Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 11:06
Knowlede Is Power

I waited for about an hour after Glasgow, by the tourbus, but they didn't show. Venue staff and road crew started coming out at that point to say that the band had already left (ie the same blatant lie they tell us every single time, usually five minutes before the band come out). I felt they were being quite forceful about it though, and got the distinct impression that the band had no intention of speaking to us if they could help it.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:22
Administrator

Maybe it's just a combination of the mental exhaustion and wanting to get James whizzed away before he gets sick. I'm happy for him not to spend hours in the cold if it means he makes it to the end of the tour!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:31
Stretched out in the sun

Eh, people are queuing in the cold rain and risking making themselves ill and they're the same people waiting for the band afterwards. I'd rather the band were quarantined, I got my canceled gig attendance hattrick a couple of years ago, don't want to add to it.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

glad everyone had a great time at the gig last night, i really feared this tour but couldnt miss it. im so pleased i went to glasgow...i love this band!
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness
Old 11-12-2014, 12:10
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Maybe it's just a combination of the mental exhaustion and wanting to get James whizzed away before he gets sick. I'm happy for him not to spend hours in the cold if it means he makes it to the end of the tour!
In the NME article the other week it was said that James is in a lot of pain with a dental abcess but didn't want to risk treatment in case it affected his voice, so he's knocking back antibiotics and hoping for the best. Plus side of that would be that he's unlikely to come down with the flu if he's loaded up on antibiotics.

I agree that it's probably emotional/mental exhaustion after the gigs. Also if James is in pain with the abcess and Nicky is having back trouble, then it makes sense they don't want to piss about afterwards.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
Plus side of that would be that he's unlikely to come down with the flu if he's loaded up on antibiotics.
Nah, the flu is a virus .
Old 11-12-2014, 12:41
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Yeah me too, the way Nicky legged it off last night shows how much he just wants to get it over and done with.
Old 11-12-2014, 13:15
Born to end

I did think this tour would be very hard on them emotionally.

Even without all the emotional baggage that surrounds the the album and the period. It's very intense and physical album to play live.
Old 11-12-2014, 13:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Grissom View Post
Yeah me too, the way Nicky legged it off last night shows how much he just wants to get it over and done with.
I spose. Kinda weird they would announce more dates not until mid-next year if it was really that hard on them, though.
Old 11-12-2014, 13:44
Born to end

Quote:
I spose. Kinda weird they would announce more dates not until mid-next year if it was really that hard on them, though.
I'm guessing he 2015 dates where sorted before this tour started.

Maybe they underestimated the emotional impact it would have on them.
Old 11-12-2014, 13:47
An imitation of dignity

I've seen the Manics live so many times now, but that has to be the best. James was on fire! The Holy Bible was incredible, I never thought I'd see them play the whole thing live. 4st 7lbs! Mausoleum! Intense Humming of Evil! Amazing. But how to follow that? With a rip-roaring Motorcycle Emptiness! I've always liked 1985 so it was great to hear that return to the set, Divine Youth sounded just great with Nicky on vocals. Dreaming A City just showed how far they've come as musicians over the last 25 years and allowed JDB to be a proper guitar-hero, and the finale of You Love Us and Design For Life were just perfect. The crowd seemed to be moshing the whole gig, punching the air and singing every word. Incredible!

A couple of photos:

Old 11-12-2014, 14:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

Fantastic night - a little surreal, too - so glad to finally hear songs like Of Walking Abortion and IWATTTFODIWWFA, but Mausoleum was the standout favourite for me. Stood right in the middle for THB set to get the best sound and to soak it up, then moved to the barrier for the 'Hits' and a little pogo-ing.

A handful of pics from the floor:

Old 11-12-2014, 14:57
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
Was Georgia Ruth doing the duet?
Actually it was Nicky doing her parts!

Well that was a wonderful night! I did spend a good hour wandering around Manchester asking people where the Albert Hall was. Nobody knew! I was this close >.< to doing a Stan Smith and yelling "Why doesn't anybody know anything in this city!"
Made it to the venue. Stood by one of the pillars. Remembered I worked in a call centre, so my hearing is going to be fucked, but try and keep your voice intact.
Well that lasted! Screaming along to Mausoleum and others. I realised if I sang loudly and in a much higher pitch I could make myself out over the noise.
However it did cause a few heads to turn in a "The fuck?!!" moment.
Stayed for the whole of the first set.
For THB there were some great moments of humour. Before 4st7lb, James played what sounded like the opening notes of Mausoleum. The crowd shouted and he did a perfectly passive aggressive "I know!" which raised a laugh.
Nicky said he was more miserable than he was 20 years ago playing this stuff. And Sean was even more miserable than him!
Because of some hotel fee (Double charged! But getting refunded) I had to kiss goodbye my intention of buying the Hoody, but got the "Who's Responsible?" t-shirt. Very good fabric!
I went down to get a drink of coke (Knowing I'd never be able to get back to my prime vantage point) and could hear YSTSFMH. So thought "Yeah, I'll wait here and have a ciggy outside." And then they played "Dreaming A City" fedkjgkjkrjg!!
Very pleased to see three tracks from Futurology played.
And I met a few from here as well.
I was saying I don't have to see them live again for another couple of years now. But see how that goes.
And I did take pictures with a fun camera (They lied! There was nothing fun about this contraption at all!) and when processed I'll upload them.
And yes, I did see one or two people leave the place at the interval.
Old 11-12-2014, 15:00
Doors slowly closing

^ I looked for you before Aaron but didn't see you. I forgot about the wrong intro bit - did you see Nicky shout at JDB?
Old 11-12-2014, 15:16
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Grissom View Post
^ I looked for you before Aaron but didn't see you. I forgot about the wrong intro bit - did you see Nicky shout at JDB?
Is that what happened? I could barely make out a word they said on the stage!