Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-02-2019, 23:10
Banned

Wasn't it Barbara Ellen (from Meloday Maker) who took Richey to task about the Bankok prostitute? I have that interview somewhere, it was reproduced in a commemmorative issue of the magazine.

Edit: It was Barbara Ellen but it was NME. Here's some scans: http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp..._28th_May_1994

Last edited by Velocitygirl; 28-02-2019 at 23:14.
Old 28-02-2019, 23:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Fair points but as he did speak about going to see a prostitute when they were in Bangkok I see no reason to disbelieve him regarding that. I'm trying to remember the journalist that took him to task on it later unwilling to let it just be brushed off when it seemed the antithesis of so much he stood for and he got upset/frustrated a little. I can see how maybe from his persepective it meant nothing and he was just trying to make himself feel something or whatever the reasoning goes as if it's a form of self harm but it's not the same another person isn't there to be exploited like a razor blade. It is something I didn't understand as that didn't seem to be in character .... although he did have an ego it seems fair to say......but he was never a 'lad' I never doubted he wasn't speaking the truth....I think he may have regretted speaking the truth. Should've lied like everybody else? Or just not done it like some stupid dumbshit exploitative tourist
'Bangkok Sucker Blues' and the journalist was Barbara Ellen. She does have a "bravo! You go, sister!" moment at the end of the piece, but it kind of trails off into a bit of a somber tone because he's really not challenging any of her criticisms. It's interesting to note however that after they went to Bangkok, not only did his mental health start to really decline so too did his eating.

http://www.thisisyesterday.com/ints/bangkokint.html
Old 28-02-2019, 23:25
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
Wasn't it Barbara Ellen (from Meloday Maker) who took Richey to task about the Bankok prostitute? I have that interview somewhere, it was reproduced in a commemmorative issue of the magazine.

Edit: It was Barbara Ellen but it was NME. Here's some scans: http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp..._28th_May_1994
Lol! You beat me to it!
Old 28-02-2019, 23:26
Winterlover

Quote:

Yep. It’s heavily implied in the book that she made the whole thing up, or just DIDN’T UNDERSTAND, because NO-ONE UNDERSTANDS. (Bonus points for discrediting a female journalist in a horrifyingly hyper-male environment.) Whether Richey was being provocative - he did seek out someone to offer the information to, and lbr, was a master of bluster - or truthful, which is also very possible all things considered - the main line I take from this ‘perhaps I wanted to make a point about my sexuality’, which I think is loaded as fuck.

James really doesn’t come over well in that article either, not that that makes Richey’s behaviour any better. Just urgh all round.

Last edited by sofarsideways; 28-02-2019 at 23:30.
Old 28-02-2019, 23:46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
Yep. It’s heavily implied in the book that she made the whole thing up, or just DIDN’T UNDERSTAND, because NO-ONE UNDERSTANDS. (Bonus points for discrediting a female journalist in a horrifyingly hyper-male environment.)
Really?!

I get that they want to portray Richey as a latter day saint. I expected it. But to denigrate others and demonise them (made it up, indeed!) to cast Richey in a more saintly light is such a shitty and cheap tactic. They'll need to do a lot better than that when it comes to re-writing history.
Old 28-02-2019, 23:47
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
I've read a few early sources that say he actually checked out at 7 am, but that info has long since been debunked. The author of A Version of Reason seems to have been given quite a bit of access to the police files concerning Richey's disappearance and the description he gives in the book about Richey leaving the hotel reads like he lifted it verbatim from a report. Apparently he was seen walking out of the elevator (lift) by the desk staff at approximately 7 am, he walked past the front desk, down three steps, out the front door and then turned left toward the car park. I think the team behind this new book are now questioning this sighting because of the 24 hour clock revelation. I get why they are questioning it, but if the police at the time received sighting confirmations from more than one witness, I think it's a safe bet he was there at that time.

That's funny, but it's also a bit sad. Poor bugger!
I don't disagree with you Bryter Layter but wow that's a lot of detailed info. Is anyone who spotted him this precise? I would never be able to provide that much info. However if he was recognized by someone who is a fan then the precision and attention to detail would be spot on.

What I was hoping for in this book and so far this is far from the book's intention is credible details that might have been uncovered. I was hoping the toll ticket could lead to something. Given his mental state could he have carried out a disappearance? Yes he was certainly smart enough but with his mental state Idk. Given the fact he appears to have lived in the car for up to two weeks shows me he was uncertain what he wanted to do, or he was waiting for something he thought might be important like a new passport, tightening any loose ends or other speculation.

