Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 19:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Still don't understand the 'tired' and 'bored' comments that have been made about Lifeblood in particular. Why does a slower pace suddenly make a song tired and boring?
More than anything, the songs just aren't there. And the production is a little to flash, crisp and clean for my liking. I prefer when they sound a little dirty.
Old 08-09-2010, 19:36
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.selfdestruct View Post
More than anything, the songs just aren't there.
Disagree with that. I don't mind songs being 'polished' or 'not so polished' (whatever the correct terms for that is! )
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-09-2010, 19:38
An imitation of dignity

James is an absolutely shit hot guitarist and vocalist, so for a start I would like to hear him really let rip and utilise both his strengths. He is at his best when it sounds like he's playing his last ever guitar solo ('Archives of Pain') and singing a song that demands everybodys attention ('Faster'). He strikes me as a very honest man who can't "fake it" and I think this comes across when he plays certain songs.

Nicky is (still) an angry guy with interesting opinions so I wanna hear him raging in his lyrics about the things that are important to him, and that will also resonate with other people. I don't know many people that share his affinty with Dysons for example, so I don't wanna hear about it. It's boring and pointless. I know he will never have the fire/demons/intelligence that Richey had (which he admits himself) but he's not an old man yet. His main attribute is his sharpness and his arrogance. Why not use them to his advantage? 'A Design For Life' is pretty much a perfect lyric. It's simple, effective and beautiful. Polar opposite to the way Richey wrote but just as valid.
Old 08-09-2010, 19:39
Stretched out in the sun

It's so frustrating to see a band with so much talent and intelligence and see them churn out an album any old 'guitar band' could have done.

I would so so love to love this album but it just pushes none of the buttons that any other Manics album could.
Old 08-09-2010, 19:43
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Kelly View Post
I would so so love to love this album but it just pushes none of the buttons that any other Manics album could.
For you.
Old 08-09-2010, 19:47
Bored out of my mind

My buttons are always getting well and truly pushed where the Manics are concerned!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-09-2010, 19:54
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon Bonaparte View Post
For you.
Sorry, should I have bolded and enlarged 'I'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
My buttons are always getting well and truly pushed where the Manics are concerned!
Haha! I'm glad everything they do does it for ya Trace.
Old 08-09-2010, 19:56
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Haha! I'm glad everything they do does it for ya Trace.
Cheers Kel!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:51
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Sorry, should I have bolded and enlarged 'I'?
Yes.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

Location: from Lisbon - Portugal, currently in São Paulo - Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think as Manics fans we definitely have a way of overcomplicating exactly what we want from the band. All we really want is good songs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
Exacty! And I don't feel the new record has them, sadly
And I think it has many great songs. Opinions, as always. No problems whatsoever with people not liking the new record, but I do have a big one with some of them dismissing those that happen to like it as blind followers or simply as easily satisfied with mediocre music.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
No problems whatsoever with people not liking the new record, but I do have a big one with some of them dismissing those that happen to like it as blind followers or simply as easily satisfied with mediocre music.
Yep, I agree. However, the same can be said of those accusing others of being anachronistic THB hags because they dont like the new album. I'm not easily offended by music opinions on this forum, but that's one accusation I find exceedingly rude. People are entitled not to like a particular sound even if it's produced by a band they love. Horses for courses and all that jazz.

Btw, I also rather like TIMT. All you haters can suck it, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 09-09-2010 at 03:38.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Yep, I agree. However, the same can be said of those accusing others of being anachronistic THB hags because they dont like the new album. I'm not easily offended by music opinions on this forum, but that's one accusation I find exceedingly rude. People are entitled not to like a particular sound even if it's produced by a band they love. Horses for courses and all that jazz.

Btw, I also rather like TIMT. All you haters can suck it, as far as I'm concerned.
And you were doing so well there
Old 09-09-2010, 06:05
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Too right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.selfdestruct View Post
And you were doing so well there
Ignore him!