Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
Fixed that for you. I really don't think Nicky plays any bass on record at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
With all due respect and all the love in the world mate, fuck off. I'm tired of this stupid joke. Nicky is a good musician and a very talented bass player. Sure, he can't sing for crap and he's a gobshite at the best of times but the way people continually put down his playing is just ludicrous.
Agree with Mr Richey, and if you don't agree with us, try and disagree with Tony Visconti:

Quote:
"It was a pleasant surprise for me to learn how accomplished the band was as musicians. James is a first class guitarist, Nicky has the chops of a Motown session bass player (and that's a big compliment from me) and Sean is as solid and inventive as drummers come, plus he has many hidden talents that I learned of -- he plays trumpet, sings back ups (on this batch he sings on almost every song) and he is a computer expert."

Last edited by allisvanity; 01-04-2014 at 11:15.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
With all due respect and all the love in the world mate, fuck off. I'm tired of this stupid joke. Nicky is a good musician and a very talented bass player. Sure, he can't sing for crap and he's a gobshite at the best of times but the way people continually put down his playing is just ludicrous.
It is fairly common knowledge that James has done the bass on a fair few album tracks since the very early days. However, Nicky is a very good bass player live and has come into his own in recent years. If it wasn't for Nicky penning the majority of the lead singles in the last few years the Manics wouldn't be seeing the resurgance they have done. Considering James and Sean were the key musicians of the band for composing songs it is a testament to how good an ear Nicky does have for music at times. However, INWJTEOL is still an abhorrent abortive godawful anal dwelling stink nugget of a song.

Last edited by AK47; 01-04-2014 at 15:37.
Old 01-04-2014, 15:28
I am purity, they call me perverted

'ITWJTEOL'?
Drifting from scene the scene
I'm wondering what in the devil could it all possibly mean?"
Old 01-04-2014, 15:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986_and_all_that View Post
'ITWJTEOL'?
It's Not War, Just The End of Love.

Feel dirty typing it...
Old 01-04-2014, 15:38
A self-made vacuum

They should do a one album per night thing and add in a few b-sides each night. That'll keep the punters happy.
Old 01-04-2014, 15:45
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
They should do a one album per night thing and add in a few b-sides each night. That'll keep the punters happy.
There are only four albums I'd be happy to hear in full if I'm honest though, five max!
Old 01-04-2014, 15:53
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
There are only four albums I'd be happy to hear in full if I'm honest though, five max!
I'd only want to hear GATS, THB, JFPL, TIMTTMY, KYE & EMG.
Old 01-04-2014, 15:56
Winterlover

Yeah my four, possibly five, are in there.
Old 02-04-2014, 00:06
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Actually, I don't think he's such a bad singer either. Technically he might be far from James the musical genius, but art is more than that.
Old 02-04-2014, 00:42
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
Actually, I don't think he's such a bad singer either. Technically he might be far from James the musical genius, but art is more than that.
Just because he doesn't 'sings' in the usual range of a singer doesn't means that he is a bad one. I just like his style in small doses and from time to time.
Beware!
Old 02-04-2014, 22:37
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manualex16 View Post
Just because he doesn't 'sings' in the usual range of a singer doesn't means that he is a bad one. I just like his style in small doses and from time to time.
In fact, that was almost what I was saying.
Old 02-04-2014, 22:46
Builder of routine

his singing has improved a lot
Old 03-04-2014, 09:58
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
It is fairly common knowledge that James has done the bass on a fair few album tracks since the very early days. However, Nicky is a very good bass player live and has come into his own in recent years. If it wasn't for Nicky penning the majority of the lead singles in the last few years the Manics wouldn't be seeing the resurgance they have done. Considering James and Sean were the key musicians of the band for composing songs it is a testament to how good an ear Nicky does have for music at times.
Totally agree. James may get the lions share of praise as far as the musicianship goes but without Sean and Nick the band would be incomplete. It works so well because they all do what they do. Nick's definitely got better as a bass player and musician as time has gone on.
Old 03-04-2014, 17:51
Builder of routine

Nicky feeds the myth that he still can't play to be fair.. 2006 on Sports AM (i think) he just blurted out when asked why there were no solo gigs for his album *I can't play* .. at one of the roundhouse gigs in 2009 when he could barely move with his back, he said he was making a very good impression of Johnny greenwood …… *without the talent* and on that dvd with the Postcards album deluxe he yells *yeah i know i'm (its?) crap* at the camera when he's working something out on the piano..

I remember him saying he regrets not learning to play other instruments properly and that he just stuck to the bass… he's a good musician… he's had 20 odd years to practice for god's sake… if you don't become decent in all that time you never will.
Old 03-04-2014, 18:25
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I remember him saying he regrets not learning to play other instruments properly and that he just stuck to the bass… he's a good musician… he's had 20 odd years to practice for god's sake… if you don't become decent in all that time you never will.
But he can play guitar very decently(at least in the JFPL DVD is very good with chord changes), unless he wanted to be like James type of guitar hero...
Beware!