Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-09-2009, 15:25
Winterlover

Oh yeah, absolutely guys! Wasn't a complaint at all, merely an observation. As I said, I'm totally enjoying reading everyone's POV - fascinating stuff! I just think Richey state of mind at the time should be addressed when debating the true meaning behind the lyrics.

Maggie, to my knowledge he never specifically said anything about the death penaltiy per say, but he did make some telling remarks that would suggest he was somewhat in favour of it.

Tzb, my bad! You're right - that synopsis was done in 94 but it was still made by Nicky and not the writer himself.
Old 23-09-2009, 16:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Only to you. You crouch to lift them up, you carry them, take their burden. The entire album is in defence of the weak, the powerless.
I think there's two things about that line that make me interpret it in that way; the use of personal pronouns i.e. *We* crouch, to make *them* strong. Not so that we're stronger as a society. And secondly, it's the word 'crouch' - i.e. make ourselves lower than we should be, don't stand up tall as we could do if they weren't there. If the line had just been about people carrying the weak and this being a good thing, I don't think you'd pick the word 'crouch' with its connotations.

But I'm not claiming my interpretation of that line is the 'correct one' - I might well be utterly wrong. Perhaps you should refrain from using phrases like 'Only to you', at least until you've asked everyone who's ever heard the song as that's the only point at which you can make that claim.
Old 23-09-2009, 18:10
Under neon loneliness

The crucial part of that line for me is right now we crouch, ie we lower ourselves to speak the language of killers to exact an eye for an eye. Right now has no meaning in a "the weak have been lowering us, so let's kill them" context that I can see. And yeah, the other interpretation of that line I've thought before is much what Raven said - the weak die young, so we make them strong, we crouch to raise them, to support them, we take a position of strength against the strong who would make them victims.

And why get pissy that she said only you? Only you have expressed this view and as yet no-one's agreed with you. That doesn't make it less valid but it's true, you're the only one who seems to see this "kill everyone, we're all rapists" meaning in the song. Lighten up

Last edited by tzb; 23-09-2009 at 18:15.
Old 25-08-2014, 11:58
Born to end

This is certainly an interesting set of lyrics. I generally agree that it's not exactly important whether the song supports a left-wing or right-wing stance on the death penalty, but rather the efficacy of the song lies in its unique exploration of the duality of human nature in pertinence to the issue.