Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 23-01-2019, 15:56
Desire on its knees

thoughts on Truth & Memory;

the acoustic demo of Nobody Loved You is better than the full band jam session version on the demos disc, but I still just cannot click with the phrasing, compared to the album version.

obviously it'd take a ton of studio wizardry to make it a little more easy on the ear, but i'd prefer to have had that 'live rehearsal demo' version of Tolerate on the 2nd disc, rather than the alternative mix version.
Old 23-01-2019, 16:38
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Preferred the NLY demo on CD2 to be honest. It sounded like a 1st or 2nd take which is more interesting than the other demo's we've been getting where it seems like the songs are born complete. You can hear the song literally coming together in the track warts and all. Usually the band don't let us near their unpolished work and it's nice to be reminded that the band like any other, have to work hard to get a song to to studio ready status. When it's James with his acoustic, due to his natural talent, the songs come off a bit effortless. By that I mean he makes it look easy, which anyone who's ever tried, it bloody well isn't. That said, if there was a third CD with James performing all songs acoustically, I'd have been pissing myself with glee.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 26-01-2019, 00:09
I live to fall asleep

I just watched Truth & Memory but barely paid attention. Apart from the unseen behind the scenes footage which was awesome to see, it was pretty dull overall. The opening text goes on about yeah the quality is gonna be naff, yet when Ready For Drowning was playing from 1997 I was there thinking "Hang on, I've seen better than this!" and sure, it's on there dvd of the millennium gig in better sound and picture, so it's like they just slapped on a VHS recording of it and blew up the picture to appear widescreen. It's fine cos it's free, but feels just half-arsed really after the Bible and EMG and then GT got proper documentaries with new interviews, etc. Oh well, it's still nice to see Bring on a new album. And a new book. And an all powerful movie. And more. More. MORE!
Old 27-01-2019, 13:41
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
And more. More. MORE!
And no doubt you'll be disappointed by all of it.
Old 02-02-2019, 14:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

I wonder if Kieran will do a film for KYE's anniversary and then release that, Truth & Memories and Escape From History as a trilogy on DVD/BR. One can hope.

I still haven't actually seen Escape From History. How different is it to Freed From Memories?
Old 02-02-2019, 17:40
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
I wonder if Kieran will do a film for KYE's anniversary and then release that, Truth & Memories and Escape From History as a trilogy on DVD/BR. One can hope.

I still haven't actually seen Escape From History. How different is it to Freed From Memories?
A KYE one would be brilliant. Still hope that one day Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave gets some sort of release.
Old 03-02-2019, 16:18

I also got thinking about the book size of this reissue, and I wondered if once the reissue series is all over (I honestly don't see too much chance of anything post-SATT getting a deluxe version, especially with the special editions on release), we'll have the first four albums in 12" boxes, the following three in 8" square books, and the remaining albums in the regular book format. The size would make a lot more sense if KYE and Lifeblood were presented in the same manner.

This heading dangerously close to Random Manics Thoughts, I know.
Old 15-02-2019, 18:57
Knowlede Is Power

Just having a listen to this again.

The Manics have always been a strong b-side band but this is another era of belters. Buildings for Dead People is very enjoyable to play on guitar, and Montana is such an underrated track. Immense.
Old 16-02-2019, 16:38
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
I also got thinking about the book size of this reissue, and I wondered if once the reissue series is all over (I honestly don't see too much chance of anything post-SATT getting a deluxe version, especially with the special editions on release), we'll have the first four albums in 12" boxes, the following three in 8" square books, and the remaining albums in the regular book format. The size would make a lot more sense if KYE and Lifeblood were presented in the same manner.

This heading dangerously close to Random Manics Thoughts, I know.
Re-issues are such a big cash cow for the industry facing declining physcial music sales. So on that basis alone, you'd think more re-issues and box sets will be coming down the tracks.

At that point it's all about which albums will withstand multiple re-issues. I'd expect the likes of EMG and maybe THB to get re-issues every 10 years. Then you've got albums like GT, TIMT which might get one every 20 or 25 perhaps. Then the others might get one re-issue in between new music.

I heard that maybe GATS could be on the card somewhere around here maybe, since it's the only 90's album without the fancy re-issue treatment, so I doubt they'd miss that opportunity, but I'd imagine that would be a 30th box set rather than a tour/2CD effort.
Old 17-02-2019, 17:02
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
I heard that maybe GATS could be on the card somewhere around here maybe, since it's the only 90's album without the fancy re-issue treatment, so I doubt they'd miss that opportunity, but I'd imagine that would be a 30th box set rather than a tour/2CD effort.
You just know that when they do finally deluxe GATS they'll soil the bed by reimagining (cough) the tracklist to include "Donkeys" likely in place of "Nostalgic Pushead". (Love "Donkeys" btw just hate this penchant for revisionism).
Old 17-02-2019, 18:10
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Is it wrong I just stop after Roses. Those last three tracks are just uninspired drivel....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 17-02-2019, 18:40
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Is it wrong I just stop after Roses. Those last three tracks are just uninspired drivel....
Nostalgic Pushead makes me laugh. Symphony of Tourette reminds me of a free CD I once heard.
And the last track, always turn off before the singing starts. What a waste of an intro!
Old 17-02-2019, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Re-issues are such a big cash cow for the industry facing declining physcial music sales. So on that basis alone, you'd think more re-issues and box sets will be coming down the tracks.
Yes, indeed. The fact that R.E.M. are doing a Monster deluxe edition this year says it all: at one point, these releases were for 'classic' albums, but now they seem to just be every release by a sellable artist; the fact that the first album by The Bluetones has now had two separate 2CD reissues is maybe the most obvious example.

GATS seems like the obvious one: whilst the band have never softened on it much in terms of public opinion, it's the last '90s album to not receive a deluxe reissue (as mentioned), and also the last Richie album not to, so there's immediate appeal there. One can only hope Sony don't go ahead with it against the band's wishes. It's a weird record for me: I love the pop side of it (mostly the singles), but the darker tracks (the last three in particular) just feel like a weird diversion for the band to take and one I'm glad they haven't bothered with again.

Whether KYE and Lifeblood reissues happen remains to be seen. KYE makes some sense: although it's seen as commercial suicide, it still did well sales-wise and has a few songs which have survived to modern gigs; although I'm sure the band are probably fonder of Lifeblood than they sometimes admit, it's hard to put forward a case for a deluxe edition of the most critically and commercial maligned album in the band's career (especially as they're not doing a chronological release pattern like R.E.M. and other artists). I'm happy with my 4 Real version (the lack of TBTGOG, 4 Ever Delayed and God Save the Manics aside).

But if they do do it, I still think GT - EMG in 12" boxes, TIMTTMY - L in 8" books and everything after in the standard books would be the neatest way to do it. If we get a TIMT-style 3CD bookset for GATS it'll just fuck up every fan's shelf.
Old 18-02-2019, 13:51
Knowlede Is Power

I’m not on Insta, but the FD twitter feed is sharing some pics from there taken by Mitch around the GATS era.

Wonder if something is happening. Still four years from the 30th anniversary so it’s probably nothing.

I am hoping though.
Old 18-02-2019, 16:17
Freed from the century

Four years?!? Dammit I can't wait that long. ..couldnt they do it as a special "Maniac Street Preachers' Bon Jovi Support Reunion Enormodome Edition 93/19" to coincide with the upcoming Stadium gigs? Seems perfectly reasonable.

Could come in a limited double-denim vinyl sleeve for extra ££££.