Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: which era produced more essential stuff (by Manics of course) for music history
90s (1990-2000) 45 93.75%
00s (2001-2010) 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2012, 19:16
Doors slowly closing

Not an easy question to answer.

My favourite period of the band was from 1994-2004 so that spans both decades. I suppose that the first decade was probably more essential, as it allowed the band to grow from a bit of a novelty to a mature outfit.

1990s:

GT - If they'd recorded it in the style of the Heavenly recordings and left 50% off, it would've been a great album. Sadly, they ruined everything and sold their souls to a more FM friendly sound thinking Guns N Roses fans would pick up on it. Important possibly as it gave the world Motorcycle Emptiness, but the album didn't really live up to their claims and failed to make a real impact. Band seemed like a novelty act around this time if you ask me.

GATS - They tried very hard not to repeat themselves, credit to them. Sadly they didn't have enough songs to back it up. Despite the radio friendly sound it didn't make them stadium rockers, a bit of a tumbleweed.

THB - Again tried very hard not to repeat themselves. A completely new direction, fresh image, and a gutsy attitude. None of the earlier novelty, this album is very important as it made them into the band they should've been all along. Also made them a big name act, as they sold out three nights (yes three!) at The Astoria. Richey had bared his soul and really nobody knew where they were heading next....Then Richey went missing as it was getting good for them, and everyone thought they were finished...

EMG - ...they weren't! Far from it, this album is essential as they managed to cross over to the mainstream like they'd always wanted. Not only that, but they didn't lose any of their credibility and the songwriting was better than ever. You look at bands today like Snow Patrol and Elbow who have been in decline since they became more highly recognised, the Manics carried on like none of that mattered. They kept it '4 Real' entirely.

TIMT - Keeping with the ever changing direction of the music, they release their most honest and human album to date (IMO). Musically it goes where no other band would dare to go, and lyrically Nicky is laid bare for all to see. It really must've drained him writing these songs, and we're very thankful for it. Didn't make the band any bigger than they already were, but did give them a few more brits and another number one album. The NME start slagging them off for 'selling out' forgetting they signed a record deal in 1991. This album is vital purely for Nicky's lyrics and the band's musicianship.

2000s:

KYE - Feeling they were getting a bit too big for their own shoes, they thought they'd try to lose a few of their non-hardcore fans. Fortunately they came up with their most eclectic and fun album to date, even if you don't like the album much you can't deny the band seemed to be having alot of fun with it. It's quite an uplifting album in that respect, despite the political lyrics and occasionally obtuse music. It's one of the most important albums to me because its the first one i bought on the day it was released, but to the wider public and press its considered a failure. What do they know?!

FD - A bit pointless really. Although it gave us a nice tour and a chance to hear songs not played in a while, we could've done with an album in the style of TBTGOG around this time. No need for the band to release a GH though, it sold nowhere near as much as they'd hoped.

LB - After FD it was time to wipe the slate clean and start again. It definitely sounded like that is what they were doing, as this was unlike any Manics (actually, ANY) album before it. I understand how some people say it doesn't sound like the Manics, but that is no bad thing as the Manics should never be associated with any kind of sound. This is the band really putting on a brave face and releasing the music they really felt deeply they had to make. It wasn't successful and they were panned for it, but the fans loved it and the band secretly loved it as well. This album is an essential part of their history as without it, we would never have seen how far they could push themselves. They could've made another EMG after KYE but they decided to go in completely the opposite direction and try harder. Isn't this why we love this band so much because they'll try anything without shame?!

After LB is where it all went wrong, they got bored of being interesting and decided to play it safe. It pains me to say it but...

SATT - ...they got lazy! They were so injured by the press after LB that they started to believe it all! Us true fans were there saying 'No it's ok you can be who you want to be!', but the band weren't having any of it. Regrettably, they decided to try and re-claim what was once theirs...popularity. Of course anybody intentionally doing this is doomed to fail creatively, and the Manics i feel really did fail here. Although the album has a good few tracks, it is bogged down by them trying too hard to write 'anthems'.

JFPL - ...until somebody invented a time machine and went back in time to rescue the KYE-era Manics. JFPL really sounds like it could've come right after KYE, in terms of it's harsher sound and punk attitude towards the music (i mean that they didn't give a fuck about what people thought about them). Perhaps it is the fact that they decided to use Richey's words that made them go back to making music from the heart, who knows? The easy thing would've been to record another version of THB, but this album sounds nothing like that and nothing like anything else they had done. This album is a vital piece of history, it brought the band full circle and if it was to be their last, what a fitting way to end it all! Yay we've got our Manics back, or so we thought...

PFAYM ...and Oh. Damn. Er...ok. That's all i've really got to say about it...execpt...what the hell guys? You got us all worked up for something truly substantial and you give us this??!! Huh?! Are you CRAZY?! This is possibly the most UNimportant album of all time.

So, three important albums in the 1990s, and three important ones in the 2000s. Think we're about even!

Last edited by Radiomanic; 09-02-2012 at 19:21.
Old 09-02-2012, 21:43
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
Not an easy question to answer.

My favourite period of the band was from 1994-2004 so that spans both decades. I suppose that the first decade was probably more essential, as it allowed the band to grow from a bit of a novelty to a mature outfit.

