Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-11-2014, 11:14
Mr Msppedia

James & Sean Patagonia Trek for Velindre - November 2015

Quote:
Manic Street Preachers signed up for Velindre's trek to Patagonia

Nov 14, 2014 10:36
By Karen Price

Frontman James Dean Bradfield and drummer Sean Moore will be part of a 50-strong team following in the footsteps of our Welsh ancestors

TWO members of the Manic Street Preachers are joining a mammoth charity trek through Patagonia next year to mark the 150th anniversary when more than 160 people from Wales travelled there to begin a new life.

James Dean Bradfield and Sean Moore will be part of a 50-strong team hiking in aid of Cardiff-based Velindre Cancer Care Centre in November 2015.

Also following in the footsteps of the Welsh settlers will be Bafta-winning film producer Kieran Evans, it was revealed today. The line-up already includes BBC Wales weatherman Derek Brockway as well as a team from WalesOnline featuring columnist Carolyn Hitt and journalists Karen Price and Lorna Doran.

Manics frontman Bradfield said: “I’ve been a proud patron of Velindre for seven years, and as someone who has been fascinated by our Patagonia heritage, this trek has enormous appeal; it’s a great chance to raise funds for a cause that means a lot to me, and also a rare opportunity to walk in the footsteps of our ancestors exactly 150 years on.

“The route takes in some amazing scenery with icefalls, lakes and views of the Andes, but we also face a tough six-day trek, carrying our own kit, camping and walking up to 22 hours a day; but this is nothing compared to the challenges that cancer patients face each day. So I hope people will dig deep and help Sean and I support Velindre.”

Head of Fundraising at Velindre, Andrew Morris, said: “ It’s fantastic news that James and Sean are joining our Patagonia trek – everyone knows their work schedule is brutal, and for them to take the time out to support Velindre is absolutely fantastic news, and the publicity this will create will give a huge boost to our Victory over Cancer appeal.”

Weatherman Derek Brockway will be in Merthyr on Saturday Weatherman Derek Brockway

Wales and Patagonia share a very special relationship; nearly 150 years ago 162 men, women and children sailed on the Mimosa for a new life in South America.

Despite many hardships more settlers arrived in Patagonia and the Welsh language is still spoken and Eisteddfods’ held each year.

Meanwhile, Brockway has organised an eight-mile walk through his home town of Barry on Sunday, November 30 to raise funds for Velindre ahead of his Patagonia mission. Entry for the event is £5, and each participant will be required to raise a minimum of £50.00. If you would like to join him, visit www.velindrefundraising.com/bookonline

The trek is the latest fundraising challenge organised by Velindre. Earlier this year a team of cyclists, including former Welsh rugby international Jonathan Davies, cycled from Boston to New York.

To support Bradfield and Moore, visit www.justgiving.com/manicspatagoniatrek

Please donate, it's a very worthy cause - they treated my nan in her final weeks and are just brilliant so it's a cause very close to my heart.

https://www.justgiving.com/manicspatagoniatrek/
Old 14-11-2014, 11:23
Doors slowly closing

Nicky would have gone with them, he'd do anything to prove he cares, but it's harder there.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:26
I live to fall asleep

oh DK!

Will donate once it's payday, fantastic cause, amazing thing to do, well proud of the boys!

Livet δr kort, fφr kort fφr att slφsas bort
Lδmna hatet εt gamanar

Old 14-11-2014, 11:34
Administrator

Really cool. Not sure how he can have patagonian heritage though, if i am splitting hairs.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Nicky would have gone with them, he'd do anything to prove he cares, but it's harder there.
He's busy walking La Ramblas.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:42
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
He's busy walking La Ramblas.
Not with any real intent though.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:59
Doors slowly closing

Genuinely surprised at this - generally get the impression the boys don't 'do' discomfort. At least Nicky's being consistent

Donated.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)

Last edited by UEF; 14-11-2014 at 12:04.
Old 14-11-2014, 13:20
Bored out of my mind

Great cause! No sneaking a few pies into your backpack James!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 14-11-2014, 13:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Very impressed, boys!

Velindre's a great cause.

""All I ever wanted was a brute with cheekbones." Because I think that's all anyone ever wants."
- Richey Edwards
Old 14-11-2014, 14:37
Stretched out in the sun

Fucking legends
Old 14-11-2014, 16:40
HBIC

You know one thing: Sean will have the best rucksack ever invented.

Seriously though, BRAVO to the both of them
Old 14-11-2014, 17:11
Winterlover

Wow this seems really, impressively, out of character for them. Not doing good stuff for charity obviously, they've always been generous in playing charity shows or donating signed items etc, but for this famously insular band to put themselves physically out there and do this is very surprising. Well done chaps. I'll stick a few quid in for sure.

And no, I'm not surprised that Nicky ain't getting on no plane! Not if there's 6 days of walking involved.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 14-11-2014, 17:44
Administrator

Tbh, I suspect the insular tag is probably not as true as people believe, especially now they are all married with kids in different parts of the country. Fact is, we know very little about their none band stuff....so it doesn't really suprise me.
Old 14-11-2014, 18:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Tbh, I suspect the insular tag is probably not as true as people believe, especially now they are all married with kids in different parts of the country. Fact is, we know very little about their none band stuff....so it doesn't really suprise me.
Indeed, Mitch Ikeda's book noted Sean was the most likely to sight see while on tour, and James has always talked of his love of Japan and his desire to travel the Silk Road.

Have you seen her, have you heard/the way she plays there are no words/to describe the way I feel
Old 14-11-2014, 21:12
Bored out of my mind

Donated!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)