Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-08-2017, 17:28
Bored out of my mind

I enjoyed the Manics themselves, but these recent gigs have just reiterated how little a fan I am of festivals. Too many bands I don't care about (PSB were decent, but oh my god The Cribs were beyond DIRE), too much time stood waiting for the band to come on (some of which was in the pouring rain, welcome to British summer time!) and earlier gates means more time for the crowd to get pissed up, which inevitably leads to drunken dicks skittling people who've been waiting hours out the way as soon as the Manics come on. If I sound bitter, it's because I am and have had one too many gigs ruined by absolute arseholes who are so wasted they can't even stand up properly. A drunk woman pushed in next to me on the barrier after using my back as a climbing frame for the entirety of Motorcycle Emptiness, whilst her even more drunken boyfriend/husband/whatever he was couldn't even keep his arms in the air and kept hitting me on the head and in the face every few minutes. I told him to stop, woman next to me gave me an earful of abuse saying it's not their fault they're being pushed by those behind them...even though it wasn't the pushing it was the being hit in the head I was complaining about and they were the ones who had pushed everyone else out the way and were still the cause of the crushing themselves when nothing was even going on on stage! Security eventually told the bloke to stop and he backed off, but she continued to be a totally selfish bitch for the entire gig and wouldn't stop trying to push me over or waving her arms right in my face so I could barely take any decent photos or even see properly at some points. I'm so fed up of people like this ruining it for those who just want to watch the band. Even when I personally manage to avoid such wankers, I always come online and see others saying they had their gig ruined in the same way. So many people just come to live music events to get drunk nowadays, although having said that the woman next to me did actually know a lot of the words to the Manics' songs, so it's a shame a fellow fan couldn't have cared less about ruining it for other fans around her. Her and her boyfriend also kept booing the sound desk guy that James thanked (or wished happy birthday to or something?? I can't actually remember now, he gave a shout out to him anyway), which was the weirdest fucking thing ever. People like them just put me off gigs and there's a small part of me (admittedly, a very small part of me) that just doesn't want to bother with it all after incidents like this, because I come away in such a bad mood and with such a bitter taste in my mouth about the experience, which is the total opposite of what it should be about. But hey ho, it was one gig and I've been to many others without these issues. It's jut complete luck of the draw where you end up stood...or where such idiots decide to attack. I did half expect Newcastle on a Saturday night to be like that.

Anyway...none of the above was remotely the band's fault, so I shall try say something positive about them. So glad they played SATT! After the Bristol gig I came on here and moaned that I couldn't understand why they weren't playing the title track of the album they're currently celebrating and lo and behold, they play it (I know they played it at Kendal Calling as well)! I'm taking credit for that obviously The rest of the set wasn't particularly exciting (acoustic Masses was weird and I wish they would stop playing This Is The Day), but I think you have to be realistic about these summer gigs re: the setlist. They're not ready to give us any new songs yet, they're not really promoting anything other than the SATT anniversary and they've just done a load of album tours.

Think my favourite moment was James getting stuck in the ticker tape when it blew back on to the stage in the wind and got stuck in the lighting directly above where he was stood at the mic stand. He needed assistance to get untangled from it all I saw that Nicky didn't travel to Ireland the day after, so I hope everything is ok with his mum. He was singing along in Newcastle (he did his lines in YLAINE too).

I haven't dared to look at the state of my photos off my camera yet. Every time I was poised ready to take one, the cow next to me flung her arms in the way so depending on how crap they are, I may or may not share any
Old 07-08-2017, 18:01
Builder of routine

Looks like Nicky is avoiding overseas gigs so he can go home straight after.

I'm sorry your gig was spoiled by tossers James getting stuck sounds slightly alarming and a right giggle
Old 07-08-2017, 22:56
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Despite the 4:15 am start to catch my flight and being at the gig just before six (had to see PSB) I loved it. James was on top form. Banter with the audience was great and his vocals absolutely superb. So glad I picked this over Mitchelstown Don't think I've ever seen such a quiet Nicky in 39 Manics gigs.

Personal highlights for me included Kevin Carter and the acoustic version of Ocean Spray was just beautiful.

