Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-03-2019, 05:52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
If part of Jo’s poem was included in The Girl Who Wanted to be God then it was quite obviously Richey who included it (I think he was also accused of stealing lines from another fan’s poetry for the lyrics to 4st 7lb and that fan, Becky I believe her name was, wasn’t credited either) so having a go at the band about that is absurd!
I remember Becky, she was featured in that awful documentary about Richey that was made a year or two after he vanished. But wasn't it "Roses in the Hospital"? Or did she steal their title so they nicked a couple of her lines? It was something like that.

Kind of unrelated, but didn't Becky have her own emoji on here at one point?
Old 31-03-2019, 07:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

^ I felt quite sorry for the fans featured in that documentary, it truly was awful. But I’m sure it was 4st 7lb, the lines about ‘that’s the way you’re built my father said, but I can change’.

Edit to add, the poem seems to have vanished from the internet.

What makes any plagiarism/borrowing/inspiration particularly sour is the comments made by Richey (?and Nicky?) in an interview, about receiving ‘awful ‘ fan poems about eating only an apple each day, etc. Fine to take inspiration from many sources, including fans, but give credit where it’s due, and as a minimum, don’t mock those who you are borrowing from!

Last edited by Glass Angel; 31-03-2019 at 08:06.
Old 31-03-2019, 08:01
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I don't know anything about Emojis, but smilies on the other hand:

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 31-03-2019, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I don't know anything about Emojis, but smilies on the other hand:

Emoticon!
Old 31-03-2019, 12:56
Banned

Well, whatever you call it: that's it!
Old 31-03-2019, 15:38

I wonder where she is now.
Old 31-03-2019, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post

Edit to add, the poem seems to have vanished from the internet.
Nothing ever vanishes from the internet!

Roses In The Hospital by Becky Craig

EAT! NO! EAT!
They don’t understand! No-one does
I am trapped here, in a place that’s supposed to make me better!
It’s messing me up even more!
What IS better anyway? Am I to pretend everything is wonderful?

I wanna lie in my bed and clear my mind from the terrifying thoughts that haunt me!
They don’t belong there, NO thoughts do!
Life would be so much better if no-one FELT!
Feeling is only pain!

My one joy is the Manic Street Preachers
They understand! There is hope!
It’s so tough growing up, can’t we stay children for ever?
I see the roses dying in a vase next to my bed
Wilting, too tired to stand straight anymore
They don’t smell pure anymore
The nauseating smell of this ugly building has polluted them
Is nothing safe, even something as beautiful as a rose?
The stench gets into everything, leaving nothing uncontaminated. Nothing pure!

“That’s the way you’re built” my father said
But I can change that
I can waste away till my sharp bones pierce my stretched skin like daggers
and I have no build, NO feelings, NO shape!

NOTHING!

If you have nothing, you have nothing to lose
I am so very frightened but what of? Of feeling?

The HURT!

I can’t stand the pain any longer! I can escape though! I simply put on Motorcycle Emptiness and drift away from here!
Far away somewhere I want to be. Let me out! Help me please!

Last edited by handbag; 31-03-2019 at 16:26.
Old 31-03-2019, 18:28
Knowlede Is Power

^ Which is itself a direct rip-off of / homage to, depending on how you view these things, Tulips by Sylvia Plath.

Also someone mentioned Pete Doherty stealing a couple of lines from a poet. What are the lines in question out of interest, and which poem? He nicked an entire verse of Deep Pile Dreams by Ian Brown on French Dog Blues and got away with it. Also on his new album, there's a song called Someone Else To Be that is essentially Sweet Jane by the Velvet Underground with an entire verse stolen from Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis.

Where do we draw the line between plagiarism or paying homage to an idol or referencing something you appreciate and respect?
Old 31-03-2019, 19:45
Knowlede Is Power

anyone know what happened to becky craig? both of those girls have exceptionally weird heads.
Old 31-03-2019, 19:58
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
Also someone mentioned Pete Doherty stealing a couple of lines from a poet. What are the lines in question out of interest, and which poem?
Stiff With A Quiff by Nick Toczek. The lines, "It's a lousy life for the washed up wife of a permanently plastered, pissed up bastard."

https://diffuser.fm/pete-doherty-set...ealing-lyrics/
Old 31-03-2019, 20:05
I live to fall asleep

MY (VERY SHORT) REVIEW

Read the book over the weekend while traveling.

