Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-01-2009, 20:19
Bored out of my mind

James And Sir Kyffin Williams

Whilst browsing on highbeam.com came across an article about James driving up to Anglesey with Mylene to actually meet Sir Kyffin Williams. Mylene had wanted to buy James a drawing by the artist when they got married in 2004 but instead bought him a proper painting.(Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! I'm quite an arty person so gold star for that Mrs B!). Yeah, they visited Kyffin Williams and he was saying how pleased he was about having a song being written about him. Also said he was suprised that someone like James would be interested in his art! Bless! Have saved the article so might try and put the whole thing up. To read it in full on highbeam.com you can get a free 7 day trial but you have to give card details. Just thought that was interesting. And does it also mean that James can actually drive? The plot thickens.......................................... ...........
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-01-2009, 20:30
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
To read it in full on highbeam.com you can get a free 7 day trial but you have to give card details. Just thought that was interesting. And does it also mean that James can actually drive? The plot thickens.......................................... ...........
*coughs* Copy and Paste! *coughs*
Old 17-01-2009, 20:31
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmlyn View Post
they recently opened a gallery for his art work on Anglsey. Meant to go and see it last time i was home, but being useless I chickened out of going on my own incase i was the only one there.
Aaaaaaaw! I'm sure there would have been plenty of arty peeps knocking about! Went to Anglesey a good few years back and was totally unaware of any well known artists from there (at the time!).
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-01-2009, 20:31
Administrator

Quote:
Whilst browsing on highbeam.com came across an article about James driving up to Anglesey with Mylene to actually meet Sir Kyffin Williams. Mylene had wanted to buy James a drawing by the artist when they got married in 2004 but instead bought him a proper painting.(Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! I'm quite an arty person so gold star for that Mrs B!). Yeah, they visited Kyffin Williams and he was saying how pleased he was about having a song being written about him. Also said he was suprised that someone like James would be interested in his art! Bless! Have saved the article so might try and put the whole thing up. To read it in full on highbeam.com you can get a free 7 day trial but you have to give card details. Just thought that was interesting. And does it also mean that James can actually drive? The plot thickens.......................................... ...........
That's really sweet. My Great Aunt was very good friends with Kyffin, but I never managed to get around to telling her to tell him about James' song .
Old 17-01-2009, 20:32
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
*coughs* Copy and Paste! *coughs*
But doing it on a laptop is so blinking FIDDLY!!! But I'll try! Tis a sweet story anyway!
Old 17-01-2009, 20:36
Bored out of my mind

I'm just getting a load of crap coming up at the moment and I've saved loads of articles so that will be loads of crap then and not the actual articles. Damn.
Old 17-01-2009, 20:38
Bored out of my mind

Good old fashioned pen and paper it is then!
Old 17-01-2009, 20:38
Builder of routine

Thank you.
Old 17-01-2009, 20:40
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Thank you.
Anytime! Gonna have a very sore hand now and only got 6 days left of my free trial before I have to cancel it so better get cracking I suppose!
Old 17-01-2009, 21:06
Bored out of my mind

The Liverpool Daily Post & Echo
May 29 2006

by Roland Hughes

Wales : Preacher Man's Tribute To Artist
Bradfield Sings Solo About Painter Sir Kyffin Williams

Two of Wales' biggest cultural ambassadors will be united in song with the release of a new album this summer. Manic Street Preachers' lead singer James Dean Bradfield will release his first solo album in July. And among the songs is a tribute to his native Wales and suprisingly, to renowned Angelsey painter Sir Kyffin Williams.

(Will edit up the rest, busy at the mo'!)
Old 17-01-2009, 21:19
Winterlover

Byline: By ROLAND HUGHES

TWO of Wales' biggest cultural ambassadors will be united in song with the release of a new album this summer.

Manic Street Preachers' lead singer James Dean Bradfield will release his first solo album in July.

And among the album's songs is a tribute to his native Wales - and, surprisingly, to renowned Anglesey painter Sir Kyffin Williams.

The pair met for the first time at Sir Kyffin's Brynsiencyn home last month, with the painter describing the reference on the album as "a great honour".

Bradfield, of Newport, will release his album, The Great Western, on July 24 after almost 20 successful years as lead singer with the Manics.

The 11-track album is firmly rooted in Wales, and nowhere more so than on its final track, Which Way to Kyffin.

In an interview promoting the album, Bradfield said: "I was in west Wales last year, and I had this feeling where I didn't want to go back to London and was really fighting not to go back.

"I just felt like driving up to Anglesey to find Kyffin Williams. "Just drive up to North Wales on the spot, make the three-hour journey and paint myself into a corner and never have to leave again.

"Almost in a metaphorical way, like the chorus says, I was trying to paint myself a different life so you can be captured in the painting and don't have to leave it."

Last month, Bradfield did eventually drive up to Anglesey with his wife Mylene to meet Sir Kyffin, arguably Britain's greatest living landcape artist.

Last night, Sir Kyffin, now 88, said: "He was here with his wife about a month ago and I was very impressed by him, actually.

"I always imagined people in pop to be rather superficial. He was the absolute opposite. We were talking about everything.

"People have written poems about me, as you would expect in Wales, but never a song."

Sir Kyffin said Mylene wanted to buy her husband one of his drawings for their 2004 wedding in Italy, but ended up splashing out on an original oil painting instead.

Sir Kyffin learnt he was the subject of a song by reading it in a newspaper, and said: "I am delighted. It's a great honour. It came as a great surprise at my age.

"I am rather pleased. It is very nice to know that someone like him appreciates my work."

The Manic Street Preachers are in the studio recording their eighth album, and Bradfield will release his first solo single, That's No Way To Lie, on July 10.

rolandhughes@dailypost.co.uk

CAPTION(S):

When James Bradfield, of Manic Street Preachers fame, releases his debut solo album this summer, it will contain a tribute to Anglesey painter Sir Kyffin Williams (inset)
Old 17-01-2009, 21:38
Footprint of history

'Bradfield from Newport'??
Old 17-01-2009, 22:02
Bored out of my mind

Mona you are a lifesaver! You wouldn't be able to save all the other JDB related articles from off there for me please? I did 'save page as' but I've got all the weird stuff for the titles and where the pictures go etc. Aaaaaaaaarrrgghhh! Thanks for putting the full article up for me!
Old 17-01-2009, 22:04
Winterlover

Quote:
Mona you are a lifesaver! You wouldn't be able to save all the other JDB related articles from off there for me please? I did 'save page as' but I've got all the weird stuff for the titles and where the pictures go etc. Aaaaaaaaarrrgghhh! Thanks for putting the full article up for me!

I've already saved a few and posted them on Just James
Old 17-01-2009, 22:08
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
'Bradfield from Newport'??
Was thinking that myself! Also, slightly off topic, reading this confirmed to me that Mylene isn't the money grabber that some have tried to make out. (In relation to an old deleted thread of mine - not going further into that one!)