Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 09-12-2018, 01:08
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Prologue to History works better than I expected.

Besides, I always thought Black Dog’s outro would have been the best way to end the album. NLY and SYMM always felt like those Japanese bonus tracks tagged on to me.

Still an unnecessary alteration but it doesn’t stick out like Welcome to the Dead Zone did.
I've always thought Nobody Loved You should have been the album closer. Although the sentiment of SYMM is one that I support, I've never really been bothered about the song.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:15
Freed from the century

Compared to the Holy Bible and Everything Must Go 20th anniversary releases, this one just doesn't seem worth the cost to me.

I also can't help but feel that there's potentially a larger, more comprehensive boxset to be released further down the line. I would have paid £50-60, maybe more if they had released a similar box to the GT, HB, and EMG reissues. As it is, this reissue feels overpriced.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:18
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Totally disagree - personally I hate it when the stickers are on the actual covers/sleeves, that was the sick thing IMHO! Putting them on the plastic wrap gives you the option to keep it or chuck it. You can even usually peel them off the plastic so you still have the choice to ruin your sleeve if you want to.

Look at the state of those TIMTTMY singles, the stickers on them often went all weird and look awful now.

I usually cut them out still on the plasic put or peel them off and stick them on a small bit of paper and keep them inside the record sleeve/CD case.
Ah I like having the sticker on the sleeve. Before today I’ve actually rebought singles with stickers on when I’ve had one that hasn’t.. sad fuck.

Need to get another Tolerate 2 actually, some plank put the sticker for 1 on it..

Yeah he adhesive when you peel it off is shite though.
Old 09-12-2018, 21:05

A little techical post, geeky yet optimistic in tone for y'all.

The really truly amazing mastering work of this reissue -- especially on the b-sides Prologue, Black Holes and Valley Boy, but also on SYMM and Black Dog -- have me thinking about this one thing Nicky dropped in a recent interview. He said James is energised and has found new ways to make the music more "expansive". Expansive, in technical terms, means better soundstage.

So here's the deal. I know James has been listening to a lot of War on Drugs these past years. When I popped in RIF I was a little surprised (and a disappointed) that none of it has rubbed on the Manics technically. War on Drugs has the widest stereo image I've ever encountered in a mix, anywhere. ("Pain" is the song, btw) and just a generally massive soundstage in their recordings. The new manics were just, you know, a regular manics stereo image.

The Prologue to history remaster however -- ooh boy! Massive! The guitars reach far behind my ears with the mad hi-fi mastering IEM-s I use for listening nowadays. Some of the album tracks, remastered, also have this quality.

Now consider this: Nicky has also said James personally did the mastering of the TIMTTMY anniversary edition. Big if true. Now, it's hard to know if it was actually that -- he may have overseen it and fuzzy journalism misreported Nicky's words. But! Everything I hear on this reissue points to the simple fact that James has found out about modern mastering techniques that result in extreme stereo imaging.

Some (not all but about half) of the remasters here signify the first time the Manics have a stereo image that competes with Radiohead and The National. Not quite War On Drugs yet, but getting there. I imagine that's what James wants to (or should want to) shoot for with his "more expansive" sound.

This has me very, very excited for their future work. Music is such a technical art. And they've been lagging behind. Lifeblood was their last truly good and truly competitive mix and master. This reissue is even better. TITMTTMY has always sounded good but the soundstage (expansiveness) was never quite this good.

For "not technically minded" fans -- soundstage width and depth means a better sound in every possible way. More 3D, you hear instruments better, vocals feel more emotional, sounds better out of shit speakers and hi-fi.

I want the manics' next album to rival War on Drugs technically. There is NO reason they can't do this -- they have all the means, the popularity, the engineering knowledge of the United Kingdom behind them. As James' voice ages, the instrumentation must pick up. Signs show it could.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 09-12-2018 at 21:13.
Old 09-12-2018, 21:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Now consider this: Nicky has also said James personally did the mastering of the TIMTTMY anniversary edition. Big if true. Now, it's hard to know if it was actually that -- he may have overseen it and fuzzy journalism misreported Nicky's words. But! Everything I hear on this reissue points to the simple fact that James has found out about modern mastering techniques that result in extreme stereo imaging.
I thought this too but I had a look at the credits yesterday to verify my curiosity and James wasn't mentioned at all regarding the remaster, some guy called Matt something (Can't remember the surname) from Alchemy Mastering I believe. I guess the band or JDB gave their instructions to the mastering engineer and he did the rest.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 09-12-2018, 23:21

How is the dynamic range compression compared to the original?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdown1985 View Post
How is the dynamic range compression compared to the original?
I've never understood what people mean by that, to be honest. The b-sides are certainly considerably louder and that's a good thing because not only is the general volume raised, but also clarity, separation and spacial positioning of instruments.

