Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-08-2015, 20:40
Bored out of my mind

I was talking about this either today or yesterday. I definitely prefer RTF to Futurology (that's not to say I don't like Futurology either though, because I do) and this is the album that has stuck with me more than the other. It hit me emotionally a lot more than Futurology and it's the perfect album to listen to on rainy car journeys (and I've been on a lot of these lately...welcome to British summer time!). Show Me the Wonder still feels like an anomaly on an otherwise melancholic and atmospheric album, but the rest of it flows nicely.
Old 19-08-2015, 18:46
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
I was talking about this either today or yesterday. I definitely prefer RTF to Futurology (that's not to say I don't like Futurology either though, because I do) and this is the album that has stuck with me more than the other. It hit me emotionally a lot more than Futurology and it's the perfect album to listen to on rainy car journeys (and I've been on a lot of these lately...welcome to British summer time!). Show Me the Wonder still feels like an anomaly on an otherwise melancholic and atmospheric album, but the rest of it flows nicely.
RTF is definitely more of an autumn/winter album. I'll probably end up listening to it more as the nights draw in and the frost appears on the window.
Old 19-08-2015, 19:13
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
RTF is definitely more of an autumn/winter album. I'll probably end up listening to it more as the nights draw in and the frost appears on the window.
I shall listen to the far superior Lifeblood when the nights draw in.
Old 19-08-2015, 20:15
Knowlede Is Power

I've been going between RTF and SATT for some reason.
Listening at night with the headphones on.

RTF to my mind is best heard like that. It's one I feel that needs really listening to in a quiet room.
It's at the moment a better album than Futurology.
I love Futurology and raved about it at the time it came out but currently I do skip a few tracks on it and as I'm not a fan of instrumentals it seems a very short album to me!

30 year war ends the album perfectly for me.
And I don't think SMTW is out of place at all - I always think of the videos that were made for this album and then all the songs seem to fit the album just right.
Old 21-08-2015, 14:34
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
I shall listen to the far superior Lifeblood when the nights draw in.
In reality, I'll be listening to all the Manics albums when the night draws in.
Old 21-08-2015, 17:11
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
True - but does that necessarily impact on their quality?
No, but it would be nice to know what the difference is, aside from 20 seconds or so that I can't identify!
Old 21-08-2015, 17:19
I live to fall asleep

I think 'Rewind The Film' is one of their most consistent albums. There's barely a track on it I don't like, the general quality is very high. It has a really strong set of lyrics (it's actually one of their most quotable albums), I love the amount of brass on it, and it has some real stand-out tracks - the sublime title track, 'As Holy As The Soil' and '30 Year War' are probably my three favourite tracks on it, but 'This Sullen Welsh Heart', 'Builder Of Routines' and 'Anthem For A Lost Cause' are great as well. Basically, if your 'filler' is the more than decent 'Running Out Of Fantasy' then you know it's a good album
Old 21-08-2015, 21:08
Under neon loneliness

I've been playing Manorbier on repeat for hours today. It just isn't long enough.
Old 22-08-2015, 16:51
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I've been listening to this constantly all week. I must say I'm enjoying this so much at the minute... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7IkKgWSeg

Old 22-08-2015, 21:09
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
I've been listening to this constantly all week. I must say I'm enjoying this so much at the minute... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7IkKgWSeg
I love that song so much. It's a real mix of things I love - it has a gospel feel but with brass too. Nick's vocal is actually lovely in an understated way, and when James comes in and the outro is gorgeous. I seem to remember Nick saying they were undecided at one point whether this or 'Anthem' should have been the second single. They probably chose correctly in terms of the more commercial track, but I can't help but wish that they'd put this out. Beautiful songwriting.
Old 23-08-2015, 13:58
Freed from the century

Decent b-sides on the RTF singles, too, even if there were so few of them.
Old 23-08-2015, 14:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
I love that song so much. It's a real mix of things I love - it has a gospel feel but with brass too. Nick's vocal is actually lovely in an understated way, and when James comes in and the outro is gorgeous. I seem to remember Nick saying they were undecided at one point whether this or 'Anthem' should have been the second single. They probably chose correctly in terms of the more commercial track, but I can't help but wish that they'd put this out. Beautiful songwriting.
Yeah one of my favourite songs from the album, really great.
Old 25-08-2015, 08:27
Desire on its knees

I never tire of Tokyo Skyline - seem to notice different things on every listen.
Old 25-08-2015, 19:01
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by roi View Post
I never tire of Tokyo Skyline - seem to notice different things on every listen.
My favourite song on that album, even if it is predominantly a, er, Bittersweet Symphony < The Last Time-style 'homage' to the Max Richter track that comprises a considerable portion of it.
Old 29-08-2015, 01:30
Freed from the century

I enjoy this album more and more as time goes on. When it was first released I was a bit disappointed with the album over all, despite there being some great songs on it. I listen to This Sullen Welsh Heart, I Miss the Tokyo Skyline, Running Our of Fantasy, Manorbier and 30-Year War quite a lot. It took quite a lot of time for me to open up to the album but I'm so happy I kept going back to it