Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-07-2022, 11:09
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Welcome back Donkey! Hope things cool. Don't suppose you've heard their last album at all?
I hope they all come back. The KYE box pulsing it's heartbeat of colours.
Thanks. ;-)

No, I really don't want to risk it anymore after Cmmon Wales and the album from the year 2018.

Btw. Lifeblood reissue would be great if it contained some raw band demos, for example faster version of Empty Souls. But I doubt they have such demos for the songs. I remember how they "played the new songs as a band together again" when they recorded SATT.
Old 27-07-2022, 11:58
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Oops, thanks for that, I'll correct it. JFPL!
Haha now im almost disapointed that wasnt your actual opinion!
Old 27-07-2022, 12:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
hopefully if the "remixed, refocussed, reclaimed" approach to the entire KYE era works for Nicky, he'll attempt to do the same for Lifeblood eventually.
Ooh I hope not. It's perfect as it is. CD1: album + demos.
CD2:
1. There by the Grace of God
2. Automatik Teknicolour
3. It's All Gone
4. Unstoppable Salvation
5. Happy Ending
6. 4Ever Delayed
7. Motorcycle Emptiness (2003 Theremin Version) - go on, you know you want it
8. Everyone Knows / Nobody Cares
9. Everything Will Be
10. Askew Road
11. Quarantine
12. Voodoo Polaroids
13. All Alone Here
14. No Jubilees
15. Litany
16. Dying Breeds
17. Failure Bound
18. The Soulmates
19. Antarctic
20. A Secret Society
21. Firefight
22. Picturesque

Nice remastering job on the second disc to make some of those b-sides sound a touch less flimsy and job's a goodun.
Old 27-07-2022, 16:31
I live to fall asleep

Oh my, I forgot all about Failure Bound haha, me and my girlfriend at the time used to laugh about that track when I bought the DVD single and used to put it on for a giggle.
Old 27-07-2022, 16:46
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
It's the superior version in my eyes. Best studio version of it, no question.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 27-07-2022, 18:08
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
Ooh I hope not. It's perfect as it is. CD1: album + demos.
CD2:
1. There by the Grace of God
2. Automatik Teknicolour
3. It's All Gone
4. Unstoppable Salvation
5. Happy Ending
6. 4Ever Delayed
8. Everyone Knows / Nobody Cares
9. Everything Will Be
10. Askew Road
11. Quarantine
12. Voodoo Polaroids
13. All Alone Here
14. No Jubilees
15. Litany
16. Dying Breeds
17. Failure Bound
18. The Soulmates
19. Antarctic
20. A Secret Society
21. Firefight
22. Picturesque

Nice remastering job on the second disc to make some of those b-sides sound a touch less flimsy and job's a goodun.
All it now needs is "The Instrumental" somewhere (which always felt like the official end of the period for me, even if released after "Leviathan" technically) and a third CD with the Maida Vale sessions, the live version of Everything Will Be and the two actually really good remixes for TBTGOG, and it'd be the perfect anniversary set.
Old 27-07-2022, 20:32
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
All it now needs is "The Instrumental" somewhere (which always felt like the official end of the period for me, even if released after "Leviathan" technically) and a third CD with the Maida Vale sessions, the live version of Everything Will Be and the two actually really good remixes for TBTGOG, and it'd be the perfect anniversary set.
There are a few more curios from Lifeblood that would be good to hear : High quality version of the demos used in the Patrick Jones videos, the Dave Eringa rejected mix of TBTGOG (too rock apparently), the original 'ghost town' version of Everything Will Be (they introduced it at IoW as a new single so I assume it was atleast demo'ed in that form).

Would also be good to know if the original 'Cities Album' ever got into a demo or recording stage, other than Cardiff Afterlife.
Old 27-07-2022, 21:04
Knowlede Is Power

Also the Mike Hedges version of TBTGOG with strings.
Old 28-07-2022, 01:28
I am purity, they call me perverted

All this talk of Lifeblood era alt versions is making me salivate.

Also, is there a more sublime piece of music than the Saint Etienne remix of There By The Grace Of God by the Manic Street Preachers? One does not dare hope such a thing exists, but it does. And it's every bit as good as it ought to be.
Old 28-07-2022, 12:05
A self-made vacuum

Hey, is it me, or do the slide/warbly/whammy bar guitar parts make 'Rosebud' sound like it was recorded for Ultra Vivid Lament or Even in Exile? I mean, JDB could've recorded these as part of the remixing process for the reissue. That's not a far fetch, is it?

EDIT: Based on what I've read so far, I'm also kinda glad 'Rosebud' and the whole reissue thing rejoiced Manics' fans on the web and finally there's some clear excitement and nostalgia concerning the band!

Last edited by Bartek Wyre; 28-07-2022 at 12:08.
Old 28-07-2022, 13:27
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartek Wyre View Post
Hey, is it me, or do the slide/warbly/whammy bar guitar parts make 'Rosebud' sound like it was recorded for Ultra Vivid Lament or Even in Exile? I mean, JDB could've recorded these as part of the remixing process for the reissue. That's not a far fetch, is it?

EDIT: Based on what I've read so far, I'm also kinda glad 'Rosebud' and the whole reissue thing rejoiced Manics' fans on the web and finally there's some clear excitement and nostalgia concerning the band!
I strongly suspect that's the case. Tbh, I think almost all of Rosebud is a rework - the vocals are obviously of-era and the drums might be, but the bass, guitars, guitar effects, ambience, and overall production all sound far nearer to modern JDB/Eringa than KYE. The final chorus dropping all but guitar and vocals for extra emphasis sounds super-anachronistic, too - that's a relatively modern production technique, and I can't think of another example of the Manics using anything like it until 2014's In Eternity.

I'm really hoping that's all the case, and if it is, that Rosebud might be a hint of what KYE22 might entail. KYE's a fucking terrible album, but if this is a magic they've woven through the whole thing, it could be amazing.
Old 28-07-2022, 13:43
A self-made vacuum

... oooooor that wobbly guitar could be Kevin Shields! :O
Old 28-07-2022, 13:56
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
The final chorus dropping all but guitar and vocals for extra emphasis sounds super-anachronistic, too - that's a relatively modern production technique, and I can't think of another example of the Manics using anything like it until 2014's In Eternity.
I also suspect it was reworked a bit (just as Judge Yrself was) but to be fair that same trick was used after the first chorus in Masses Against the Classes wasn't it ?
Old 29-07-2022, 05:31
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
the original 'ghost town' version of Everything Will Be (they introduced it at IoW as a new single so I assume it was atleast demo'ed in that form).
Did they? I remeber them playing EWB at Glasto 2003 with James introducing it as a new song, which might get the name Everything Will Be. 2004 IoW only had Empty Souls (the best rendition ever) and Solitude Sometimes Is (probably the best version too, but sadly not well documented). Did I miss something at that time?
Old 29-07-2022, 09:09
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Did they? I remeber them playing EWB at Glasto 2003 with James introducing it as a new song, which might get the name Everything Will Be. 2004 IoW only had Empty Souls (the best rendition ever) and Solitude Sometimes Is (probably the best version too, but sadly not well documented). Did I miss something at that time?
Always with the caveat that I wouldn't put too much faith in my memory . Before the BBC went to the live footage they were interviewed (I want to say by Jo Whiley?) and mentioned Everything Will Be as a potential single that was inspired by Ghost Town. That could easily be a fabrication of my mind though so don't hold me to it!