Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-07-2013, 08:10
Stretched out in the sun

Show Me The Wonder single

Don't know a great deal yet but whatever, it's fun to speculate. All I know is the video features the lads looking a bit silly and the first play is supposed to be on Jo Whiley's show tomorrow night?

Whatever anyway... Anybody heard any whisperings about how it's going to be released? Bit worried after the This Is The Day "release". I'd hope for a physical release cos... well, they're them, they're collectors themselves and they still use and promote independent record shops. And I like physical releases.

Can't wait to hear it though.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:18
Builder of routine

Gotts be a vinyl by the looks of the video.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:21
Stretched out in the sun

Nice vinyl.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:25
Winterlover

It would be strange with a video like that to release no physical single! My bet goes for the vinyl, obviously there will be CD too. And I wouldn't mind a limited cassette release, but this is not going to happen.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:28
Stretched out in the sun

Wouldn't be the first time, Jackie Collins Existential Question Time has a video and no single.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:36
Winterlover

Yes but this is a proper release isn't it?
Old 14-07-2013, 08:37
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Seeing as physical formats are virtually dead I would say it will just be a download. Would be very surprised if we get 2 x cds, a vinyl, etc.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:43
Winterlover

Jackie Collins was a bit of a special case though, they were very adamant in saying that there were no proper singles coming off JFPL (JCEQT was more of a radio promo release), whereas they've said repeatedly that Show Me the Wonder is an actual single.

I'm thinking we'll get a physical release of some sort because they're creatures of their habit. Probably nothing like the several CD issues, a vinyl and a separate digital bundle that they've been doing for the past few eras; most likely a single CD issue, tho an additional vinyl release is probably pretty likely as well considering it's such a fad right now (in which case they better make the b-side available digitally). I'm more wondering about the b-sides: with this whole double album thing, they've probably not got many studio tracks left in store to put on singles and I'm not sure they'd start recording brand new b-sides while they're already putting tracks on the next album. Here's hoping See It Like Sutherland gets a proper release as a b-side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Seeing as physical formats are virtually dead I would say it will just be a download. Would be very surprised if we get 2 x cds, a vinyl, etc.
Physical singles are dead as a commercial power unit, but they're still being released very often - it's just that the focus for their release has shifted from the masses to the fans and collectors.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:44
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar View Post
Yes but this is a proper release isn't it?
I don't even know what a proper release is anymore. Jackie Collins had a video, promos were sent out to record companies, they played it on Jools Holland etc - they treated it like you'd treat a lead single, but there wasn't a physical single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Nicky's quite traditional like that though, he still uses polaroids, listens to vinyl etc. They're basically fanboys themselves, I'll be more surprised if there isn't a physical release than if there is. Last time I met James he was in an independent record shop, they give the odd mention to Spillers in Cardiff and have done a fair few record shop, indies, HMV, whatever. I just think it'd be a bit inconsistent to stop releasing physical singles, as I think that'll just be adding to the struggle of the independent record shop. Not that their sales will be much more than a drop in the ocean but eh you know what I mean. Hopefully.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:50
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I'm more wondering about the b-sides: with this whole double album thing, they've probably not got many studio tracks left in store to put on singles and I'm not sure they'd start recording brand new b-sides while they're already putting tracks on the next album. Here's hoping See It Like Sutherland gets a proper release as a b-side.
Good point, now that you mention it. Given how many songs there were written between the Postcards and Tigers albums and their singles, I'd have hoped there'd have been more material from Journal. But yeah... two albums in 6 months, plus b-sides is a fairly big ask. Maybe they'll be going for a few more remixes and a bit of live stuff again, but I hope we do get original b-sides. If we get physical singles!
Old 14-07-2013, 09:04
Mr Msppedia

I'm pretty sure in one of the recent interviews Nicky said he hated not doing a physical release for This Is The Day and that it felt wrong so I would expect at least 1 CD and a 7"
Old 14-07-2013, 09:08
A self-made vacuum

As a completeist I want physical releases. I don't like the impersonal nature of digital.
Old 14-07-2013, 09:11
Doors slowly closing

If the song is being played on radio from tomorrow, it would be a stupid record company that waited until the 9 September release date to simply stick it on iTunes.

Also, there was a physical release for TITD, you just had to buy National Treasures from HMV to get it.
Old 14-07-2013, 09:11
A self-made vacuum

Speaking of SMTW, there was a little mention on radio 1 today about the first play of the manics "happy, camp, 70's ditty" single on Jo Whiley tomorrow.
Old 14-07-2013, 09:13
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
If the song is being played on radio from tomorrow, it would be a stupid record company that waited until the 9 September release date to simply stick it on iTunes.
It would make sense for it to be released on iTunes tomorrow but they could still do a physical release.