Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-04-2018, 07:56
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post
To be totally honest, I wasn't really so sure about the title of the album and cover picture at first, but after reading and hearing the various interviews (great to have so many to work through) I guess they sum up the place Nicky Wire in particular finds himself in.

He has said in interviews, things that are very close to him in his life life have changed and are changing in unimaginable ways, much like the Japanese samurai in the cover picture. I guess there comes an acceptance that trying to resist those changes is indeed futile, but that there can still be a sense of defiance and pride.

I think the album perfectly captures that conflict of acceptance / rage that he has written about before.
I've enjoyed the interviews I've read and seen, course they give more away in those than we can get from titles alone. I loved that line from Builder of Routines but there's no rage on this album, at least Rewind The Film had 30 Year War. There's always been a lot of conflict going on with that band eh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
I'm really going to defend this album to the hilt against accusations of it being another PFAYM.

There is so much depth in this album - both in terms of lyrical content and the craft of the songs. I still do think that the sound of the album is very close to PFAYM - and this I blame on the Dave Eringa and Jimbo combo - but there is an earnestness in RiF that puts it on another level. It just doesn't seem or sound as calculated as PFAYM or even Futurology.
Ah, wasn't having a pop at PFAYM this time! Aye, agree about it not being as calculated, that was the old "one last shot at mass communication" but saying that, while that was a long tour of medium venues and this is a shorter tour of arenas they may well end up playing to a similar amount of people anyway. Mind you, feels like there's been more of a publicity drive going into and in the week of release this time. Unlikely to beat Strictly for mass communication, but eh, that was few months after anyway. Would've said Futurology's release was mis-calculated rather than calculated really.

Sound-wise, I think it's the smallest departure a Manics album has had from its predecessor. Think that says a lot for a band with a sequence like This Is My Truth, Know Your Enemy and Lifeblood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
Do the charts matter to anyone anymore? Expect for marketing execs and Nicky?
Used to be a bit like football for me, used to like seeing bands/teams I like doing well. I'd be happy for Manics to finally get another number one album, cos it still matters to them.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:35
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

Yeah, that came up on here previously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN23lFKfpck
Must've missed it then, cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiZi View Post
A small citation
"We hereby offer our sincere apologies to all fans of the MSP, but this record does not impress. We also offer our sincere apologies to all the young, motivated and inspired bands who don't get a record deal. Apparently, for God's sake, these boys have priority over you. Blame the record industry."
so true

I've found one review in Polish so far, they gave it 3.5/5 and said the typically beautiful melodies on the album might please the hardcore fans, but ultimately they fall short of ME and ADFL and that there isn't anything edgy about them (no mention of wet carrots though).

On a side note, it's been ages since I've had a new Manics album almost on constant repeat. It's been ages since I cared about their reviews and their chart position, too. How about that?
Old 19-04-2018, 09:11
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

A Song for Sadness, hypothetically speaking would have made not just a great album closer but a great final single for the band encompassing everything great about the band.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 19-04-2018, 09:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Anyone else not got their pre-order copy yet?

My wife ordered the signed deluxe edition before Xmas for me, she got an email saying it had been shipped but there's still no sign of it.

Thus, I have not heard the new record by my favourite band. I refuse to listen to it on Spotify before hearing it on my stereo.
Old 19-04-2018, 09:27
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
Anyone else not got their pre-order copy yet?

My wife ordered the signed deluxe edition before Xmas for me, she got an email saying it had been shipped but there's still no sign of it.

