Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 23:33
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzer View Post
On the 2nd listen, the final bit of this track really does feel like a band preparing to say goodbye, but a big goodbye, and for the record, that is the first time i've said this! i think this really will be the final GREAT phase of the Manic Street Preachers
Old 07-07-2013, 23:34
Desire on its knees

The drums sound great and are more driving than I expected, clearly not "banging on boxes" as James put it in one recent interview.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:34
Freed from the century

Not head over heels with it but it seems like something that will grow on me. It sounds like a song that improves if you're in the right sort of mood but it's a sunny day here and the promise of a new Manics album has got me too pumped up.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:36
Freed from the century

I like it.

I didn't think "wow, this is the best song they've written since A Design For Life!" or whatever, but it's ambitious and different whilst still having that comfortably familiar Manics feel to it.

I also think Hawley's voice suits the feel of the song, it gives it a bittersweet edge. We all love James but his voice can be a bit too melodic at times so I think Hawley gives the song a different edge to what it would have been like if it was just James.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:37
Stretched out in the sun

Amazon Canada does not sell digital downloads. Not on iTunes yet. Maybe in a few hours, as it is not even 6 pm here.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:40
Winterlover

It is growing on me. As others have suggested, I think the best immediate thing about it is how different it is to anything else they've ever done. That is really something to be applauded and encouraged, I truly think they've left behind that 'doing what we think we should' in favour of 'doing what we want', and that is just what they needed to do.

I don't think it sounds like a band saying goodbye - they lament like this all the time, it's who they are And in interviews they have been talking about wanting to go on and being inspired to no end. I'm getting a feeling of strength in their future from this, not uncertainty.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:43
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
It is growing on me. As others have suggested, I think the best immediate thing about it is how different it is to anything else they've ever done. That is really something to be applauded and encouraged, I truly think they've left behind that 'doing what we think we should' in favour of 'doing what we want'.

I don't think it sounds like a band saying goodbye - they lament like this all the time, it's who they are And in interviews they have been talking about wanting to go on and being inspired to no end. I'm getting a feeling of strength in their future from this, not uncertainty.
I agree, I think it marks a new period in the band's history. We had the angry, nihilistic punk phase from 1990/91 to 1994, then the stadium pop superstar era from 1996 to 2000, followed by the MOR period from 2001 to 2004 and then the "let's relive our youth/glory days" era of 2007 to 2010.

Question is, what era is this? The weird and experimental era?
Old 07-07-2013, 23:45
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCK View Post
Question is, what era is this? The weird and experimental era?
Sounds good to me!

...in the background, KYE pipes up '...guys. Guys. Why is the era I belong in happening 12 years after everyone laughed at me? Guys. Please.'
Old 07-07-2013, 23:48
I am purity, they call me perverted

I thought this was incredibly bizarre on my first listen. Loved the James parts, and the guitars in the chorus(?) are beautiful along with the strings. By my second listen I loved it, now looking forward to my third listen as I type this.

It's different, but not in a painful way. Different as in a "well, that was lovely" sort of way.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:51
Builder of routine

can be somehow downloadable for people not living in Germany/Spain? or do we need to wait till the album is out?
Old 07-07-2013, 23:53
Mr Msppedia

Try iTunes, and change regions to New Zealand (at the bottom)
Old 07-07-2013, 23:53
Doors slowly closing

Love it.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 07-07-2013, 23:56
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
Agree with this completely. I'm not sure where people are getting the sense of this being goodbye from.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:57
I'm just a pasty

The only bits I like are James'. Needs more James.

It's also just killed my phone!!
Old 07-07-2013, 23:59
A self-made vacuum

I'll listen to the radio in 7 hours(is it?) and give my impressions, until then Im jelly of everyone who has listen to it
Beware!