1990s:

GT - If they'd recorded it in the style of the Heavenly recordings and left 50% off, it would've been a great album. Sadly, they ruined everything and sold their souls to a more FM friendly sound thinking Guns N Roses fans would pick up on it. Important possibly as it gave the world Motorcycle Emptiness, but the album didn't really live up to their claims and failed to make a real impact. Band seemed like a novelty act around this time if you ask me.

GATS - They tried very hard not to repeat themselves, credit to them. Sadly they didn't have enough songs to back it up. Despite the radio friendly sound it didn't make them stadium rockers, a bit of a tumbleweed.

THB - Again tried very hard not to repeat themselves. A completely new direction, fresh image, and a gutsy attitude. None of the earlier novelty, this album is very important as it made them into the band they should've been all along. Also made them a big name act, as they sold out three nights (yes three!) at The Astoria. Richey had bared his soul and really nobody knew where they were heading next....Then Richey went missing as it was getting good for them, and everyone thought they were finished...

EMG - ...they weren't! Far from it, this album is essential as they managed to cross over to the mainstream like they'd always wanted. Not only that, but they didn't lose any of their credibility and the songwriting was better than ever. You look at bands today like Snow Patrol and Elbow who have been in decline since they became more highly recognised, the Manics carried on like none of that mattered. They kept it '4 Real' entirely.

TIMT - Keeping with the ever changing direction of the music, they release their most honest and human album to date (IMO). Musically it goes where no other band would dare to go, and lyrically Nicky is laid bare for all to see. It really must've drained him writing these songs, and we're very thankful for it. Didn't make the band any bigger than they already were, but did give them a few more brits and another number one album. The NME start slagging them off for 'selling out' forgetting they signed a record deal in 1991. This album is vital purely for Nicky's lyrics and the band's musicianship.

2000s:

KYE - Feeling they were getting a bit too big for their own shoes, they thought they'd try to lose a few of their non-hardcore fans. Fortunately they came up with their most eclectic and fun album to date, even if you don't like the album much you can't deny the band seemed to be having alot of fun with it. It's quite an uplifting album in that respect, despite the political lyrics and occasionally obtuse music. It's one of the most important albums to me because its the first one i bought on the day it was released, but to the wider public and press its considered a failure. What do they know?!

FD - A bit pointless really. Although it gave us a nice tour and a chance to hear songs not played in a while, we could've done with an album in the style of TBTGOG around this time. No need for the band to release a GH though, it sold nowhere near as much as they'd hoped.

LB - After FD it was time to wipe the slate clean and start again. It definitely sounded like that is what they were doing, as this was unlike any Manics (actually, ANY) album before it. I understand how some people say it doesn't sound like the Manics, but that is no bad thing as the Manics should never be associated with any kind of sound. This is the band really putting on a brave face and releasing the music they really felt deeply they had to make. It wasn't successful and they were panned for it, but the fans loved it and the band secretly loved it as well. This album is an essential part of their history as without it, we would never have seen how far they could push themselves. They could've made another EMG after KYE but they decided to go in completely the opposite direction and try harder. Isn't this why we love this band so much because they'll try anything without shame?!

After LB is where it all went wrong, they got bored of being interesting and decided to play it safe. It pains me to say it but...

SATT - ...they got lazy! They were so injured by the press after LB that they started to believe it all! Us true fans were there saying 'No it's ok you can be who you want to be!', but the band weren't having any of it. Regrettably, they decided to try and re-claim what was once theirs...popularity. Of course anybody intentionally doing this is doomed to fail creatively, and the Manics i feel really did fail here. Although the album has a good few tracks, it is bogged down by them trying too hard to write 'anthems'.

JFPL - ...until somebody invented a time machine and went back in time to rescue the KYE-era Manics. JFPL really sounds like it could've come right after KYE, in terms of it's harsher sound and punk attitude towards the music (i mean that they didn't give a fuck about what people thought about them). Perhaps it is the fact that they decided to use Richey's words that made them go back to making music from the heart, who knows? The easy thing would've been to record another version of THB, but this album sounds nothing like that and nothing like anything else they had done. This album is a vital piece of history, it brought the band full circle and if it was to be their last, what a fitting way to end it all! Yay we've got our Manics back, or so we thought...

PFAYM ...and Oh. Damn. Er...ok. That's all i've really got to say about it...execpt...what the hell guys? You got us all worked up for something truly substantial and you give us this??!! Huh?! Are you CRAZY?! This is possibly the most UNimportant album of all time.

So, three important albums in the 1990s, and three important ones in the 2000s. Think we're about even!
some good thoughts there! But You don't seem to be good in maths the one basic rule is that you can't count KYE as an important album
Old 10-02-2012, 00:46
I am purity, they call me perverted

2001-2010. 'Tis the truth
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
WHAT!?! Are you crazy???

(My best Wayne Coyne impersonation there! )
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 10-02-2012, 21:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
Here's my go at this....

2001. KYE - 'experimental', uncommercial record with strange mix of lyrics that rip off GT & Faster.
In what way is KYE uncommercial?! And as for a rip-off of GT and Faster? Lost for words. I mean, REALLY?
Old 10-02-2012, 21:25
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by framedadolescence View Post
In what way is KYE uncommercial?! And as for a rip-off of GT and Faster? Lost for words. I mean, REALLY?
KYE was not uncommercial, it was pubescent stubborn commercial record balancing between strange rich-punk songs and stupid pop songs.
Old 10-02-2012, 22:21
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by framedadolescence View Post
In what way is KYE uncommercial?!
It's shit.

No, but seriously, I don't mind KYE, I just can't help myself anymore.