Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 04-04-2021, 11:19
Knowlede Is Power

Ant more news about this? I really hope they put it back as I don't feel comfortable. As such done nowt about booking a hotel etc
Old 04-04-2021, 16:52
Bored of being bored

Wales seems to be easing restrictions slower than is planned for England - this site says that from May 17 indoor activities can resume limited to 15 people, whereas in England that's when concert halls of 1000 capacity should reopen. I think if the gig were in England it would have a good chance of going ahead in July but as it's in Cardiff I wouldn't be surprised if it's postponed again. Perhaps it'll be pushed back to December again?
Old 06-04-2021, 16:21
Doors slowly closing

The new gig is a month after ALL social measures are meant to be lifted (in England at least).

I reckon it’ll happen
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 06-04-2021, 18:47
I am purity, they call me perverted

I have a friend working for an NHS Trust who already have plans in place for a possible lockdown in July, so while that's obviously the worst case scenario, I think it's fair to say the government's roadmap is very much the most optimistic outcome imaginable, and I'd advise hedging one's bets when it comes to everything going back to normal by then.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:07
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
I have a friend working for an NHS Trust who already have plans in place for a possible lockdown in July, so while that's obviously the worst case scenario, I think it's fair to say the government's roadmap is very much the most optimistic outcome imaginable, and I'd advise hedging one's bets when it comes to everything going back to normal by then.
That's interesting - can I ask where your friend's trust is? Where I work I'm able to attend some quite high level NHS briefings and I've definitely seen no indication of plans for a potential July lockdown, so I'm guessing it's just something your friend's trust is doing locally based on their own numbers. I can't imagine we'll go into lockdown in July unless we get a huge upswing in hospitalisations across the country - not impossible but unlikely given what we saw last summer. That's not to say I think the gig will definitely go ahead, there absolutely may be bumps along the roadmap and we can't be certain how things will look in summer, but I definitely expect it to be a lot more open than now!
Old 07-04-2021, 15:30
Builder of routine

I'm not so sure it will be happening as social distancing will still be in place won't it ? People are a lot closer together at standing gigs. No one is going to be standing quietly listening will they? Lots of jumping around colliding into people. Especially on a Friday/Saturday night after a few drinks.
Old 07-04-2021, 16:34
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I'm not so sure it will be happening as social distancing will still be in place won't it ? People are a lot closer together at standing gigs. No one is going to be standing quietly listening will they? Lots of jumping around colliding into people. Especially on a Friday/Saturday night after a few drinks.
Lots of jumping around colliding people? Been a while since I've been at a Manics gig where more than a dozen people were jumping about... and everyone's going to be another couple of years older since the last one!
Old 07-04-2021, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflower View Post
That's interesting - can I ask where your friend's trust is? Where I work I'm able to attend some quite high level NHS briefings and I've definitely seen no indication of plans for a potential July lockdown, so I'm guessing it's just something your friend's trust is doing locally based on their own numbers. I can't imagine we'll go into lockdown in July unless we get a huge upswing in hospitalisations across the country - not impossible but unlikely given what we saw last summer. That's not to say I think the gig will definitely go ahead, there absolutely may be bumps along the roadmap and we can't be certain how things will look in summer, but I definitely expect it to be a lot more open than now!
He's in Norfolk. And yeah, it's definitely a worst case scenario thing they're coming up with for whatever reason. I just mentioned it because I think there are some people who are expecting the full opening in June will be the end of it, but I have a feeling we're a long way from complete normality still.
Old 07-04-2021, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
It's incredibly optimistic - the vaccine that's been rolled out in the UK is not at all effective against the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant. Unless boarders are kept closed (seems unlikely), and even if they are, I do wonder how long it will be until it takes hold here.
Old 07-04-2021, 19:31
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Lots of jumping around colliding people? Been a while since I've been at a Manics gig where more than a dozen people were jumping about... and everyone's going to be another couple of years older since the last one!
Those 12 could still transmit the virus tho And even if they don't you stand much closer together at standing venues ... especially down the front
Old 09-04-2021, 09:56
Bored of being bored

Wales is easing restrictions a little earlier than planned - perhaps some hope for this gig?

I have to say that for me personally, I'm more than ready to be back in a gig crowd again, virus be damned. Cases are falling, and more and more people are getting the jab, so I'm ready to take the risk. There'll never be zero COVID so we'll have to take the plunge some time, and the sooner we can get the live music industry back on its feet the better.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:54
Doors slowly closing

In anticipation of these being delayed again I compiled a post-lockdown MSP set list of songs that NHS staff might know along with lyrical reasons for inclusion.

Everything Must Go
~“freed us eventually”

Autumnsong
~”what have you done to your hair?”

Australia
~”I want to fly and run until it hurts”

International Blue
~”I saw that colour through a clear wide window”

You Stole the Sun From My Heart
~”drinking water to stay thin”

Motorcycle Emptiness
~it’s Motorcycle Emptiness, it doesn’t need a reason

From Despair to Where
~”outside open-mouthed crowds pass each other”

Ocean Spray
~“it’s easy to breathe”

Indian Summer
~”I guess we’ll have to test ourselves until there’s nothing left”

Your Love Alone is Not Enough
~“when times get tough they get tough, they get tough, they get tough”

Hold Me Like a Heaven
~“I walk between the dividing lines, I dance around the exit signs”

Revol
~it’s what Richey would have wanted

No Surface All Feeling
~”it may have worked but at what price?“

Some Kind of Nothingness
~“never stop”

Show Me the Wonder
~”is heaven a place where nothing ever happens?”

The Masses Against the Classes
~“can you feel like it was before?”

There By The Grace of God
~“with grace we shall recover”

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
-see Motorcycle Emptiness

——
JDB’s acoustic slot:

Let Robeson Sing
~other shit went down while they were away

It Ain’t over ‘Til It’s Over (Lenny Kravitz)
~at first I thought Hazleton Avenue might have some apt lyrics but nobody knows that and the song they ripped off works even better

——

People Give In
~”people stay strong”

The Everlasting
~”so don’t forget or don’t pretend it’s all the same now in the end”

4ever Delayed
~”will you all come follow me to a place where we are free?”

You Love Us
~see If You Tolerate This

A Design For Life
~see You Love Us
Old 10-04-2021, 09:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Social distancing ends in June (in England, according to current schedule)

Get vaccinated and enjoy it.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 11-04-2021, 18:32

I've had my first jab and will have the second in May... and I'd still rather they postponed this if I'm being honest. I kind of want to see how things go once everything opens up.
Old 14-04-2021, 20:46

I had two other gigs the same week as this in Bristol, both outdoors, and they've just been moved back a year...