Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-08-2010, 12:16
I live to fall asleep

JDB Double Neck Guitar

In another thread someone mentioned JDB playing a double neck on the KYE tour. Is this true and does anyone have a photo?

Was discussing earlier with a mate that we've only ever seen two guitarists pull off the double neck without looking silly, but I didn't know JDB had ever played one?
Old 31-08-2010, 12:23
I live to fall asleep

This is most certainly true and I did have a photo, but I realised it's on my other computer. But there's definitely a photo on here, cuz this is where I got it from

Cambridge Corn Exchange - 08.05.07 // NME Big Gig - 28.02.08 // Reading Festival - 23.08.08 // Heavenly Gig - 12.09.08 // Newport Centre - 23.10.10 // Bristol Colston Hall - 25.10.10 // Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01.11.10 // Blackwood Miner's Institute - 27.01.11 // Cardiff CIA - 21.05.11 // Christmas Party O2 Arena - 17.12.11 //
Old 31-08-2010, 12:26
Doors slowly closing

From guitargeek forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found out info on his rig, if anyone's interested. It's about 95% correct, if not more. He's one of my favourite guitarists, and I was bored, so... Guitars are:

Gibson Les Paul customs with piezo bridges
Fender USA Tele Custom w/B Bender bridge. Tuned to open G with a high C for Tsunami
Fender Mexi Tele Custom in Drop D tuning for Ocean Spray
Fender Thinline Classic tuned to open G and used for Kevin Carter
Fender USA Jazzmaster used for Of Walking Abortion
Old 31-08-2010, 12:32
HBIC

Placeholder while i look for the bigger one...

Old 31-08-2010, 12:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post

Brill!

That is like him holding a Pie and a Pint lol!
Old 31-08-2010, 12:40
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post

Ooh, stunning. thank you.
Old 31-08-2010, 12:46
Builder of routine

I hate doublenecks, but he does look damn cool!
Old 31-08-2010, 14:28
I live to fall asleep

I've never understood these style of guitars but they look fun. I don't know details on guitars and I don't pretend to - what the difference between a normal guitar and this double thing? And while we're at it - how do all these hundreds and hundres of different guitars sound different to one another, they have 6 strings (apart from weird 12 ones which again I don't understand) so....I don't get it. Is it just the look of the guitar when someone shells out say £2,000 compared to a £200 guitar?
James kind of looks cool in that pic, but you can it's 2001 - he has that shirt on, that just tells you instantly it's KYE era hahaha!
Old 31-08-2010, 14:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I've never understood these style of guitars but they look fun. I don't know details on guitars and I don't pretend to - what the difference between a normal guitar and this double thing? And while we're at it - how do all these hundreds and hundres of different guitars sound different to one another, they have 6 strings (apart from weird 12 ones which again I don't understand) so....I don't get it. Is it just the look of the guitar when someone shells out say £2,000 compared to a £200 guitar?
James kind of looks cool in that pic, but you can it's 2001 - he has that shirt on, that just tells you instantly it's KYE era hahaha!
This means he can play both bass and guitar in the same song without changing over, which would be chaotic in the middle of a song, on the whole.
Expensive guitars, whilst alot of the time the name could add some expense, they do sound so much better than say a £150 copy. They'd be more reliable, easier to play and made from better materials.
The pickups on the guitar will be much better for example, with a better tone etc etc.

Cambridge Corn Exchange - 08.05.07 // NME Big Gig - 28.02.08 // Reading Festival - 23.08.08 // Heavenly Gig - 12.09.08 // Newport Centre - 23.10.10 // Bristol Colston Hall - 25.10.10 // Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01.11.10 // Blackwood Miner's Institute - 27.01.11 // Cardiff CIA - 21.05.11 // Christmas Party O2 Arena - 17.12.11 //
Old 31-08-2010, 14:37
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I've never understood these style of guitars but they look fun. I don't know details on guitars and I don't pretend to - what the difference between a normal guitar and this double thing?
In this instance the difference was it had a bass too, meaning James can play the bass part of MEDD live as well, freeing Wire up to have a stab at the guitar but mainly focus on the important things like shouting and rolling around on the stage showing everyone his pants.

Its all about the subtle tonal differences though, or so I was once told.

James compared it to asking a girl why she needs more than one lipstick.

Though I would say thats so you can always compliment your outfit, which

I'm presuming is not the reason he bought so many guitars though, if for no other reason than I'm willing to stake he owns more guitars than he does outfits.
Old 31-08-2010, 14:43
I live to fall asleep

The sound of a Telecaster differs greatly from that of a Les Paul or Stratocaster which is why you see different guitars being used more in different genres.

James owns more than one guitar also because, when he plays songs in different tunings (This Is Yesterday is one example) he'll change to using a different guitar already tuned to the tuning he wants, instead of having to retune every string on stage, which takes time and looks unprofessional.

James tends to use a Telecaster in Kevin Carter, the sound of the guitar is similar in tone to that of say Blur or Bloc Party (on their first album), who both use Teles
If that makes things easier to understand?

Old 31-08-2010, 15:09
Freed from the century

Thanks for the explanation

So do I have to buy different guitars to play This Is Yesterday and Of Walking Abortion, for example?
Old 31-08-2010, 15:18
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love You View Post
Thanks for the explanation

So do I have to buy different guitars to play This Is Yesterday and Of Walking Abortion, for example?
Oh no not at all all guitars tunings can be changed quite easily on any guitar. Just on stage it would be very un rock and roll to sit there watching Bradders twiddle with his headstock for a few mintues

Sometimes he simply uses a different guitar because of the change in tone etc

Old 31-08-2010, 15:31
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-eh View Post
Oh no not at all all guitars tunings can be changed quite easily on any guitar. Just on stage it would be very un rock and roll to sit there watching Bradders twiddle with his headstock for a few mintues

Sometimes he simply uses a different guitar because of the change in tone etc
Thank you. I'm learning quite a lot through this thread

ps. just came to my memory a funny but not good experience I had months ago...one day I tried to change tunings and the fourth string(D) was broken lol the quality of my guitar isn't good I think...my dad bought it for about 120 euros if my memory isn't bad

Edit: so I had been thinking it was better to have different guitars than to change tuning

Ah it's a classical guitar

Last edited by life is so silent; 31-08-2010 at 15:40.
Old 31-08-2010, 15:50
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love You View Post
Thank you. I'm learning quite a lot through this thread

ps. just came to my memory a funny but not good experience I had months ago...one day I tried to change tunings and the fourth string(D) was broken lol the quality of my guitar isn't good I think...my dad bought it for about 120 euros if my memory isn't bad

Edit: so I had been thinking it was better to have different guitars than to change tuning

Ah it's a classical guitar
on the whole most guitars will be able to cope with changed tunings, sometimes it's the strings themselves. Classical guitars I can imagine not being as resilient with very vast tunings, but on the whole it could be one of many factors.
By certainly don't buy another guitar for different tunings at home unless you can't be bothered to change it all the time haha.