Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 19-02-2018, 13:17
Doors slowly closing

Exclamation This Is My Truth 2018 Boxset and tour(?)

From the Quietus interview:

Quote:
The new Manics album, however celebratory, is shrouded in loss and anxiety, but they continue to push forwards as ever against the grain. They embark on an arena tour to support it this April, as good a barometer as any as to whether they still garner the relevance they’ve always craved, while later this year there’s another moment of historical housekeeping to be considered as This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours turns 20. The last of the truly enormous Manics albums, and with the precedent now set to remember these landmarks as they have with The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go, will their successor be similarly celebrated? “It’s the stuff I’ve got most of in an archival sense, demos and unheard stuff, fragments of different songs, so there will definitely be some kind of box set but I don’t know if we’re gonna tour it yet. It will be the most comprehensive ‘unheard’ kind of boxset we’ve done though, there’s versions of ‘Tsunami’ that are infinitely better than the final one, really fast and pretty punk and driving. For some reason we got confused and slowed it down, it’s got the crunch, a real quality. I started videoing and taking loads of polaroids at this point as well, so visually there’s loads of stuff.”
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 19-02-2018, 13:41
Stretched out in the sun

Not sure what to expect really for this one. Think a box set is pretty much nailed on and I've loved the last three anniversary box sets anyway, probably most impressed with the Generation Terrorists one with there being a Poleaxed and Spent All Summer which I'd never heard of until then. Wonder if there's owt from This Is My Truth besides demos.

As far as a tour goes, I've love to see the album in full. Besides obsessive Manics fans, I've no idea how it's regarded though, definitely the Manics album I've seen crop up in charity shops most often. Could be wrong, but feel today it's less popular than Holy Bible and Everything Must Go? Obviously not done a study or owt mind, so I've got fuck all to base the feeling on really. Interesting the fact that every track of both Holy Bible and Everything Must Go had been played before the anniversary tours, but for This Is My Truth there's still I'm Not Working and Be Natural that have never been performed. So I dunno... every time I go see em I hope to see summat they've not played for ages, or better. Edinburgh Holy Bible was the first time they'd played Condemned To Rock N' Roll in full ever and that was the last time I was shocked at a gig really, every now and again they play summat and I think oh that makes a nice change. I just know if there's a tour I decide not to go, the twats'll end up doing Symphony of Tourette or summat.
Old 19-02-2018, 15:53
Doors slowly closing

Tsunami is one of my favourite Manics songs so I am skeptical that I will think these unheard versions are better, but I am certainly looking forward to hearing one (or hopefully more than one).

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 19-02-2018, 16:10
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Tsunami is one of my favourite Manics songs so I am skeptical that I will think these unheard versions are better, but I am certainly looking forward to hearing one (or hopefully more than one).
Same here. Wire hyperbole at its best though. Would of course be interesting to hear what he's on about, mind.
Old 19-02-2018, 17:37
Freed from the century

The Tsunami demo is getting pretty close to the 'degree in politics' for Manics interview bingo now isn't it ? The odd thing is that everytime he mentions how 'different' it is he makes it sound more and more like the way they played it live ,around 99, so I don't think it's going to be much of a curio when it finally gets heard
Old 19-02-2018, 18:25
Winterlover

It's interesting to speculate about the recording process of this one. But as Jimmy put it in Rank Your Records:

Quote:
"There is a noise reduction on that record, that punk genesis we had at the start, which still exists on other records, which is definitely stripped away on This Is My Truth. It’s very much an album in that it’s just trying to present the songs. There is no subterfuge or subtext, it’s just about the songs. And while I loved making it and being part of the success, I still sometimes find it hard to 100 percent embrace."
I know they rag on Tsunami, but I always felt the weakest (recorded) song on the album was You Stole The Sun. All of the energy seems sapped out of the track compared to the live version, which was always 100% more bouncy and energetic and loads better as a result.

I imagine when they first demo'd the album it will have had more of a shade of EMG about it. It might be a bit like the way Empty Souls changed from the Isle of White to the recorded version perhaps?
Old 20-02-2018, 16:43
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
I always felt the weakest (recorded) song on the album was You Stole The Sun. All of the energy seems sapped out of the track compared to the live version
The Mogwai remix of You Stole The Sun makes a virtue of that side of the song, and it's an utterly gorgeous take on it as a result.

In fact, I think it was the very first Manics remix that made me sit bolt upright and realise that a remix could be something entirely, utterly, wondrously beautiful and bewitching.

Listen to it. It's so washed out and fatigued and fragile and frail and floaty like.

See also: Kinobe Remix of Ocean Spray.
Old 20-02-2018, 17:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
The Mogwai remix of You Stole The Sun makes a virtue of that side of the song, and it's an utterly gorgeous take on it as a result.

In fact, I think it was the very first Manics remix that made me sit bolt upright and realise that a remix could be something entirely, utterly, wondrously beautiful and bewitching.

Listen to it. It's so washed out and fatigued and fragile and frail and floaty like.

Big fan of the Kinobe thing. Very floaty as you say! I'd like to see them get some proper electronic acts in to do a remix disc again.
Old 20-02-2018, 20:22
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
I'd like to see them get some proper electronic acts in to do a remix disc again.
*hands over savings*

YES YES YES THIS THIS THRICE THIS

There should be a remix album to accompany every new one.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:43
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post

LOVE that Kinobe remix. I have it on several sleepy/chill playlists. So good.
Old 20-02-2018, 13:06
Winterlover

I wish people would link to stuff...

http://thequietus.com/articles/24062...is-futile-2018
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 20-02-2018, 13:20
I live to fall asleep

Would love to see a box set for this era. They must have so much stuff lying around. But no full album gigs please. Just give us some Black Dog on my Shoulder and Nobody Loved You.
Old 20-02-2018, 14:11
Freed from the century

Hopefully this won't come out till close till September - still skint form buying RIF on three different colours of vinyl, two cds and a bloody cassette.
Old 20-02-2018, 14:25
Stretched out in the sun

September would make sense seeing as it came out September first time round, reckon that'll be quite convenient for me too. Sort it out lads.
Old 20-02-2018, 15:56
Doors slowly closing

I wonder if the uptempo version of Tsunami might just be similar to the slightly faster version they play live. It's a lot slower on record.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)