Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 13-12-2018, 07:11
A self-made vacuum

Again I don't if this has been mentioned but the Japanese version has Train in vain as a bonus track.
Old 13-12-2018, 11:05
Freed from the century

Knocked together a review for Indie Is Not A Genre
Old 13-12-2018, 13:33
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Again I don't if this has been mentioned but the Japanese version has Train in vain as a bonus track.
Mildly irritating, but at least it's just a live track that already sounded ok. Assuming it's been remastered for this release I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference, the mix is going to be a lot more basic than the studio tracks.

At least it's not a 'Mirror Gaze' situation where the only way to get a legit copy of the song at all is an expensive import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi A View Post
Knocked together a review for Indie Is Not A Genre
Really good review Jimi (by which I mean I think it's very well written not just that I agree with most of it, although I do happen to(!)).

Did you pick the Mitch Ikeda photo used for the piece? I always liked that one.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 13-12-2018 at 13:44.
Old 13-12-2018, 17:21
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Fuck it, I think SYMM is one of Nicky’s better lyrics....

Now I’ll slink off without providing a justification....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 14-12-2018, 07:28
Knowlede Is Power

The tsunami demo is nice... not quite worth the hype it's had over the past X years... but good nonetheless. Apart from the bass in the chorus. It's annoying, somehow...
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 14-12-2018, 18:52
Freed from the century

#55 on the album chart.

(Amusingly the saviours of rock n roll - the 1975 - had their much heralded new album crash down from #1 to #33. Chortle, tee hee).

Last edited by almostfamous; 14-12-2018 at 18:55.
Old 14-12-2018, 19:57
I live to fall asleep

Suppose in the Christmas market it was never going to chart high being a re-issue. I imagine the price and lack of stuff on there put people off, I know I didn't rush out to get it like I do with all Manics stuff.
Old 14-12-2018, 20:14
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Fuck it, I think SYMM is one of Nicky’s better lyrics....

Now I’ll slink off without providing a justification....
Reminds me of the line in the 'Everything' book: "SYMM contains the words 'the reason for this song, well I haven't really thought of one", to which the listener is perfectly entitled to tell Nicky to go away and come back when he has', or something like that
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 14-12-2018, 20:43
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
#55 on the album chart.

(Amusingly the saviours of rock n roll - the 1975 - had their much heralded new album crash down from #1 to #33. Chortle, tee hee).

It has been enjoyable seeing stuff do that. I was out gathering winter fuel so couldn't notify.
But yeah, I really should have gotten round to making a chart week by week update. That fucking Showman though! I can't believe there isn't a separate chart for soundtrack albums.
Best thing to come out of it was James saying as a kid he was terrified of whatever Barnum could be.

Now back to box set thread. Wasn't sure if they did any interviews on the radio this week as Skybox from 2010 now massively fucked at changing channels.
Old 15-12-2018, 21:13
I am purity, they call me perverted

I love how Buildings For Dead People further shows what KYE would've sounded like had they not gone with the stripped back demo sound, and instead would've continued the clean, shiny TIMTTMY production only with KYE ferocity.

I can't help but think the rocky b-sides here, from Montana / Autumn to Buildings are a little more energetic that KYE, a little bouncier thanks to their glossy mixes.

Also, I can't fathom how they've never returned to this expensive, ultra hi def sound, when it made them so popular? The remaster sounds like the clean, hermetic, slightly laminated drum machine rock Radiohead started recording then. Also Cardigans' circa Gran Turismo, Suede's circa Head Music, even Kent's with Hagnesta Hill. All from around 97-99 sounded similar recording-wise. Years go by and they've yet to sound this clean and futuristic, even on an album called Futurology.... c'mon James! You can do it!

Last little note -- the two bands are rarely compared but Be Natural could easily be a song off OK Computer IMO.
Old 17-12-2018, 12:47
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayseph View Post
Have there been any logistical problems delivering albums to stores? Been four days and I still haven’t seen any CD sets in Glasgow.
Nine days post release, still no sign of the CD in Glasgow. Record shops and label not forthcoming with any response. Guess I should just order it online, but it’s the principle of the thing.

Have you seen her, have you heard/the way she plays there are no words/to describe the way I feel
Old 18-12-2018, 01:09
Freed from the century

Along the same lines....

Has anyone in North America received their pre-orders from the official website yet?
Old 21-12-2018, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Also, I can't fathom how they've never returned to this expensive, ultra hi def sound, when it made them so popular?
Lifeblood?
Old 23-12-2018, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdown1985 View Post
Lifeblood?
Ditto. My favourite Manics album, as it happens. I guess they did, yes -- giving me my all time nr 2 LP, right below Kent's "Du och Jag, Döden" and Einstürzene Neubauten's "Perpetuum Mobile." And then they got incredibly frightened by some kind of singles chart nonsense. Pity. Cause you're right. Lifeblood is the TIMTTY sound only with more luxurious treble, some New Order baselines, lithe lounge piano. Jeesh, even describing it makes me realize how immensely I love that collection of music. TIMTTMY is great, but it's a collection of songs compiled from circa 17-18 candidates.

Whilethey recorded 30 songs in the LB era. What I wouldn't give to go back and see what All Alone Here would sound like with that full production sheen. Or if 4 Ever Delayed was given the same attention TBTGOG was given.

Manics are at their most magisterial, to me, when they're outdoing bands like Coldplay. It sounds like sacrilege but still...
Old 24-12-2018, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Ditto. My favourite Manics album, as it happens. I guess they did, yes -- giving me my all time nr 2 LP, right below Kent's "Du och Jag, Döden" and Einstürzene Neubauten's "Perpetuum Mobile." And then they got incredibly frightened by some kind of singles chart nonsense. Pity. Cause you're right. Lifeblood is the TIMTTY sound only with more luxurious treble, some New Order baselines, lithe lounge piano. Jeesh, even describing it makes me realize how immensely I love that collection of music. TIMTTMY is great, but it's a collection of songs compiled from circa 17-18 candidates.

Whilethey recorded 30 songs in the LB era. What I wouldn't give to go back and see what All Alone Here would sound like with that full production sheen. Or if 4 Ever Delayed was given the same attention TBTGOG was given.

Manics are at their most magisterial, to me, when they're outdoing bands like Coldplay. It sounds like sacrilege but still...
I think that after KYE they maybe tried to get back to the more expansive sound of TIMT which had brought them so much success. Success does seem to be important to them, as they often talk about it in interviews, so I could see them trying to get back to that kind of sound thinking it might bring them that level of success again. I seem to remember the Lifeblood tour was an arena tour, but it was noticeable that the crowds had thinned a bit by then.

I like Lifeblood, but it didn't really have the big singles like TIMT and I guess those really were what made albums sell back then. I like the sound from that era (1985, Forever Delayed, There By the Grace, Door to the River, Song For Departure, To Repel Ghosts, Solitude Sometimes is, Cardiff Afterlife, The Soulmates, Antarctic and Litany are some of my favourite Manics tracks), but there aren't really many standout singles from that time and it just didn't quite come together on Lifeblood (my opinion of course).