Old 08-08-2017, 16:43
Knowlede Is Power

I had a brilliant time in Newcastle. I expected the rain to start much earlier and to continue during the Manics, so not having anything like that was a nice surprise.
I do agree with Abstract Unknown Girl about festivals. I don't like the waiting and usually the other bands are a drag, but this time, with the exception of the Cribs, I felt entertained by the other acts and, because the pauses inbetween weren't too long, I didn't mind the waiting around this time.

I was lucky that I was standing more on the left side, so I didn't get any of the pushing and drunk idiots at my back. I was only sprinkled with beer once. But I still had a good view. Tangled James was also one of my highlights. :-D

I never take many pictures at a gig, but here are those that aren't too blurry:

Old 08-08-2017, 21:47
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
I enjoyed the Manics themselves, but these recent gigs have just reiterated how little a fan I am of festivals. Too many bands I don't care about (PSB were decent, but oh my god The Cribs were beyond DIRE), too much time stood waiting for the band to come on (some of which was in the pouring rain, welcome to British summer time!) and earlier gates means more time for the crowd to get pissed up, which inevitably leads to drunken dicks skittling people who've been waiting hours out the way as soon as the Manics come on. If I sound bitter, it's because I am and have had one too many gigs ruined by absolute arseholes who are so wasted they can't even stand up properly. A drunk woman pushed in next to me on the barrier after using my back as a climbing frame for the entirety of Motorcycle Emptiness, whilst her even more drunken boyfriend/husband/whatever he was couldn't even keep his arms in the air and kept hitting me on the head and in the face every few minutes. I told him to stop, woman next to me gave me an earful of abuse saying it's not their fault they're being pushed by those behind them...even though it wasn't the pushing it was the being hit in the head I was complaining about and they were the ones who had pushed everyone else out the way and were still the cause of the crushing themselves when nothing was even going on on stage! Security eventually told the bloke to stop and he backed off, but she continued to be a totally selfish bitch for the entire gig and wouldn't stop trying to push me over or waving her arms right in my face so I could barely take any decent photos or even see properly at some points. I'm so fed up of people like this ruining it for those who just want to watch the band. Even when I personally manage to avoid such wankers, I always come online and see others saying they had their gig ruined in the same way. So many people just come to live music events to get drunk nowadays, although having said that the woman next to me did actually know a lot of the words to the Manics' songs, so it's a shame a fellow fan couldn't have cared less about ruining it for other fans around her. Her and her boyfriend also kept booing the sound desk guy that James thanked (or wished happy birthday to or something?? I can't actually remember now, he gave a shout out to him anyway), which was the weirdest fucking thing ever. People like them just put me off gigs and there's a small part of me (admittedly, a very small part of me) that just doesn't want to bother with it all after incidents like this, because I come away in such a bad mood and with such a bitter taste in my mouth about the experience, which is the total opposite of what it should be about. But hey ho, it was one gig and I've been to many others without these issues. It's jut complete luck of the draw where you end up stood...or where such idiots decide to attack. I did half expect Newcastle on a Saturday night to be like that.

Anyway...none of the above was remotely the band's fault, so I shall try say something positive about them. So glad they played SATT! After the Bristol gig I came on here and moaned that I couldn't understand why they weren't playing the title track of the album they're currently celebrating and lo and behold, they play it (I know they played it at Kendal Calling as well)! I'm taking credit for that obviously The rest of the set wasn't particularly exciting (acoustic Masses was weird and I wish they would stop playing This Is The Day), but I think you have to be realistic about these summer gigs re: the setlist. They're not ready to give us any new songs yet, they're not really promoting anything other than the SATT anniversary and they've just done a load of album tours.

Think my favourite moment was James getting stuck in the ticker tape when it blew back on to the stage in the wind and got stuck in the lighting directly above where he was stood at the mic stand. He needed assistance to get untangled from it all I saw that Nicky didn't travel to Ireland the day after, so I hope everything is ok with his mum. He was singing along in Newcastle (he did his lines in YLAINE too).

