Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-10-2021, 22:27
Knowlede Is Power

I love it to bits. This is top tier manics in my opinion. Every time i listen somthing new is popping out at me. Best album since JFPL, possibly since TIMTTMY
Old 13-10-2021, 11:32
I am purity, they call me perverted

I don't think I've listened to it in a fortnight. No desire to put it on at all.
Old 13-10-2021, 13:09
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
As much as i think resistance is lower tier manics the trilogy of music videos they made (international blue, disant colours, hold me like a heaven) are superb and it just shows that when they put a bit of effort in we do get something glorious and not just 'band plays in a room'. But making a short film is bloody hard work and costly and time consuming.
Which is you hire someone whose full time job is making short and long form videos.

Recently, I've been getting into Sparks who have a 40-50 year history of interesting music videos. I don't think any of them are particularly bank busting either except possibly for a few animated ones. I think it has helped that the band obviously more than a slight interest in their visual representation. It also helps that band have very visual lyrics that can be very easily transposed into a video form. Lastly, Sparks don't have any reservations about looking silly which gives a director more creative freedom.

Here's an example which could be criticised as being a over produced lyric video but at least you can tell someone had an idea and went for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC0rzv1j8Zc

The reason why I'm stating the above is that the reasons why we don't get interesting videos are a lack of ambition and laziness about what can be done with the art form. It's also to say that the band are also partly responsible for the poor output as they haven't take an interest in the process. Kieren Evans and the Manics started their collaboration with Show Me the Wonder which is a fantastic music video, sadly it's been downhill since then and it's not purely due to a lack of cash...

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 13-10-2021 at 13:15.
Old 13-10-2021, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
I don't think I've listened to it in a fortnight. No desire to put it on at all.
Shame. I love it
Old 13-10-2021, 19:14

It's not even that I think it's a bad album, it's obviously leagues ahead of half-arsed Manics (SATT, PFAYM), but it's just not sticking for me at all, I'm finding so little to grab on to. Also doesn't help that I have a stack of about 15 other albums I've bought this year that I absolutely adore, meaning everything else has just been sidelined for a while now. I'm hoping it'll be a grower, RIF took a year or so to rise beyond mid-tier for me and now I love it. Just not going to force it.
Old 13-10-2021, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
It's not even that I think it's a bad album, it's obviously leagues ahead of half-arsed Manics (SATT, PFAYM), but it's just not sticking for me at all, I'm finding so little to grab on to. Also doesn't help that I have a stack of about 15 other albums I've bought this year that I absolutely adore, meaning everything else has just been sidelined for a while now. I'm hoping it'll be a grower, RIF took a year or so to rise beyond mid-tier for me and now I love it. Just not going to force it.
I kinda feel the same.

For me, it has little heft or weight - it's just too poppy and lightweight.
And only part of it is the production, but the production is certainly overbearing.

They've been in a bit of an "over-produced" rut, and need to strip things down and get back to basics.
Old 14-10-2021, 00:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Which is you hire someone whose full time job is making short and long form videos.

Recently, I've been getting into Sparks who have a 40-50 year history of interesting music videos. I don't think any of them are particularly bank busting either except possibly for a few animated ones. I think it has helped that the band obviously more than a slight interest in their visual representation. It also helps that band have very visual lyrics that can be very easily transposed into a video form. Lastly, Sparks don't have any reservations about looking silly which gives a director more creative freedom.

Here's an example which could be criticised as being a over produced lyric video but at least you can tell someone had an idea and went for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC0rzv1j8Zc

The reason why I'm stating the above is that the reasons why we don't get interesting videos are a lack of ambition and laziness about what can be done with the art form. It's also to say that the band are also partly responsible for the poor output as they haven't take an interest in the process. Kieren Evans and the Manics started their collaboration with Show Me the Wonder which is a fantastic music video, sadly it's been downhill since then and it's not purely due to a lack of cash...
The manics though seem to like their well produced short films and you have to wonder how much the record company is willing to punt on those considering the band are no long prime time, especially now in our plague years. I agree though that a lyric video can be visually exciting like that sparks vid or the weirdness that yello seem to make which again doesn't look massively expensive given what modest software can do. I think that's too much whimsy for the likes of the manics though and i like it when they have a bit of fun as showcased in the love of richard nixon or show me the wonder but i still love that resistance trilogy - widescreen manics in international blue.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 14-10-2021, 06:44

Well I hope we soon see the end of the 'young attractive woman nervously walking/running as if the camera person has been stalking them for the last month' trope.

Old 14-10-2021, 09:04
I live to fall asleep

I've given up any hope of seeing a Manics music video worthy of more than a single watch. I quite liked The Secret... because it the band playing and there were some nice shots and the female lead was singing along most of the time, not just moping about aimlessly. But the 'lyric' videos are a bore unless you want to use them for karaoke. I think the last one I thought looked good and had 'budget' was Walk me to the Bridge. They should get film students to do something for them as part of their uni course or something, probably wouldn't cost the band / record company much, if anything, and it'd be great exposure for the students. Anyway, I await the next dull lyric / live bits that Evans will no doubt shoot for the next 'single.'
Old 14-10-2021, 09:29

At Bath last night, James gave a shout out to Evans who supposedly was filming during Snowing in Sapporo. So I would guess that's the next single. (Or he could be filming for a full complicated Illusions video come to think of it)

Old 14-10-2021, 11:25
I live to fall asleep

Has anyone had the polaroid/t shirt combo Nicky conned us into a couple of weeks ago? Or is it probably going to be a post-tour thing?
Old 14-10-2021, 11:27

Got the t-shirt last week, but I think they mentioned November for thenpoloroid if I remember correctly.

Old 14-10-2021, 11:28
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Got the t-shirt last week, but I think they mentioned November for thenpoloroid if I remember correctly.
Ta
Old 14-10-2021, 11:28
Builder of routine

Polaroid? T-shirt?
Old 14-10-2021, 12:18

It happened on the last day of the drive to get TUVL to no.1, they offered a signed poloroid and t-shirt package. They could still be available on the official store