Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-10-2009, 00:33
Freed from the century

It depends on what they're already into, too. I put a lot of the Manics' singles (especially the bigger hits) on a mix I made for a friend (who's now my fiancee as well - she goes by chuckjd on here). I figured they would be more ear-friendly for someone who's being exposed for the first time. Her musical taste is all over the place, so I just tried to pick songs that were either easy to pick out the words or that had good stories behind them to get her interested.

She loves music trivia too, so I wrote a page of "liner notes" about the topics of each song and what inspired them. Does your fiance have other interests you could include? If he's a visual person, you could maybe watch FD with him or something.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2009, 00:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

I sorta did this the other day, but more as a "see, there's more to them than Design for Life" CD.

Sleepflower
You Love Us
Natwest-Barclays-Midlands-Lloyds
From Despair to Where
Autumnsong
Archives of Pain
Faster
Us Against You
Imperial Bodybags
Slash 'n' Burn
ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfa llapart
Revol
She Bathed Herself in a Bath of Bleach
Judge Yr'self
The Masses Against the Classes
Motown Junk

Starts off with a few catchy/riffy songs to get things going, then BAM hit them with Archives . Mostly just my favourites of their heavy songs

Last edited by lopaz; 12-10-2009 at 00:48.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:01
Desire on its knees

*LOL* there are so many north american FDers that i have never seen before replying to this thread.
i love it! hello everyone

this is the mix i just put on his computer:
  • you love us
  • yes
  • umbrella
  • tsunami
  • train in vain (live)
  • this is yesterday
  • there by the grace of god [acoustic]
  • take the skinheads bowling
  • slash n' burn
  • send away the tigers
  • a secret society
  • roses in the hospital
  • repeat (uk)
  • raindrops keep falling on my head
  • pretension/repulsion
  • peeled apples
  • out of time
  • no surface all feeling
  • motown junk
  • motorcycle emptiness
  • methadone pretty
  • me and stephen hawking
  • marlon j.d.
  • love's sweet exile
  • la tristesse durera (scream to a sigh)
  • kevin carter
  • jackie collins existential question time
  • if you tolerate this your children will be next
  • further away
  • from despair to where
  • everything must go
  • a design for life
  • black holes for the young {ft. sophie ellis-bextor}
  • autumnsong
  • australia
  • another invented disease
i'm sure i've missed some stuff, but i think its a good thirty-six track starter kit

but i'm definitely interested to see more people's "intro to the manics" mixes! everything posted so far has been really really good!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:47
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynRoxie View Post
This was the one I'd made for my parents (unfamiliar with the Manics except for me hollering about them all the time ) a couple weeks ago to listen to and it went over quite well! More of a favorites than best thing, though, and The Holy Bible tracks at the US Mixes because I like them better and I think they sound more 'accessible', too:
1. Archives of Pain
I love how you opened with Archives of Pain Such a nice and mellow way to introduce someone to the Manics

I did such a compilation some months ago, problem was I did in collaboration with a friend of mine who's more of a casual fan so we had to mediate between his more 'mainstream' taste and mine.
In the end it was something like this:

Stay Beautiful
Motorcycle Emptiness
Little Baby Nothing (acoustic)
Sleepflower
From Despair to Where
La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)
Life Becoming a Landslide
Yes
Faster
Of Walking Abortion
4st 7lb
Die in the Summertime
Judge Yr'self
A Design For Life
Small Black Flowers that Grow in the Sky ?
No Surface All Feeling
The Everlasting
Nobody Loved You
Epicentre
Freedom of Speech Won't Feed My Children
Empty Souls
Cardiff Afterlife
Solitude Sometimes Is
This Joke Sport Severed
Marlon J.D.
All Is Vanity
Peeled Apples

Yeah, I don't like it either.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:00
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
I love how you opened with Archives of Pain Such a nice and mellow way to introduce someone to the Manics
LOL!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:19
Stretched out in the sun

I'd probably sling Mash on there for familiarity's sake.
Old 12-10-2009, 18:58
Desire on its knees