The difference is less noticeable for the album, but there is an -- on the volume pot -- still noticeable +2% loudness. Again very well done. The master beefs up the album's low mids and mid bass making the music seem fuller than the quite thin and trebley original -- guitars are crunchier, kick drums bigger -- yet without sacrificing headspace. The now thicker notes also have more space between them thanks to superior positioning.)It's at once fuller and airier, as an improved master is supposed to be. To my ear TIMTTMY was a little underdcompressed in 1998 (while, say, OK Computer could have used a bit less). They've beefed it up a bit here, a little, but the mix and recording are so clear it's only a virtue if done right. And here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
I thought this too but I had a look at the credits yesterday to verify my curiosity and James wasn't mentioned at all regarding the remaster, some guy called Matt something (Can't remember the surname) from Alchemy Mastering I believe. I guess the band or JDB gave their instructions to the mastering engineer and he did the rest.
He probably oversaw it then. You can get bad results from great studios and engineers who've mastered your favourite work, if the band makes bad choices. But... still. Something more was at work here I think. They've somehow cracked something, hard to say how? And why not sooner, on other albums? Why is Futurology, for example, not as holographic as this one? A different master certainly would have helped that album, the title track especially is quite underwhelming.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 10-12-2018 at 01:17.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:24

Does anyone know what happened in Montana in the autumn of ‘78?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:44
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski

'know what you mean ,but not what you do'.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:44
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post

From Wiki...
Quote:
In 1971 Ted Kaczynski moved to a remote cabin without electricity or running water near Lincoln, Montana, where he lived as a recluse while learning survival skills in an attempt to become self-sufficient. After witnessing the destruction of the wilderness surrounding his cabin, he concluded that living in nature was untenable and began his bombing campaign in 1978.
To Nicky:
Quote:
Luddite lover
Forgiving father
Unhappy forever
Live it to where you can
Those skies must drive you wild
The earth around you
This silence around you
Be with the sky tonight

You've ruined more than you'll gain
Know what you mean - but not what you do
Nature will take care of itself
Your ego will destroy itself
Montana/Autumn/78

Last edited by Dancing Kirby; 10-12-2018 at 08:45. Reason: Dammit, Glyn!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:59
Doors slowly closing

Have there been any logistical problems delivering albums to stores? Been four days and I still haven’t seen any CD sets in Glasgow.

Have you seen her, have you heard/the way she plays there are no words/to describe the way I feel
Old 10-12-2018, 18:48
Freed from the century

Monday chart has MSP #34 with a bullet! Curse ye "D-Day Darlings"!!

(P.S. For sanity's sake don't look at the No1)...

Top 100 Albums

1 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Sh**man (24.0k)
2 Roy Orbison & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Unchained Melodies (16.3k)
3 George Ezra - Staying At Tamara's (16.1k)
4 Michael Bublι - love (15.5k)
5 The Carpenters & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - The Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (13.5k) *

6-10
7 Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams: Live in Buenos Aires *
10 Little Mix - LM5

11-20
13 Olly Murs - You Know I Know
19 Queen - The Platinum Collection
20 Paul Heaton - The Last King of Pop

31-40
31 D-Day Darlings - I'll Remember You
33 Van Morrison - The Prophet Speaks *
34 Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours ^
38 Barbra Streisand - Walls ^
Old 10-12-2018, 22:52

I must say this remaster has been a revelation, and only 4 or 5 listens in. Volume increase but with clarity and depth. TIMT is the one Manics album I'd rarely listened to - 20 years a casual fan but only the last 10 a more dedicated fan. For some reason the album never comnected with me and about half of it I'd only heard once or twice over the years. On listening this weekend I am discovering some absolute gems - Be Natural, I'm Not Working, the brilliant Black Dog, and Ready for Drowning in particular. Wonderful pieces of music but beautiful instrumentation and soundscapes.

Nobody Loved You I feel is essential for flow as its a more racous entry and I've placed it after Prologue to History before SYMM. Why did they almost wipe this one from the release?

I suppose the singles back then underwhelmed a bit following the Bible and EMG, the widescreen melancholia so mentioned didnt resonate with me but this weekend was akin to discovering a new treasure from a favourite band. Following Resistance Is Futile (which I love) its been quite an MSP year.

The remastering simply elevates the collection to something special indeed.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:04
Doors slowly closing

My mp3s (from the Vinyl download) have an annoying bit missing off the front of Tolerate - anyone else?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:55
I live to fall asleep

I like whistling solo in You're Tender and You're Tired but guitar solo would've been better.

Metronome ticking in Born a Girl (alternative version) is quite annoying meh