Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-05-2015, 22:29
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I saw The Kinks in the early 90's. And at the start, Ray Davies came on (Wearing a fucking mac like he'd just got off the train, the poser!) and played some of their best songs on an acoustic guitar. He then went behind the curtain which opened and the band played a full set.
Which unfortunately contained their attempts to sell "Phobia" to the crowd who had come along to hear their 60's hits played by a full band... Instead of an acoustic run though.

I mention this because at least James puts more effort into his acoustic sets! Ray looked really miserable.
Although "The Everlasting" to a backing track. You could have got two other songs in that time.

I couldn't make any of the shows this year, but THB live was incredible.
Old 01-06-2015, 00:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

I had a seat in the upper circle and was sooo jealous of you guys down on the floor. Not that I'm complaining though, I loved it and feel really lucky that they played Condemned, I actually had been thinking about it the night before as I knew they played some rarities in December, and I've been listening to Condemned a lot lately. Perfect.

I was strolling around Edinburgh earlier that day and randomly spotted Sean on Rose Street, I didn't have the courage to go up to him and say hi though, haha, oh well. He was probably shopping for gadgets or something.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:05
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Not sure about The Everlasting with a backing track though; either do it simply acoustic or full band...or not at all and play something else
Yeah I thought that was a strange one too. I love Everlasting but I agree, just the acoustic guitar or full band version would be better. No Surface All Feeling acoustic in 2007 worked well with synths, just thought for such a poignant song, the drum machine made Everlasting sound a bit tacky. Still, been the acoustic section that's stood out for me last few tours that's had the changes and surprises I've liked most, sure it'll change. Or we'll at least get Can't Take My Eyes Off You in Cardiff..
Old 01-06-2015, 11:13
Administrator

I like the everlasting, but seriously....so many acoustic choices, and it is the holy bible tour!
Old 01-06-2015, 14:13

I would have loved to hear something off James's solo album for the acoustic part, though I know that's never gonna happen. Further Away would have been nice.
Old 01-06-2015, 19:39

Everlasting was not good at all - backing track completely distracting. Everything else was top quality, including the crowd. Masoleum has to stay in the set once these shows are done.

Sorry if you were near me I was prob the one shouting out of tune all the way through
Old 01-06-2015, 19:51
Born to end

Amazing. I still feel like it was a dream...
Old 01-06-2015, 20:50
Bored of being bored

Having seen them in Manchester on the previous leg of the holy bible tour, I was a bit surprised at the venue choice. The Albert Hall was quite dark and claustrophobic and fitter the holy bible mood far more, whilst the Usher Hall was far more fitting for big rousing sing alongs such as a Design for Life.

The band seemed far more relaxed than last time round. I'm sure the band didn't say a word till This is Yesterday last time round whilst there was a fair amount of chat, if not full on Manics stories, between songs. That said, I'm sure James messed up the first chorus of PCP.

I agree with previous comments regarding the Everlasting. James' acoustic version is great, and there's no need to play along with a dodgy backing track. If you want drums there get Sean on stage!

Condemned to Rock n Roll was utterly epic. The videos might not show it but my seciton of the crowd embraced it euphorically. Whilst the crowd may have gone a little lifeless in the middle (what exactly were they supposed to do during the soloing but stare in wonder?) the mass clap along for the outro was amazing.

The rest of the greatest hits set was pulled off professionally as expected, with little in the way of surprises either for omissions or songs played. But how many huge unexpected songs did people really expect?

The only downer of the gig was that someone (or many people) seemed to be letting off horrendous farts on a regular basis. I blame the burrito bar next door to the venue.
Old 01-06-2015, 21:37

The first chorus of PCP was drumless for a moment. From my view in the circle could see Sean had dropped a stick...
Old 03-06-2015, 16:13

Here you can view my pictures

https://manicsitalia.wordpress.com/2...urgo-30052015/

Manics items wanted + & trade & sell

09/10/10 King George's Hall, Blackburn
17/12/11 O2 Arena, London
30/04/12 X-Tra, Zurich
11/04/14 O2 Brixton Academy, London
23/05/14 Bataclan, Paris
30/05/15 Usher Hall, Edinburgh
16/05/16 Royal Albert Hall, London
Old 03-06-2015, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
The first chorus of PCP was drumless for a moment. From my view in the circle could see Sean had dropped a stick...
He dropped a stick at the end of This Is Yesterday as well. Amateur.
Old 04-06-2015, 20:59
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture slut View Post
Good stuff.
Old 07-06-2015, 23:41
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture slut View Post
Great photos!

Here are a handful of mine (mostly of James as per usual):

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 14-08-2017 at 19:26.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:40
Born to end

Hello all! Long-time Manics fan but first time poster here (I first got into them around KYE and was blown away when I heard THB).

I attended this wonderful gig and wrote a review on my blog http://nickwilford.blogspot.co.uk/20...hers-play.html, if anyone would like to check it out.