I haven't dared to look at the state of my photos off my camera yet. Every time I was poised ready to take one, the cow next to me flung her arms in the way so depending on how crap they are, I may or may not share any
Ah, you were stood beside me most of the day up to that point you were rudely shifted. I think you are right with the festival crowd atmosphere. Few too many drunks!

Overall, it was a good day though. I thought the Swansea rain was bad, but that downpour during Dream Wife was unreal! They were the best support in my opinion. I liked their attitude and energy. PSB had there moments. Gargarin the highlight! The Cribs were not for me. Liked the one song I recognised though. Men's needs?

Manics were good. James was on fine form. Took the stupid beer throwing well. Waste of good beer if you ask me Setlist was fine. It's not war, Kevin Carter, EMG and Ocean Spray were fantastic. Tolerate was the song of the night though. The ending was hilarious too.

Roll on the new album and an indoor tour
Old 11-08-2017, 20:09
Doors slowly closing

The few pics I took on my phone turned out very ropey (thanks tall dude with big head in front of me!), but here is one for the sake of it in glorious fake-o-B'N'W... (Indian Summer, I think it was...)

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 13-08-2017, 16:22
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasnost View Post
Ah, you were stood beside me most of the day up to that point you were rudely shifted. I think you are right with the festival crowd atmosphere. Few too many drunks!
Ooh I know who you are! Didn't realise you were on here Yes, sadly one of the drawbacks of festivals. Definitely looking forward to the band doing a proper tour again...not that that completely eliminates the drunkards either, but it might help reduce them a bit

Thanks to those who have shared photos. I'm afraid I only have a handful of decent-ish ones and they're all of James (I couldn't even see Sean for a lot of it because of the height of the stage!):

Old 14-08-2017, 14:43
I live to fall asleep

What kind of prick puts up an umbrella at a gig? Rude as fuck.
Old 14-08-2017, 15:41
Bored out of my mind

We put a brolly up in between support acts when it was absolutely tipping it down but not during any of the actual music (we were on the barrier so it wasn't hitting anyone in the face either), so no harm done. I came prepared with a waterproof coat anyway though, because well, British summer obviously
Old 14-08-2017, 20:30
I live to fall asleep

Yeah, between bands is acceptable...not cool when the bands are on though.
Old 16-08-2017, 15:05
I live to fall asleep

Sorry to hear about the gig as a horror show in terms of the amount of drunken mindless morons. They really annoy the hell out of me too, which is why I don't get to many gigs now, and especially don;t ever want to attend a festival, or a gig like this which was like a 'mini festival' in a way. It's like when you watch videos on Youtube of gigs that people film, I watched one the other day of Ocean Colour Scene and it was filmed quite close to the back, so yuo see more crowd then a decent shot of the band, but over half of them are drinking, turned away from the stage and talking loudly with their friends and shouting random stuff. I just don't get it at all. I really do have a growing hatred for people these days.
Old 20-08-2017, 05:04
Stretched out in the sun

Not really Manics related, but I did go to Montreal's Osheaga Music Festival 2 weeks ago.

The drunken mindless morons started on the subway to the venue - guzzling and spraying the beer all over the subway cars. A kind, cute guy apologized for them after he saw me rolling my eyes.

More of the same at the festival - took almost 2 hours of waiting in line at the gate to pass security and then walk the mile or so to the actual stage(s) area. Most alcohol was in the $8-12 per can range - to discourage the binge drinkers/alcohol poisoning.

Little tolerance for the pushing and shoving. Told several people off about pushing past me to get closer to the front and blocked them. No room. Prove your 'emergency' or your 'friend' who is there. I've been standing here for X time and you haven't. Don't BS me. Folks taken away who passed out due to 'dehydration' - yup, consuming a lot of alcohol and then weed, plus standing in the heat will do that to you. Was lucky to be around more 'normal' folks who had a couple of drinks max.

Mess all over the concrete 'grounds' - water bottles, booze cans. Staying in my own spot and praying I don't get knocked to the ground and injure myself/twisting my ankle on the crap on the ground. It's brutal being in the first 5-6 rows from the stage. 1.5 hours to again walk the mile or so to the subway station and get back to the hotel.