Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-01-2015, 21:40
Stretched out in the sun

They may do okay with a gig here. Lots of folks from a couple of provinces and a couple of US states could easily make their way to check them out.
Old 21-01-2015, 21:53
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post
Where in Mexico are you? DF? Are there many fans there?
DF, yes. Well more than you would think. They are not overly popular, but Tolerate and You Stole The Sun are famous enough to attract the crowds. Also, a lot of people will go just because they are a "cult" band even though they are not fans.

But I mean if Editors, The Kooks and Kaiser Chiefs can sell out a 2,000 venue, so can they.
Old 21-01-2015, 21:53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyfindsrefuge View Post
The venue they played in Philly has a max capacity of 650.
650 995 1150 550 962 1100 1651 993 700 1350 1500 for all except Seattle so usually quite a bit smaller than Wolves which I think is 3000. From the sounds of it quite a few were under-filled too.

Last edited by Takk; 21-01-2015 at 23:39.
Old 21-01-2015, 22:22
I am purity, they call me perverted

From Manic Street Mania: http://www.timeout.com/chicago/music...rs#tab_panel_2
Old 21-01-2015, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
Toronto and NY were both 2,000+ venues.
This isn't true. Webster Hall is 1,500.
Old 21-01-2015, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupernovaStar View Post
DF, yes. Well more than you would think. They are not overly popular, but Tolerate and You Stole The Sun are famous enough to attract the crowds. Also, a lot of people will go just because they are a "cult" band even though they are not fans.

But I mean if Editors, The Kooks and Kaiser Chiefs can sell out a 2,000 venue, so can they.
Cool. I want to visit DF and a Manics show would motivate me to finally go. I agree in principal that Manics should attract more. I feel the same way about the US actually but it just doesn't happen. I wish they could promote things better.
Old 21-01-2015, 23:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lament View Post
This isn't true. Webster Hall is 1,500.
The toronto venue is only 1350 according to wik too?
Old 21-01-2015, 23:54
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a list of the venues they were supposed to play in 1995?

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 22-01-2015, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
The toronto venue is only 1350 according to wik too?
That sounds about right.
Old 22-01-2015, 00:06
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post
Cool. I want to visit DF and a Manics show would motivate me to finally go. I agree in principal that Manics should attract more. I feel the same way about the US actually but it just doesn't happen. I wish they could promote things better.

I would love it to happen and it would be glorious, few places with better crowds than Mexico. It is a city of 20 million +, so it is not that hard to find 2,000 Manics fans. The problem sometimes here are ticket prices. As promoters usually fly the bands from the US only to one concert, it is expensive to them flying the band, crew and equipment, so they try to compensate with ticket prices. That means, you probably won't find tickets for a concert of an international band for less than $40 USD, and in a country with a minimum wage of $5 USD per day, scares a lot of people away.
Old 22-01-2015, 00:36
A self-made vacuum

Sorry, but I am sure they will do Vancouver as their shows are always well attended there. They actually got airplay there, at least during TIMTTMY.

I saw them three times in Vancouver and every show was full if not sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabby View Post
I seriously hope if they do a North American run, that they go nowhere near British Colombia haha.
I was supposed to be here in Vancouver until August, however some stuff came up and so I'm going back home to Glasgow next week. Missed the Glasgow Holy Bible show cause I was on a working visa in Vancouver & now I'm CONVINCED they'll come here and I'll be gone

(sorry all Vancouverites, but it would be salt in the wound for me)

Last edited by FDGIRL; 22-01-2015 at 00:39.
Old 22-01-2015, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupernovaStar View Post
I would love it to happen and it would be glorious, few places with better crowds than Mexico. It is a city of 20 million +, so it is not that hard to find 2,000 Manics fans. The problem sometimes here are ticket prices. As promoters usually fly the bands from the US only to one concert, it is expensive to them flying the band, crew and equipment, so they try to compensate with ticket prices. That means, you probably won't find tickets for a concert of an international band for less than $40 USD, and in a country with a minimum wage of $5 USD per day, scares a lot of people away.
Right, I have heard about those factors. But on the other hand Mexico has devoted fan bases. I really wish it could happen. I think it would require a petition etc to show that the interest is there. Maybe a Mexico based 'fan club' to stir up interest. I am guessing this tour has been set already and Chicago just wasn't supposed to promote it yet - so too late for this round unless its already planned. Anyway, Thailand got a couple of shows in '94 because a bunch of sales (of motorcycle emptiness is I remember correctly) and a fanatical radio DJ. I think the station may have partially sponsored it too. If they come to Los Angeles again I hope you make it and we can celebrate with a beer!

Last edited by pcp; 22-01-2015 at 00:41.
Old 22-01-2015, 00:38
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lament View Post
That sounds about right.
How do you know? Are you from Toronto? Well I am so please don't try to school me on a venue I've been to on several occasions.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make before you two went all ridiculously literal was that not all of the venues are as small as was being implied.
Old 22-01-2015, 00:55
Builder of routine

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
What sort of venues do they play in the us? Wolves civic sort of thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Gigs over there are usually much smaller than that, I think.
i'm not sure of capacity but i was at metro (chicago) 2 weekends ago and it's *tiny* - i was there for the bloodshot records 20th birthday party (what is it with 20th anniversaries!) and my mate and i were leaning on the stage the whole way through. i went out to the bar/bathroom a couple of times and made it back to the stage immediately both times. it's really small. i can't wait
you're obliged to pretend respect for people and institutions you think absurd. you live attached in a cowardly fashion to moral and social conventions you despise, condemns, and know lack of all foundation. it is that permanent contradiction between your ideas and desires and all the dead formalities and vain pretenses of your civilization which makes you sad, troubled and unbalanced. in that intolerable conflict you lose all joy off life and all feeling of personality, because at every moment they suppress and restrain and check the free play of your powers. that's the poisoned and mortal wound of the civilized world.

Old 22-01-2015, 02:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
How do you know? Are you from Toronto? Well I am so please don't try to school me on a venue I've been to on several occasions.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make before you two went all ridiculously literal was that not all of the venues are as small as was being implied.
It sounds about right that every other venue was between about 500 and 1500, and that Toronto wasn't randomly a 2,000+ capacity.

Overstating the size of a venue by around 50% of what it actually is (1350 vs. 2000+) is actually a pretty big overstatement. That's not a matter of being "ridiculously literal."