Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-10-2009, 16:53
Freed from the century

Very cool item on Ebay.

E

Last edited by Culture Junky; 18-02-2019 at 15:49.
Old 09-10-2009, 17:00
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I would say that that looks pretty genuine to me, especially since I just finished doing a font derived from Richey's handwriting and looked quite closely at a lot of things! Saw the Nicky one too which also appears legitimate, I haven't seen enough of James' handwriting to tell with his, though it is probable if the others are. Thanks for sharing this!
Old 09-10-2009, 17:09
Doors slowly closing

there is some other Richey stuff on Ebay some pre holy bible stuff, and a signed setlist.
Old 09-10-2009, 17:30
Stretched out in the sun

A font of Richey's handwriting? Is that not just a little bit creepy? I mean, well done, it looks really good and you've obviously worked hard on it...but that's gotta be close to ultimate voyeurism, surely? Being able to write in a dead man's hand....
Old 09-10-2009, 17:35
Winterlover

I think MarilynRoxie's font is very cool.

And I'd love to have the postcard but OTOH if I had 590 USD I'd have gone on the tour, yeah...
Old 09-10-2009, 17:37
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernica View Post
I think MarilynRoxie's font is very cool.

And I'd love to have the postcard but OTOH if I had 590 USD I'd have gone on the tour, yeah...
I wasn't criticising the font as such, cos it does look really bloody good and like I said, she's clearly worked very hard to make it. But the idea of being able to write with someone elses handwriting just feels creepy and uncomfortable to me. Certainly no offence meant toward MarilynRoxie. More a personal feeling.

Last edited by Mr Richey; 09-10-2009 at 17:43.
Old 09-10-2009, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey83 View Post
A font of Richey's handwriting? Is that not just a little bit creepy? I mean, well done, it looks really good and you've obviously worked hard on it...but that's gotta be close to ultimate voyeurism, surely? Being able to write in a dead man's hand....
Erm...I really just love typography (I have 1,000+ fonts!) and came across this Font Capture site that has made it relatively easy to go about this, I just redrew from samples in Photoshop. After coming across the site, first of all doing a font off Nicky's came to mind just because there are so many samples (particularly the band site letters) to go from and I think his handwriting is lovely anyway. There were plenty of written lyrics and letters of Richey's too, so I figured I might as well - it is just for fun, at any rate!
Old 09-10-2009, 17:43
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynRoxie View Post
Erm...I really just love typography (I have 1,000+ fonts!) and came across this Font Capture site that has made it relatively easy to go about this, I just redrew from samples in Photoshop. After coming across the site, first of all doing a font off Nicky's came to mind just because there are so many samples (particularly the band site letters) to go from and I think his handwriting is lovely anyway. There were plenty of written lyrics and letters of Richey's too, so I figured I might as well - it is just for fun, at any rate!
See my second post mate. No offence meant towards you
Old 09-10-2009, 17:43
Bored of being bored

Thanks for that. I find it interesting how Richey used a Taxi Driver (DeNiro) postcard, Nicky uses a Bus Stop (Monroe) postcard & James an Elvis postcard. Is Daniel still around ? How did the cards end up in Germany ?
Old 09-10-2009, 17:46
Under neon loneliness

£360 for a few postcards? Wow. I predict some seriously scary fucker will end up buying that.

I agree, the font is a bit damn creepy! Sorry. I'd feel that way about any dead person's handwriting becoming a font. A bit *too* far for my tastes.

Last edited by tzb; 09-10-2009 at 17:53.
Old 09-10-2009, 18:17
Winterlover

So, y'all are saying you'd feel the same way if she used (now THIS would be cool, have at it, MarilynRoxie) Richard Nixon's, or the Queen Mum's???
Old 09-10-2009, 18:17
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey83 View Post
I wasn't criticising the font as such, cos it does look really bloody good and like I said, she's clearly worked very hard to make it. But the idea of being able to write with someone elses handwriting just feels creepy and uncomfortable to me. Certainly no offence meant toward MarilynRoxie. More a personal feeling.
There's a Morrissey handwriting font that I really like. I like handwriting fonts, and it just makes me like them more if it's the handwriting of someone I admire. I guess if you used the font to pretend to be the person it's creepy, but otherwise I think they're quite cool. I used the Moz font to type out quotes for a Morrissey collage and it looked really good.

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 09-10-2009, 18:19

Gah, I did not expect there being a bit of trouble over the font, really! I guess I must've done a decent enough job for some of you to be creeped out by it, though I am glad there are those who like it too, so thanks either way! I mean I get where a person would be coming from I suppose...my deal is just that I am interested in typography as well as handwriting analysis - and also I'm not bothered by using/having a Walt Disney or John Lennon font either!
EDIT: @Guernica If I have enough samples I'd gladly give 'em a go :P
Old 09-10-2009, 18:19
Desire on its knees

i love the font, and i am gobsmacked that there is a fuckyeahmanics tumblr!
i was an early adopter on tumblr but i abandoned it in the spring. clearly i have to return!

speaking about the font though, its just handwriting. like any image it becomes iconography if you imbue your personal feelings in it. to me its just a lovely font that obviously took a lot of effort to create.

as for the postcards, why the fuck would i want a personal letter sent to someone else? to me, that is really odd.
Old 09-10-2009, 18:20
Under neon loneliness

If you're interested in typography, surely you see what an absolutely personal thing someone's handwriting is? I think it's one of the most intimate things you could ascribe to an individual (especially a dead writer) and to make into something as ultimately cheap (ie limitless) as a font seems a bit... well, you know how I feel. But you don't feel the same and that's fair enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernica View Post
So, y'all are saying you'd feel the same way if she used (now THIS would be cool, have at it, MarilynRoxie) Richard Nixon's, or the Queen Mum's???
No, because I have no personal interest in those people. But yeah I would find someone painstakingly making a Richard Nixon/Queen Mother handwriting font a bit weird/creepy.