Thus, I have not heard the new record by my favourite band. I refuse to listen to it on Spotify before hearing it on my stereo.
still waiting on mine too. Terrible service.
Old 19-04-2018, 09:47
Stretched out in the sun

The Left Behind has been getting stuck in me head recently, it's grown on me a bit. Didn't see that coming.
Old 19-04-2018, 09:54

Is there anything overseas fans can do for No1?
Old 19-04-2018, 10:11
Doors slowly closing

There’s not much anyone can do at this point. The Greatest Showman is in the lead and pulling away. Fans on Twitter are just in denial.
Old 19-04-2018, 10:28
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canal two View Post
Is there anything overseas fans can do for No1?
Maybe if I search and listen the album to death on Melon. Though I prefer listening to music offline rather tha streaming, for practical reasons.
Old 19-04-2018, 10:33

The Left Behind and Concrete Fields actually are two that I love; after the initial reviews with many very nonplussed with it as album closer it was a welcome surprise I like it so much.

I love the arrangemenrs on this album, so many imaginative instrumental touches bringing life to the melodies. This is especially so on the last 4 or 5 tracks aswell as both deluxe edition songs. I thought RTF and especially Futurology were essential; brilliant works that I still listen to and top tier Manics. The new album is very different in places but some Futurology motifs clearly carried over.Tracks like Hold Me Like a Heaven, In Eternity, Soundtrack to Complete Withdrawal have that wonderful Futurologyesque synth and mood touch, and are for me top tier.

A very commercial album but not a generic one. Plenty of artistry there and they can still make compelling music. JFPL, RTF and F proved that, and this one, though aesthetically in the SATT and PFAYM style, the craft and artistic flourishes elevate it above that duo. Its not The Holy Bible, nor is it as high as Futurology, but it is a quality release with some very compelling moments.

(Ordered the Japanese Deluxe also to obtain the other bonus').
Old 19-04-2018, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
I can't work out if I love or hate Vivian. It's a bit 'Turning Japanese'.

Great album - it's the best out of the triumvirate of SATT, PFAYM and RIF. And a big banker for the band, so we'll no doubt see PFAYM3 soon
Arigatou gozaimasu for the Vapors reference; not being able to put my finger on it was doing my head in!

Dots & Dashes
Old 19-04-2018, 11:25
Bored of being bored

Looks like another #2 album for the boys..... FFS
Old 19-04-2018, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kyle16 View Post
Looks like another #2 album for the boys..... FFS
Anyone got the current sales figures?
29.08.92 Reading 92 - 27.01.94 Southampton - 27.08.94 Reading 94 - 18.10.94 Exeter Uni - 29.05.96 London Forum - 21.10.96 Exeter Uni - 16.12.96 London Forum - 09.04.97 Plymouth Pavillions - 23.08.97 Reading 97 - 19.12.98 Exeter Westpoint Arena - 26.06.99 Glastonbury 99 - 31.12.99 Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 25.08.01 Reading Festival - 14.12.02 Plymouth Pavillions - 15.12.02 Cardiff International Arena - 11.07.03 Move Fest - 10.12.04 Plymouth Pavillions - 13.12.04 Cardiff CIA - 03.04.05 Southampton Guildhall - 12.05.07 Cardiff University - 03.06.07 Truro - 06.12.07 CIA - 21.08.08 Newport Centre - 29.05.09 Camden Roundhouse - 22.10.10 Bournemouth o2 17.12.14 Camden Roundhouse 2016 EMG20 Swansea 2017 Carfest South 2018 TIMTTMY20 Southampton
Old 19-04-2018, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I've enjoyed the interviews I've read and seen, course they give more away in those than we can get from titles alone. I loved that line from Builder of Routines but there's no rage on this album, at least Rewind The Film had 30 Year War. There's always been a lot of conflict going on with that band eh..

I suppose there is a bit of rage in the likes of Broken Algorithims and Sequels of Forgotten Wars, but I would agree that the album (particularly the second half of it which I'm liking more and more) has an air of resignation in it.

Maybe a few years after he wrote that line in Builder of Routines he is erring more towards acceptance than rage.
Old 19-04-2018, 15:04
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireintheblood View Post
Anyone got the current sales figures?
This was yesterday's (Wed) figures. It's already over.

1 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman (21.1k)
2 Manic Street Preachers - Resistance Is Futile (20.9k) *