Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-12-2013, 00:26
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
I couldnt really imagine any Britpop bands singing "Harvest your overies - Dead mothers crawl"
Brett Anderson would've happily thrown that into any Suede song of the period to be honest.
Old 20-12-2013, 01:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
No.

Brit pop incorporated a time and a place

More than the music it was a collection of bands tied by a romantic view of England, new labour and fashion and the manics still had a very English quality but it was more resigned than a celebration and rather than embrace new labour and go about kissing the babies with tony like blur and oasis did they viewed new labour as the better of two evils - a d while embracing elements of the fashion there is still something different - would bone head or the gallaghers don a dress like wire did during that period such as nynex.
I feel like you are describing the essence of english/british culture/political culture in the late 90s, something like 'Cool Britannia' rather than britpop per se. I thought nicky was pretty pro-new labour at the time...and their style in 1996-2000 was hardly unique, they looked like any other average britpop band.

I'm not sure I'd consider it britpop, and there are reasons, but it does seem like a lot of the reasons here boil down to 'of course not, because the manics were good and britpop was shit', when the Manics share some of the elements of britpop.

There be no mention of them on the wikpedia britop article, so that settles it
Old 20-12-2013, 08:29
Builder of routine

i loved britpop but to me the sound was influenced by the 60s -beatles/kinks/the who/small faces and the fashion and whole scene was part of that. It wasn't just the music. The manics were different to that which is why they get left out of the lists, but as nicky has said they were hanging onto their coat tails
Old 20-12-2013, 09:22
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
I don't class it as a Brit Pop album. Brit Pop, to me, was in 1995.
Old 20-12-2013, 11:18
Bored of being bored

To me they caught the tail end of the 'Britpop' craze, especially supporting Oasis at Knebworth, Loch Lomond etc… it certainly thrust them into the Britpop gaze.

I remember going to a Manics gig and there being a war of words with Oasis fans.

They were definitely not a Britpop band, just passed through the craze and came out the otherside.
2002 - V2002, Birmingham
2003 - Punchestown, Birmingham
2004 - Nottingham, Birmingham
2005 - Cardiff, Derby, Wolverhampton, Bristol, London, London
2006 - V2006, Gwyl Macs, Sheffield, Birmingham, Newbridge, Stoke, Manchester
2007 - Cardiff, Wolverhampton, Llandudno, Bristol, Truro, Cardiff Point, V2007, Birmingham
2009 - London, Wolverhampton
2010 - Birmingham
2011 - Wolverhampton, T in The Park, V2011, o2 Arena
2014 - Cardiff, Wolverhampton, Brixton, T in The Park, Manchester, London
2015 - Wolverhampton, Cardiff
2016 - Birmingham, Swansea, Truck Festival
2017 - Bristol
2018 - Birmingham, Ynot, Beautiful Days
2019 - Bath, Tramlines
2021 - Camper Calling, Cardiff, Stoke, Kingston, Wembley
2022 - Ynot, Lakefest
2023 - Bath
Old 20-12-2013, 17:23
I live to fall asleep

For me it is Britpop cos of the fact it came out at the tail end of Britpop. I also consider it Britpop after JDB said on the EMG documentary that he saw Noel G with his Union Jack guitar on TOTP and went out for a 5 hour walk to reflect upon Noel G being so in control of his own world. There a tinge of envy there and wanting a piece of the action. EMG is very much Britpop.

On a separate note TIMT is most certainly post-Britpop. Was OK Computer the album that heralded post-Britpop?
Old 20-12-2013, 17:51
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
On a separate note TIMT is most certainly post-Britpop.
This I agree with, even though I definitely don't see EMG as Britpop in any way.

Even at the time EMG was distinct from everything else that was going on. It was guitar pop from a British band but it was markedly different to the Blur/Oasis/Sleeper/Menswear/Lush sort of scene.
Old 20-12-2013, 18:16
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
British, perhaps?
no English :-p

the English are more pessimistic, emg is imbued with a sense of pessimism, rebuilding but being unsure which is an English sensibility.

Much the same as rtf is very welsh as it has that beautiful wistful poetic quality prevalent in much of the valeys
Old 20-12-2013, 19:46
Footprint of history

Scenes are products of an over-reflective cultural press

THERE WAS NO BRITPOP
Old 20-12-2013, 20:09
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Scenes are products of an over-reflective cultural press

THERE WAS NO BRITPOP
what about scenes which are below the 'press line' and exist through word of mouth and small print run fanzines?
Old 20-12-2013, 20:36
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
Was OK Computer the album that heralded post-Britpop?
Not sure, never classed Radiohead as being part of Britpop. The Bends was pure rock. Beetlebum & Blur's self titled record signalled the end of Britpop for me.

EMG is definitely not Britpop though.
Old 20-12-2013, 22:03
Winterlover

I think this is an interesting, frustrating question and the kind of essentially pointless debate that's like pure music fan catnip.

Perhaps it all comes down to intent, so let's try looking from the inside out.... Did they look around at the status quo (NB: not Status Quo) and intentionally set out to make the shiny, mostly poppy (for them) guitar record they ended up with? Because it sure as hell did capitalise nicely on the times at hand. I've always liked to believe it was - in the wake of Richey's disappearance - mostly organic, and less cynical. Up until the shiny, trebly production went on, anyway.

And how do you define Britpop, or a Britpop band? Suede for example were never Britpop, they were releasing the dark, romantic Dog Man Star when it started, and the brilliant plastic pop of Coming Up was then largely overlooked when it came out after the whole thing had peaked.

And just to be annoying, it is definitely 'Britpop' as opposed to 'Brit Pop'. This comes from at least two of the writers who claim to have invented the horrid phrase, so there.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 20-12-2013, 22:36
I live to fall asleep

A point to add to the YES camp is Mike Hedges point in the EMG documentary that he reminded the band in one of his bullshitting sessions that they all loved was that they were a great British rock band and thats what they should be on this album. And that's what they are. Further adds to the fact that the album should be included in any Britpop definitive list (but nowhere near being top of that list)
Old 21-12-2013, 17:35
I am purity, they call me perverted

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britpop

At the bottom in the diagram Manics are the only Brit Pop band from the beginning until today... I don't think so although I always say "Britpop" when somebody asks who they are because everything else is even more wrong when you try to describe it with one word.
EMG is as britpop as a non Blur non Suede record can be, but I think it is their only britpop album.
Old 21-12-2013, 19:27
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Potter View Post
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britpop

At the bottom in the diagram Manics are the only Brit Pop band from the beginning until today... I don't think so although I always say "Britpop" when somebody asks who they are because everything else is even more wrong when you try to describe it with one word.
EMG is as britpop as a non Blur non Suede record can be, but I think it is their only britpop album.
Are you German, or do you read German out of preference? I used to be pretty good, but like everything else I dropped after my GCSEs, I'm not any more.

Strangely, the English version of that page doesn't mention the Manics once.

Last edited by Tom Traubert; 21-12-2013 at 19:43.