Quote:
This was the one I'd made for my parents (unfamiliar with the Manics except for me hollering about them all the time ) a couple weeks ago to listen to and it went over quite well! More of a favorites than best thing, though, and The Holy Bible tracks at the US Mixes because I like them better and I think they sound more 'accessible', too:
1. Archives of Pain
2. Marlon J.D.
3. Love's Sweet Exile
4. Die In The Summertime
5. Judge Yr'self
6. Black Garden
7. Stay Beautiful
8. Faster
9. To Repel Ghosts
10. Nobody Loved You
11. Motorcycle Emptiness
12. She is Suffering
13. Peeled Apples
14. Slash n' Burn
15. Vision Blurred
16. You Love Us
17. Bored Out of My Mind
18. Fragments
19. From Despair to Where
20. Close My Eyes
Great list
I have a different issue i have a mate who i generally share the same music taste except they say the Manics are boring *gasp* they know most of the big hits and i need to make a mix cd to prove they are not boring, not sure where to start

was thinking to include:
Prologue to history
Imperial bodybags
vision blurred
Archieves of pain
Judge yourself

Am almost nervous to give her it, as if she doesn't like it she will incessantly go on that thats proved her right but i really want to convert her, apart from her lack of manics love shes the perfect mate
Old 14-10-2009, 07:08
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Yeah those are good ones! I understand how people who have heard primarily the hit-tracks have a different impression of the band than those who have heard more of their catalog - especially the b-sides, that's like a whole different world! Here's something I was going to do a thread on, but since it is related to the topic here, I'll go on ahead:
I'm putting together a Manics best-of compilation for a music blog, 80 Minutes for Life (and writing a corresponding article, too). The catch is that it has to be limited to just one disc. I'm not sure it can be done, but I am going to try!

The good news is that, which helps narrow choices down, the 80MFL rules restrict mixes to what's available on iTunes/Last.fm (so no demos/live tracks or b-sides, apart from what's on Lipstick Traces, to contend with). I feel it's a bit strange for there to be five tracks from Generation Terrorists, but I don't really see how I can leave any of those out! Here is what the mix is looking like so far, this might be nearly the final one actually, but if there's songs that ought to be swapped out and suggestions, I'm all up for that:
---
Slash n' Burn
Love's Sweet Exile
You Love Us
Motorcycle Emptiness
Stay Beautiful
Sleepflower
From Despair to Where
Yes
Faster
4st 7lb
Judge Yr'self
Everything Must Go (or Kevin Carter?)
A Design for Life
No Surface All Feeling (scrap it to make room for something else? argh...)
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
Found That Soul
The Love of Richard Nixon
Your Love Alone is Not Enough
Jackie Collins Existential Question Time
---
There's a lot of particular favorites I didn't include because I was trying to think of what Manics songs are most important in the band's history and for a newcomer to the band to hear, plus there are a lot of essential tracks that aren't going to fit...what did I get myself into? Hopefully this will be the sort of mix that would encourage someone to check out full albums, though!

Last edited by MarilynRoxie; 14-10-2009 at 07:19.
Old 14-10-2009, 07:24
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Yeah those are good ones! I understand how people who have heard primarily the hit-tracks have a different impression of the band than those who have heard more of their catalog - especially the b-sides, that's like a whole different world! Here's something I was going to do a thread on, but since it is related to the topic here, I'll go on ahead:
I'm putting together a Manics best-of compilation for a music blog, 80 Minutes for Life (and writing a corresponding article, too). The catch is that it has to be limited to just one disc. I'm not sure it can be done, but I am going to try!

