Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-09-2014, 08:18
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
Nicky was apparently just on 6Music saying there could be a Midlands and Wales date in the new year, will have to get the listen again later to see what he said
Wales date in the new year, would be superb.
Old 29-09-2014, 10:20
Mr Msppedia

Nicky interview on 6Music this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jtq9j?t=100m42s (1hr 49:42 in)
Old 29-09-2014, 15:04
Mr Msppedia

Pretty much the whole interview transcribed

Quote:
Manic Street Preachers hint at Welsh castle show next year
29 September 2014 02:16 PM By David Owens
They may have missed Wales out on their sold out Holy Bible tour, but the Manics have hinted at an as-yet-unidentified castle show
JS40854753.jpg
Manic Street Preachers
They may have missed Wales out on their sold out Holy Bible tour, but Nicky Wire has hinted at a special treat for Welsh fans next year – an as-yet-unidentified castle show.

Speaking on the Shaun Keaveny breakfast show on BBC 6 Music, Wire made reference to the fact that there was no Welsh date on the Holy Bible tour scheduled for December – and suggested that this will be rectified next year.

“Because it (the tour) sold out so quickly and we didn’t play the Midlands or Wales on this tour we are hoping to rectify that," he said.

"I can’t be any more specific but fear not we shall satisfy some needs next year. One of them in Wales may involve a castle, that’s all I can say.”

The news will come as music to the ears of Welsh fans desperate to see the band play 20th anniversary concerts to celebrate the anniversary of the album viewed by many fans as a classic.

Wire also reminisced about the original Holy Bible tour in ‘94 and revealed what was planned for the anniversary shows.

“It was really gimmick free, there was loads of camouflage, loads of heavy duty make up. All the military uniform that we loved wearing.

“Then it felt like it was us against the world. We’ve just bought a load of camouflage because we realised the original camouflage wouldn’t pass health and safety, it would catch fire. It has to be non-flammable now, so we’ve bought loads.

“The lighting was kind of dark and understated (back then), we do want to try and recreate an element of that. We want to do two sets as well. We’re trying to figure out how we can incorporate the second set and do more Futurology, some B-sides and some rare stuff as well.

"We don’t want to short change the fans. We want to put together another interesting set to go with it."

The bass player said The Holy Bible tour took shape after the success of their last two albums.

“It’s only a year since Rewind The Film went in at number four, Futurology in at number two, with the best reviews we’ve probably ever had.

"We didn’t feel like we needed it. It wasn’t like coming back from a bad situation. We just started practising in the studio together, the songs felt really good and vicious – an antidote to the never ending acoustic saga that is Britain in 2014.

“There is nostalgia involved in doing The Holy Bible,” he added. “I can’t deny that, not many people saw it the first time round. We’ve never played the album in full anyway, so there’s an element of that, but we do feel like a vital functioning organism.

"We didn’t want to do it in arenas which we probably could have. We tried to find a similar feeling (with the venues) that we did back in 1994.”

Wire believed the songs from The Holy Bible have stood the test of time and are as vital now as ever before.

“The bravery of the music and the lyrics, the mastery of words – some of it is fantastic prose and does feel like it is as spine-tingling and relevant as ever, forcing you to confront internal and external fears. We revelled in that otherness back then.

“Even back then I knew Holy Bible would an absolutely classic album when the Mercury Prize ignored it. That was like a seal of approval from those tasteless idiots. We’ll be celebrating the same with Futurology in 20 years time.

Whether performing the lyrics of former Manics’ guitarist Richey Edwards would take an emotional toll, the musician said: “It’s hard to tell. The people we are we’ve always blasted through things, but there are always certain times when things catch up with you, so until you’re on stage you don’t quite know whether it will.”
Please either be Caerphilly, Conwy or Caernarfon castle (or Coch, though that'd be weird)
Old 29-09-2014, 15:12
Winterlover

Quote:
"I can’t be any more specific but fear not we shall satisfy some needs next year. One of them in Wales may involve a castle, that’s all I can say.”
That'll probably be an outdoor gig then, so maybe the summer?
Old 29-09-2014, 15:49
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
Pretty much the whole interview transcribed

Please either be Caerphilly, Conwy or Caernarfon castle (or Coch, though that'd be weird)
What about Pembroke or Chepstow? There are often gigs at Chepstow, though it may be too small. Aberysthwyth would be fitting, people trying to blow up Prince Charles and all that?

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 29-09-2014, 15:53
Builder of routine

It'll be Cardiff castle, surely?
Old 29-09-2014, 15:54
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicben View Post
It'll be Cardiff castle, surely?
Ah, too obvious! But yes, it will be.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 29-09-2014, 16:09
Freed from the century

Yeah, my first thought was Cardiff Castle. There was a Paul Weller gig there in July this year, so I guess it would be a summer thing.
Old 29-09-2014, 16:19
Builder of routine

I know Stereophonics, and Tom Jones have played there. So I just presumed. Have they played there before? For some reason I seem to think the infamous "Bobby Gould Must Go" incident happened there?
Old 29-09-2014, 17:08
I live to fall asleep

I wonder will these shows put to bed any more THB songs in the future? It's doubtful we'll get any more JFPL songs in future, I just wonder will it be the same with THB.
Old 29-09-2014, 17:12
Administrator

Nah, can't see that, personally.
Old 29-09-2014, 17:23
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicben View Post
I know Stereophonics, and Tom Jones have played there. So I just presumed. Have they played there before? For some reason I seem to think the infamous "Bobby Gould Must Go" incident happened there?
Yeah, but it was part of a Radio 1 festival thing, so all they played was a 5-song set.

This is the gig in question.
Old 29-09-2014, 17:52
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Wire
“It was really gimmick free, there was loads of camouflage, loads of heavy duty make up. All the military uniform that we loved wearing."
That doesn't sound particularly gimmick-free
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 29-09-2014, 17:55
Administrator

Would it be outside at the castle?
Old 29-09-2014, 18:00
Builder of routine

castles ? Please let it be somewhere those of us that don't drive can get to !