Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 21-09-2018, 19:46
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
My reading of that was an entirely different "Nobody Loved you is on the 2nd disc, in addition to an entirely unheard of demo of another song"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Well like I said, I hope you're right. I guess we'll find out soon!
That was my reading too.
No idea why journalists don't feel the need to ask questions and engage with the answers such as 'Well, why do you wanna relegate Nobody Loved You Nick? Please say and save a lot of Forever Forum Wild Theorising concerning Family Feuds Fallouts and I've run out of F -ing F's now...

When did all this trend for marking every album's anniversary come from anyways?
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 22-09-2018, 13:09
Builder of routine

The trend probably comes from people not bothering to buy albums much these days so old ones get the deluxe treatment
Old 22-09-2018, 16:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
When did all this trend for marking every album's anniversary come from anyways?
There definitely were a few re-issues back in the day, but mainly due to the actual limited nature of physical releases. Ahhh "LIMITED EDITION" stickers. How quaint!

I seem to remember there being a series of gigs in the mid 00's where bands were doing 10th anniversaries (if memory serves this was like when you get a re-issue with the Deluxe Edition symbol on it, almost a branded event?) By the early 2000's it was happening more with 90's bands, and then subsequently they've gone on to do 20ths etc. I kinda wonder if Nirvana/Jeff Buckley had an influence there too. Raking through the catalogue and remasters seems to be very much the way those camps have gone in the absence of any new material.
Old 23-09-2018, 19:52
Freed from the century

Quote:
I've got a 20th anniversary edition of Sgt Pepper's kicking around somewhere from 1987!
Old 24-09-2018, 00:54
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Block View Post
I've got a 20th anniversary edition of Sgt Pepper's kicking around somewhere from 1987!
Sure there must be a 50th anniversary golden deluxury edition by now....

I remember the various Nirvana/Jeff Buckley releases and the accompanying arguments over the rights and wrongs though in those cases they be dead.....thus causing so many of the arguments. Not with the dead no.
I can see the point with some albums that have long stood the test of time and been such a huge influence but anniversarying everything and adding in anything you can find from that era and throwing it in a box painting it purple and selling it at some huge price seems a bit much.....because its only really the fans that will buy it....rather than say just re-mastering/releasing/publicising and marking the anniversary of an album including maybe touring an album if relevant people not be dead...which would be of interest to old fans but also maybe draw in people who haven't bought the album before....or have more than likely been aware of the band but not really listened before....maybe. I know they have to make money and it's harder these days etc but seems disingenuous to squeeze it out of those who have supported for years sometimes...not just aiming this at the Manics...I can see it's become a general 'thing' and no one forces you to buy it etc etc

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

That perches in the soul
Old 25-09-2018, 11:41
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Block View Post
At least they had a legitimate reason to mark "20 years ago today"
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 25-09-2018, 11:49
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Sure there must be a 50th anniversary golden deluxury edition by now....
There is, he's just pointing out that 20th Anniversary editions did used to happen, though probably only on very big albums such as Sgt Pepper!
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 25-09-2018, 19:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
There is, he's just pointing out that 20th Anniversary editions did used to happen, though probably only on very big albums such as Sgt Pepper!
Is he really? My. Thanks for pointing that out

That perches in the soul
Old 25-09-2018, 22:46
Freed from the century

James confirmed in an interview with Absolute Radio that the 20th anniversary remastered version will be released.

It will have demos of every song except Tolerate and a remix that was never released. He didn't confirm a release date but we'll probably get news in a few days.
Old 25-09-2018, 23:41
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Woop!

I was hoping for a Tolerate demo. Kind of interested to hear the version that would have barely passed as a b-side (sans syntglh intro).

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 26-09-2018, 07:47
Doors slowly closing

They’ll be proper demos too, from the days when it wasn’t expected to go on CD2... so less orchestras and choirs, more coughing and tape hiss! Love it!
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 26-09-2018, 08:50
Bored of being bored

They'll probably re-record the demos

I guess there wasn't a Tolerate demo, they just built it up in the studio?
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 26-09-2018, 09:13
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
They'll probably re-record the demos

I guess there wasn't a Tolerate demo, they just built it up in the studio?
Yeah thats how iv always understood it. Theres an intervirw with Dave Eringa somwhere that explains it.
Old 26-09-2018, 12:00
Freed from the century

Quote:
Yeah. I think Peppers is usually seen as the album that defined the idea of an album, whether that's right or wrong, and since then the idea of anniversary releases for important albums and more importantly the market has grown and so has the idea of what an important album is. Bands possibly embrace it because it keeps their brand in the public eye. I don't know, I'm spitballing.
Old 26-09-2018, 12:02
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
At least they had a legitimate reason to mark "20 years ago today"
Too true, the headlines wrote themselves. I was always disappointed that no-one ran with a spin of it as the fortieth anniversary of the band being taught to play.