The good news is that, which helps narrow choices down, the 80MFL rules restrict mixes to what's available on iTunes (so no demos/live tracks or b-sides, apart from what's on Lipstick Traces, to contend with). I feel it's a bit strange for there to be five tracks from Generation Terrorists, but I don't really see how I can leave any of those out! Here is what the mix is looking like so far, this might be nearly the final one actually, but if there's songs that ought to be swapped out and suggestions, I'm all up for that:
---
Slash n' Burn
Love's Sweet Exile
You Love Us
Motorcycle Emptiness
Stay Beautiful
Sleepflower
From Despair to Where
Yes
Faster
4st 7lb
Judge Yr'self
Everything Must Go (or Kevin Carter?)
A Design for Life
No Surface All Feeling (scrap it to make room for something else? argh...)
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
Found That Soul
The Love of Richard Nixon
Your Love Alone is Not Enough
Jackie Collins Existential Question Time
---
There's a lot of particular favorites I didn't include because I was trying to think of what Manics songs are most important in the band's history and for a newcomer to the band to hear, plus there are a lot of essential tracks that aren't going to fit...what did I get myself into? Hopefully this will be the sort of mix that would encourage someone to check out full albums, though!
Five tracks from GT and five tracks from the last five albums? No tracks from LB? No way!
I say you can easily remove Slash n' Burn and Love's Sweet Exile and include 1985 or Cardiff Afterlife. Also, why The Love of Richard Nixon?
Old 14-10-2009, 07:30
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
Five tracks from GT and five tracks from the last five albums? No tracks from LB? No way!
I say you can easily remove Slash n' Burn and Love's Sweet Exile and include 1985 or Cardiff Afterlife. Also, why The Love of Richard Nixon?
But "The Love of Richard Nixon" is from Lifeblood...! XD I just went with it to pick something from the album at the time - you're probably right about swapping it with "1985" or "Cardiff Afterlife" though, maybe I will go with "1985"...I do like it better anyway! And no matter what, "Love's Sweet Exile" isn't going anywhere!
Old 14-10-2009, 08:07
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by &ria View Post
my fiance was converted into a fan at the toronto show and he wants me make him a cd but i don't know where to start.
Start at the Toronto setlist.
Old 14-10-2009, 08:16
Builder of routine

Quote:
But "The Love of Richard Nixon" is from Lifeblood...! XD I just went with it to pick something from the album at the time - you're probably right about swapping it with "1985" or "Cardiff Afterlife" though, maybe I will go with "1985"...I do like it better anyway! And no matter what, "Love's Sweet Exile" isn't going anywhere!
Richard Nixon is not best choice from LB, I think. and too much GT. I understand, the lyrics are brilliant, but the music? LSE is much better with the video, alone is not that great.
Old 14-10-2009, 09:59
Desire on its knees

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...ad.php?t=49818
31-5-96 Newport 21-10-96 Exeter 12-12-96 Cardiff 9-4-97 Plymouth 24-5-97 Mcr 23-8-97 Reading 20-9-98 Port Talbot 19-12-98 Exeter 21-12-98 Cardiff 27-3-99 Brussels 28-3-99 Paris 26-6-99 Glasto 22-8-99 V99 31-12-99 Cardiff 8-3-01 Cardiff 27-03-01 Mcr 28-3-01 Mcr 23-8-01 Cardiff 25-8-01 Reading 12-9-01 Ldn 18-8-02 V2002 6-12-02 Mcr 29-6-03 Glasto 11-7-03 Mcr 17-12-04 Mcr 9-4-05 Liverpool 7-10-06 Sheffield 17-5-07 Sheffield 8-12-07 Birmingham 21-8-08 Newport 28-5-09 Ldn 12-10-10 Derby 16-10-10 Lincoln 31-10-10 Leicester 1-11-10 Cambridge 22-1-11 Ldn 19-5-11 Wolves 17-12-11 Ldn 27-9-13 Mcr 31-3-14 Leicester 6-4-14 Wolves 8-7-14 Ldn 11-12-14 Mcr 16-12-14 Ldn 17-12-14 Ldn 30-5-15 Edinburgh 29-5-16 Swansea 18-10-17 Ldn 4-5-18 Ldn 19-6-18 Ldn 31-5-19 Leicester 3-12-21 Ldn
Old 14-10-2009, 12:22
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
But "The Love of Richard Nixon" is from Lifeblood...! XD
Oh my god! I will ban myself out of shame. I can't help but thinking about TLORN as a song from KYE. I don't know if it's because of the theme or because I don't like it
Goodbye, I'm leaving the forum for good D:
Old 14-10-2009, 12:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

Ocean spray too mellow? What the?! Blimey, what do you call Small Black Flowers then??