As for reclaiming Richey I'm not sure what Rachel means? In her grief yes, she could simply want someone to blame. But in my opinion it is difficult to take out the rockstar stuff as this is what consumed him for several years. How can u separate them? But not to belabor the point his mental health and problems associated with that like alcohol and anorexia are a significant part of Richey. This doesn't make him a bad person. I think the band recognized this and tried to help him as best they could. You can only look to Nicky and his extreme weight loss that shows that he was affected. I have read somewhere in a few different places that I can't recall, he was drinking again and crumbling chocolate in a bowl by January 95. Why does Rachel, after all these years, now need to blame someone?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:06
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiden View Post
I Why does Rachel, after all these years, now need to blame someone?
I reckon SHR has given her the perfect outlet for her grief. Take it out on the band.
She has had the chance in many magazine and newspaper interviews over the years to say how she feels.It Seems like hooking up with SHR has made her all brave and daft enough to talk a load of bollocks.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:41
Born to end

This whole thread is really interesting to read.

And about painting a black & white picture of Saint Richey VS the Evil Band, it reminds me of this quote from American sociologist Matthew Desmond : "There are not one, but two ways to dehumanize. The first is to strip people of all virtue, and the second is to cleanse them of all sin".

This book is a sad thing for everyone involved.

Est-il possible de restaurer la vertu de la gratuité alors que le diktat marchand indexe de manière paroxystique toute valeur à sa dimension pécuniaire ?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:43
Winterlover

Previous two posts are bang on.
Old 01-03-2019, 20:55
Winterlover

Barbara Ellen. Thank yous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
Yep. It’s heavily implied in the book that she made the whole thing up, or just DIDN’T UNDERSTAND, because NO-ONE UNDERSTANDS. (Bonus points for discrediting a female journalist in a horrifyingly hyper-male environment.) Whether Richey was being provocative - he did seek out someone to offer the information to, and lbr, was a master of bluster - or truthful, which is also very possible all things considered - the main line I take from this ‘perhaps I wanted to make a point about my sexuality’, which I think is loaded as fuck.

James really doesn’t come over well in that article either, not that that makes Richey’s behaviour any better. Just urgh all round.
I'm not sure there's much to fail to understand do you? Even if they're suggesting he just said it to provoke ...... what reaction was he hoping for? A point about his sexuality? He sounds like a stroppy teen. When pushed he says there's no difference between that and sleeping with a groupie, all functional....of course it doesn't mean anything on any deep level, no one thinks that but for him to equate the two situations - a groupie of her own accord, star struck though she may be (& he wasn't that bloody famous) and a prostitute where her choice may be no choice at all, you don't know what's lead her to this and clearly don't think to care to ask.... and to think you can buy another person's body....there's no thought in his justification beyond his own self centredness. And it grates so cos I thought he was better than that, he was certainly bright enough...

Doesn't mean that one thing defines the man though, I don't see why they can't acknowledge that side, for who is perfect. That doesn't discredit all of his writings, not at all.....James was clearly acting like a proper twat too if that makes them feel any better
Nick though - a sweetheart
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 02-03-2019, 10:47
Stretched out in the sun

It’s been a while since I last visited this thread as I’ve been busy with IRL stuff, but thank you to everyone - particularly Sofa - who has taken the time to dip into this hateful book and give us the confirmation that it is, indeed, a hit piece against the boys. The more I read of what you guys have posted, the more infuriated I’ve become. This is not someone trying to take back Richey Edwards and his legacy and present us with the reality of the man; this is someone attempting to reshape the existing myth to better suit their own narrative.

Quote:

One random observation: why does the author refer to Rob Stringer as “the living embodiment of capitalist evil”? That’s a bit fucking strong, don’t you think?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:08
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
It’s been a while since I last visited this thread as I’ve been busy with IRL stuff, but thank you to everyone - particularly Sofa - who has taken the time to dip into this hateful book and give us the confirmation that it is, indeed, a hit piece against the boys. The more I read of what you guys have posted, the more infuriated I’ve become. This is not someone trying to take back Richey Edwards and his legacy and present us with the reality of the man; this is someone attempting to reshape the existing myth to better suit their own narrative.

One random observation: why does the author refer to Rob Stringer as “the living embodiment of capitalist evil”? That’s a bit fucking strong, don’t you think?
Amen to all you've said .

The quote is very strong. However, on its own, that's all it is - a very strong and unreasonable opinion. In SHR's book, quoting that should have been irrelevant. Paired with the revelation that Rob Stringer is Jewish, you start to see a whopping problem.

Not only that, but Rob has been a friend and supporter of the
Band through thick and thin. So he's another one under the bus for the sake of the notion that the band, and all who sail in her, are evil.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:22
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post

Head of major record label? Maybe just being tongue and cheek, she was writing for the NME after all. It's a magazine that always preferred snark and hyperbole over actual journalism.

Just a fun tidbit, Ms. Ellen was the journalist who 'reviewed' GT for the NME. Though she gave it 10/10, the review more like a press release for the band rather than a review of actual music. I don't think any song titles are even mentioned.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:34
Knowlede Is Power

Is there really some borderline or alluded to anti semetic hints in this book? It really wouldn't surprise me if there was but it would make it extremely fucking nasty.
And completely unnecessary.
Old 02-03-2019, 13:11
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
Is there really some borderline or alluded to anti semetic hints in this book? It really wouldn't surprise me if there was but it would make it extremely fucking nasty.
And completely unnecessary.
I would also like to know about this as i keep seeing it mentioned.