I'd say about 20% of it was an interesting read. I didn't know the exact timeline of events in 1994/1995 and that was about the only thing I took from the book.

I work in books and writing (yes I am being vague on purpose) and this is a very poor book. It is EXTREMELY padded out. The vast majority of the book is quotations from interviews already in the public domain as well as rather amateur attempts at interpreting lyrics. The chapter that started breaking down the Holy Bible lyrics was atrocious.

Each section seems to return to the point that Richey was interested in this movie or that book in which the protagonist disappeared and committed suicide and so it all makes sense. That is the overall narrative thread. Very poor.

A more interesting book would have been to focus on the last year of the band up to Richey's disappearance. That is the true story of Richey and the Manic Street Preachers. The book suggests the incredible tensions of that time, but, of course, without any actual involvement of anyone that was there, this book can only offer incredibly superficial speculation.

What was the point of this book? It says absolutely nothing new.

Last edited by Europa Gluten Free; 31-03-2019 at 21:48.
Old 31-03-2019, 20:23
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
This is why love this place! At least three maybe four different posters separate from each other basically going "Yeah it's... Ah... Ummmm" but in their own way.
Do you think people who don't even come on this forum anymore will accept the book as gospel?
Old 31-03-2019, 20:53
Builder of routine

I've yet to find a copy in the wild
Old 01-04-2019, 12:42
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4our5ive6ix View Post
Stiff With A Quiff by Nick Toczek. The lines, "It's a lousy life for the washed up wife of a permanently plastered, pissed up bastard."

https://diffuser.fm/pete-doherty-set...ealing-lyrics/

Ah, yeah, that rings a bell now. Thanks for this.
Old 02-04-2019, 21:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
The chapter that started breaking down the Holy Bible lyrics was atrocious.
Each section seems to return to the point that Richey was interested in this movie or that book in which the protagonist disappeared and committed suicide and so it all makes sense. That is the overall narrative thread. Very poor.
The Holy Bible is summed up as 'spiralling disjunctions, scattershot outrage and sheer cryptic messiness'....which isn’t a particularly good description of the album but of the book? They ignore the majority of his work which is odd if this is an attempt to recognise the writer/lyricist/wordsmith. Instead they focus on a handful of songs pretty much exclusively from The Holy Bible and we all know that of course the personal is political? Well, they take this absolutely literally and the songs are all stripped of the political and historical content and of their merit and are turned into hidden rants against the band and against the constraints of the record company and the business as a whole. Man kills everything? The Man who owns the record label, references to dictators and political failures like Pol Pot? All reflect Richey’s obsession with the perfect disappearance (have to say personally I didn’t get the impression he was particularly but maybe it’s just because you feel the urge to resist being shoved around by the author so much) Pol Pot was certainly responsible for a lot of disappearances but I just, fail to make the connection,...

The Intense Humming of Evil that’s riled a few is just random ideas thrown in devoid of context. When you go back to the lyrics it doesn’t seem to be referencing them entirely. Nowhere does it mention the prevalence in the media and on campuses at the time of holocaust denial which really forms the background with historical facts suddenly up for serious debate under the misnomer of free speech...if you’re looking for links link it in with PCP as the ideas that thread through both link together. When words are rinsed of meaning, when every opinion is afforded equal respect, that’s opinion not person, in the name of free speech we risk losing the meaning of everything....6 million lives? Well, maybe (Deborah Lipstadt’s book Holocaust on Trial published the year before the album came out is excellent. If you want more insight read that don’t be looking for how kulturkampf and raus raus were about telling his bandmates where to get off

Where is the exploration of his work, appreciation, critique. His intention which they mention but lose under all this clue seeking was to provoke, to make people think – it’s all he really wanted to achieve, the band was the vehicle for that and absolutely there are some very disturbing lines on the album that tell you about the state his mind was in....but those lie primarily in songs like Die in the Summertime, 4st 7lbs...those aren’t really touched on, in Yes too which is instead reduced to some bizarre part telepathic part conspiracy theory rambling about the evil entertainment industry abusing its young.

