It may seem like that but we'll be busier than ever in the studio"
I asked if they were going to change direction musically and he hoped so but didn't know.

"You should go more proggy"

Nicky turned around and said "Oh yes"
I had a chuckle and said "What about a 2112 style album Nicky?"

JDB was smiling and Nicky said "Now you are talking. But we would have to get a new bass player! I could just write the lyrics"
I said "Surely Sean would have to write the lyrics" to which the wee one replied "No thanks!"
I talked about Neil Peart's Lyrics with Sean for a while.

I've been waffling on for a while now but just thought I would share that night with you.
It was ridiculously amazing for me.

We got our picture taken with the band after the show and that guy from Corrie stole their promo copy of National Treasures.
He was trying to say he was their biggest fan and got them to sign it.
He said "I've got all your albums but I'm sure I don't have this one"
We looked at him like he was a bit of a tool - obviously he wasn't paying attention at all to why they were on the show.

But basically I got to eat Curry with the Manics, drink JDB's beer, talk Rush with Nicky and Sean cleaned up my spilled curry.

I will always remember that night.

On the way to the pub (Solid Rock) we walked by the Radisson Blu hotel and James was just standing there smoking. We waved and he said "Stay out of trouble you lot"

Old 09-04-2012, 14:22
Desire on its knees

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-04-2012, 14:24
Freed from the century

Quote:

Was this topic!!

Yeah the Manics were the last ever guests on the hour as that turned out to be the last show!

When he cleaned up my curry spill he was like "don't worry, I'm used to cleaning up after my kids".

Being a "musician" (i'm terrible) I asked him what was the hardest song to play.
He had a think and said there were quite a few but Faster was the most challenging.
And a moment I'll never forget... he looked a bit angry and said "Despite what some people may say"

I instantly knew what he was on about as after seeing them play Faster in the more recent sets it definitely felt slower. (When they played She Is Suffering on the Postcards tour I couldn't believe how slow that was)

"It's actually the same speed as the record you know...It's not a slower version it's just that I have to play to a click now. (Points at JDB) Because of him"
My eyes lit up all excited as I was witnessing some real emotion from Sean 1st hand!

"Well HE can't keep up"

He went on to describe how James was finding it hard catching his breath between lines.
I made the point that surely they were playing it too fast if that was the case.

I heard someone mention Revol and James and Nicky sighed. Sean smiled and said he liked playing that one.

They went on to talk about the order of the set for the O2 gig and how they couldn't decide.
Nicky said they had asked the record company to do a DVD and at first they were interested but got back to them saying they couldn't make enough of a return to invest.
I turned to Sean and said they should just film it themselves and he said they were discussing that as a possibility.

"Well, we say that, but that won't happen. It may seem like that but we'll be busier than ever in the studio"
I asked if they were going to change direction musically and he hoped so but didn't know.

JDB was smiling and Nicky said "Now you are talking. But we would have to get a new bass player! I could just write the lyrics"
I said "Surely Sean would have to write the lyrics" to which the wee one replied "No thanks!"

I've been waffling on for a while now but just thought I would share that night with you.

We got our picture taken with the band after the show and that guy from Corrie stole their promo copy of National Treasures.
We looked at him like he was a bit of a tool - obviously he wasn't paying attention at all to why they were on the show.

But basically I got to eat Curry with the Manics, drink JDB's beer, talk Rush with Nicky and Sean cleaned up my spilled curry.

On the way to the pub (Solid Rock) we walked by the Radisson Blu hotel and James was just standing there smoking. We waved and he said "Stay out of trouble you lot"

Thanks for the write up. Such a shame they didn't get to record the 02 gig. They sound as if they wanted to.
Old 09-04-2012, 19:45
Footprint of history

Thanks for sharing, lovely story xx
Old 09-04-2012, 20:03
Winterlover

Sean's secret hatred towards his band and the other members' limitations grows larger and larger.

The time of his experimental progressive trance jazz solo project gets nearer. One day he will break free from the chains. One day.
Old 09-04-2012, 20:10
Bored out of my mind

You could hook up with Miles Davis, Seanus!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 09-04-2012, 20:53
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
You could hook up with Miles Davis, Seanus!
I have my doubts, such a collaboration might encounter a small practical issue...
Old 09-04-2012, 21:01
I live to fall asleep

Quote:

Was this topic!!

"Well HE can't keep up"

Lovely story,thanks for sharing
Old 09-04-2012, 21:08
Doors slowly closing

anyone has it?