Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-07-2014, 21:34
I live to fall asleep

My brother is a huge fan, my parents know a lot of stuff from over the years and obviously like the glory years stuff like Everlasting, Tolerate, Sun, etc. My girlfriend only likes a few songs but I will convert her one day, I am always trying.
Old 21-07-2014, 21:39
Freed from the century

Don't think my family honestly cares. I think my mom would like some aspects of them as would my dad but the sight of Nicky would probably scare my dad. My brother has apparently listened to him on his own but 'they're not his thing.' Whatever.

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 21-07-2014, 23:02
I am purity, they call me perverted

husband knows only 2 Manics songs, he's not interested at all, Just as I don't care for his Type of music.
Old 22-07-2014, 07:12
Under neon loneliness

Husband - was a fan before me and is still a pretty big fan
Mum and Dad - like most of their stuff, occasionally express concern about Richey's family and friends.
Sisters - One of them has a few albums, the other went to a gig once. One of them is signed up here.
Brother - Has zero interest in music, can't understand why anyone would see a band once, let alone twice, but happily watches the same football team kick a ball round a field every couple of weeks. Bets like a lunatic. All in all probably has a lot more in common with Nicky than I do
Nephews and nieces - I've got eight over the age of 13, only two of them have any really interest in music, and they're both more into rap and r&b than rock. They see the Manics as old music, but the nephew said nice things about Journal once when he was visiting us and we played it on repeat for five hours
Old 22-07-2014, 07:53
Knowlede Is Power

My brother is a huge fan. My mom and dad were kind of casual fans in the EMG / TIMT era, and i think they quite enjoyed PFAYM aswell. My dads reaction on first hearing YLAINE was awsome though,

"Its great, but are they singing with a woman, or has that weird bass player finaly gone all the way?"
Old 22-07-2014, 08:41
Winterlover

My brother has been to a few Manics gigs with me, has most of the albums I think.

My parents like them in a casual fan sort of way, I did hear Mam singing along to WMTTB on the radio the other day!
Old 22-07-2014, 09:21
Winterlover

My parents don't care about the music I listen to.

My two sisters absolutely despise the band because I'm pretty much obsessed with the Manics (my eldest sister used to remind me how I used to think the Manics were crap and that she liked them before me in the TIMT era...)

Also, she's being an annoying bitch at every opportunity along with her mates by inserting the word "MSP" into everything. For example, the twat changed my router password to something with MSP in it and that's before I get into the Twitter spam I used to get before I had to block all of them!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ

Last edited by FacelessSenseOfVoid; 22-07-2014 at 09:45.
Old 22-07-2014, 10:02
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
"Its great, but are they singing with a woman, or has that weird bass player finaly gone all the way?"
lol
Old 22-07-2014, 10:22
Winterlover

They really like them. Dad thinks they're interesting and a cracking live act, mum loves Faster, Sleepflower, and Motorcycle Emptiness.
Old 22-07-2014, 22:16
Freed from the century

My husband likes GT, GATS, THB, JFPL but doesn't like their other stuff. He enjoys going to the gigs, but I think he is a bit bored of them now (we've been to so many over the years so thats fair enough).

When we met James and Nicky he got really star struck with Nicky for some reason (closet Nicky fan methinks!)
Old 22-07-2014, 23:05
I live to fall asleep

Husband likes them. He's not an huge fan but he really likes some songs. Well most of his favourites are the least ones in my list but better than nothing. My father has never cared about the music I listen to. And I see him only two times a year. My sister doesn't know enough about them. My brother doesn't like them but he once said me that Lifeblood was a pretty decent album.
However at least my daughter truly loves them
Old 22-07-2014, 23:23
Born to end

I was actually just discussing with my brother a few days ago whether my dad would like Futurology as a birthday gift. We concluded that he probably doesn't give a flying fuck about the Manics, and probably doesn't know anything about them besides that I like them and naturally infers from that that they must be weird.
That said, I wound up giving him a Tame Impala CD instead, and his reaction was "So this is some sort of death metal?" lol

My mother is about the same.

My brother similarly does not care and could not name a single song (despite working in radio). He seems to have retained slightly more knowledge than my parents, from my constant babbling about them over the years, but he mostly just seems to find Richey's disappearance hilarious and listens for things he can make jokes about.
He did give me Rewind The Film for my last birthday though!

My enthusiasm for anything tends to automatically give that thing negative points with my family, just because I'm "the weird one", so I don't really try to turn them on to anything anymore.
Old 23-07-2014, 04:41
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
My mother had positive reactions to a few random songs.
My father doesn't seem to care much.
My eldest sister too, but rock music isn't her style anyway.
My second sister, I actually dunno, to be honest.
My brother and youngest (but still older than I) sister like them, but aren't exactly fans, they just like their songs and they respect them as a historically important band, and have basic knowledge about their biography. They do take interest into them every now and then. My brother said he follows them on Twitter as well.
Old 23-07-2014, 08:07
Winterlover

My mum was into them from GT and got me into them in the first place. Unfortunately I became a teenybopper fanboy after THB and thus she cannot stand listening to them any more.... but she will gladly recall tales of seeing the wild early gigs back in the day...
My dad was never mad keen but got into them probably by sheer force of me listening to them so constantly and even came along to a few gigs in the 00's. Still likes "the classics" as far as I know and does check out the albums when they come out.
My sister hates anything decent anyway, so no chance there
Old 23-07-2014, 08:25
Desire on its knees

wife has a hate/tolerate relationship with them (roughly 80:20 ratio) - her brother played ME a lot growing up and she grew to hate them, she still curses the fact she married a fan - but we've been to see them a few times together now, she can't avoid them on drives or in the house; gets a little weary of overplay, especially around new albums, but (mostly) doesn't protest too much. says she's always liked Little Baby Nothing and even gives it a little whoop if they play it when we see them.

baby isn't too fussed by them, but did settle to Anthem For A Lost Cause a few times when she was little little.