I do get an impression of Richey but it’s shadowy and it really feels like his absence has left a space for everyone to write his narrative and they write it through their eyes. He feels strangely absent through a lot of it absent to them too maybe?
There are mentions of Syd Barrett obviously, Ian Curtis, Kurt including the murder conspiracy and Brian Jones ditto....in fact they’ve slotted him quite tightly into a Brian Jones mould I feel someone’s read a few of his biographies whilst writing this which would explain the incessant attempt to make you feel that in the few short few months between the album coming out and his disappearance he was made to feel unwanted by the band and pushed out by the management.....the facts seem to fit more neatly in the case of Brian Jones but not too well here for all that those months did sound like absolute hell

My impression is that his sister, his friends who contribute here, Jo, were not close to the band and Richey didn’t seem inclined to talk about the people he knew with others and that this wasn’t a conscious keeping people separated but just happenstance, friends who met Richey at college were a year older/ahead of the rest of the band for example and Jo was so far on the periphery she wasn’t really part of his life with the band. All accounts and references to the 3 are drawn from press interviews apart from the odd controversial comment like Nicky saying there was a Vivian in Richey’s hotel room that last night. How he would have known is a mystery but it’s all a mystery, how Nicky came to say it is a mystery given how the Rachel camp seem so adamant that the band positively kept them at barge pole length.

It’s petty at times ‘it must have been frustrating for them (the band) to abandon some of their more familiar habits to accommodate somebody who was in recovery’ said his sister commenting on the difficult autumn tour when Nicky just wanted to go home and James drank it all out but knew he couldn’t drink on the bus in front of Richey and hostile at others. His sister doesn’t believe Richey did ever hand the Bugs Bunny folder of writings that went on to form Journal for Plague Lovers over to the band (It was at his flat when he disappeared it states and they asked Rachel if she would fetch it for them which she did without looking at it at all and clearly now regrets)

The band’s respect for the family’s privacy is acknowledged but it’s a backhanded compliment as she believes it’s an excuse for them to do nothing to actively help search for him. It gets petty on the part of one of his friends regarding what the band have said, petty and childish in its assumption that the band's hurt is somehow less than theirs as if there’s a rulebook.

And jealous? I feel that’s underlying a lot of it. The band were close but they were also around him nearly all the time over those last few years and I don’t get the impression the others quite had him that close which must hurt even if it makes no sense. And there isn’t one instance of Richey actually saying anything negative about the 3 friends in the band it’s only implied and deduced by the writers while he hangs back off the page

One person who does give you a real sense of the man though is Rosie Dunn a journalist who was in the Priory at the same time and formed a friendship that lasted on until he disappeared...skim to her parts she makes you feel he’s there in the room in a way the rest of the book’s accounts don’t. She’s observant and tactful too brings across his kindness, his intelligence, his humour too even in that place. Yes she should have been entrusted with the book

All that said, and I know I’ve broken the word count record, the final chapter Rachel’s Search is worth everyone’s time and why, as frustrating as the book is, as ill put together and lacking in reflection, jumping from one philosopher to another, one author to the next and all reduced to just explaining his disappearance as if his vanishing was his life’s work it’s impossible to judge her because she has put in hours, weeks, months, years trying to find just a trace of him and she has come up against one brick wall after another. The initial investigation possibly helped put pay to his family ever learning the truth. They failed for example to authorise a search by the coastguard and Severn Area Rescue Association following the discovery of his car despite being aware he was very vulnerable. Failed not just to view the bridge CCTV but to even check if the service station and car park had any. The stories she learnt about the experiences of others who had family members go missing are harrowing and can only have lodged themselves in her mind regarding Richey and his possible fate. I can’t judge her. Who am I to judge her?? I just wish she’d put her project, put her brother in the hands of a more capable writer/journalist/reporter
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

Last edited by raven; 03-04-2019 at 00:22.