Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-02-2020, 00:06
chieftan mews chieftan mews is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brighton
Age: 31
Posts: 149
New episode out today, if you fancy it! Much more Manics chat in this one
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-02-2020, 12:40
Suicide Aldi's Avatar
Suicide Aldi Suicide Aldi is offline
Desire on its knees
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 900
Really enjoyed it! That Springsteen joke was awful though.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-02-2020, 13:44
taxexile taxexile is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, SW20
Posts: 169
I got to 25 mins and gave up, it's not for me.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-02-2020, 22:33
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,368
Now this was more like it. I really enjoyed it (Ep2, GT (pt1)) and am hoping this continues on in a similar vein for all the albums. I do think the first episode benefited this one a lot for setting the tone and acting as an introduction. I even enjoyed the Springsteen gag!
Looking forward to the next episode already.
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| PorcoTunes: soundcloud.com/fdporco |Newest Track *'A Landscape of Melting Pocket Watches'*(YT)
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-02-2020, 10:50
chieftan mews chieftan mews is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brighton
Age: 31
Posts: 149
Thanks for kind words! This episode is definitely the tone that continues.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-02-2020, 12:14
Symmanine's Avatar
Symmanine Symmanine is offline
A self-made vacuum
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Denmark
Age: 36
Posts: 2,478
I really enjoy it! I think it's a shame though, if you totally ignore all non-album tracks. Some b-sides are far better than the album tracks of the eras - and then there's Suicide Is Painless ect. which is an essential part of the Manics canon. yeahyeahyeah

Anyway - good job lads!
__________________
I'm perpetually stuck in a sepia film
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-02-2020, 14:39
chieftan mews chieftan mews is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brighton
Age: 31
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmanine View Post
I really enjoy it! I think it's a shame though, if you totally ignore all non-album tracks. Some b-sides are far better than the album tracks of the eras - and then there's Suicide Is Painless ect. which is an essential part of the Manics canon. yeahyeahyeah

Anyway - good job lads!
Thank you very much! We will get to b-sides eventually if there is a demand for it, and Suicide is Painless is covered in the next episode!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 13-02-2020, 17:23
Symmanine's Avatar
Symmanine Symmanine is offline
A self-made vacuum
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Denmark
Age: 36
Posts: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftan mews View Post
Thank you very much! We will get to b-sides eventually if there is a demand for it, and Suicide is Painless is covered in the next episode!
For a start you dedicate an episode to cover Lipstick Traces?
__________________
I'm perpetually stuck in a sepia film
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 13-02-2020, 23:42
chieftan mews chieftan mews is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brighton
Age: 31
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmanine View Post
For a start you dedicate an episode to cover Lipstick Traces?
Aye, that's definitely happening.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 16-02-2020, 19:32
Tim's Avatar
Tim Tim is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ...my fathers can have it.
Posts: 5,456
I've listened to these with a mix of pleasant surprise, alarm and outright horror (not necessarily in equal measure) so i felt i had some things to say.

Firstly, it's nice to see that manics fandom isn't so dead that there aren't still people out there inspired to make stuff like this and the recent essays book on the lyrics of the holy bible (triptych) and i am enjoying the discussion for the most part so i say keep it up. With that said, i'm trying not to be critical for the sake of it because it's nice to see things like this being made about them.

As a fan, when you feel like you know the manics so well it's very easy to lose sight of the fact that those who don't know about them really don't! The lack of general knowledge about them from the other two is quite surprising like the common misconception that they only sing about suicide. Then again, that might be true of most bands you're not personally invested in and to be fair, in a roundabout way they were approaching the true genius of the manics in that they are a band with 'music full of hope and lyrics full of doubt'. Kudos to you for getting them involved but how did you manage that when they've been dismissed as dad rock in the past? I mean, i personally can't imagine having the motivation for talking about muse for many hours at a time. Having said that, i was pleasantly surprised that generation terrorists hasn't so far been completely ripped to shreds and i do agree with a lot of the criticisms but i also agree with the host that it's a charming mess. It's really about a new band getting a boatload of cash and a swanky recording studio and bolting out of the gate with a statement of intent.

Now... what's all this hatred of the new art riot ep? It's bloody great! I'm sure this has come up before on here and it's something i agreed with at the time - if generation terrorists sounded more like the spikey, rough-edged new art riot ep then it would have been far better for it. Your honour, for my defence i would like to include into evidence the live version of strip it down found on the you love us (heavenly) single and lipstick traces. In relation to that, i would also support chat of notable b-sides considering many of them are superb but i heard mention of comfort comes and that is one that definitely needs to be covered, being as it is the missing link between gold against the soul and the holy bible and a fantastic track to boot.

The one thing i had a major issue with is the question of what exactly richey and nicky did in the band if they couldn't play, to paraphrase - 'how did they become a band?' and 'richey was like the mascot' and compared to bez of all people. Say wha... richey and nicky were the suicide twins! The culture sluts! The propaganda wing of the manic street preachers! Giving great copy and running rings around music journalists unfortunate enough to fall into their orbit, all the while looking amazing. That's why the manics had such perfect balance i think, james and sean the accomplished musicians, richey and nicky the androgynous glamour twins writing the words. I just expected our gracious host to chip in here and give a spirited defence of what those two brought to the manics that made them stand out from 'generic white band'.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to you all diving into the later stuff and what the others reactions are going to be to the less accessible material and what on earth they're going to make of it.
__________________
Please, he prayed, now -
A gray disk, the colour of Chiba sky.
Now -
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 16-02-2020 at 19:35.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 16-02-2020, 20:28
chieftan mews chieftan mews is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brighton
Age: 31
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I've listened to these with a mix of pleasant surprise, alarm and outright horror (not necessarily in equal measure) so i felt i had some things to say.

Firstly, it's nice to see that manics fandom isn't so dead that there aren't still people out there inspired to make stuff like this and the recent essays book on the lyrics of the holy bible (triptych) and i am enjoying the discussion for the most part so i say keep it up. With that said, i'm trying not to be critical for the sake of it because it's nice to see things like this being made about them.

As a fan, when you feel like you know the manics so well it's very easy to lose sight of the fact that those who don't know about them really don't! The lack of general knowledge about them from the other two is quite surprising like the common misconception that they only sing about suicide. Then again, that might be true of most bands you're not personally invested in and to be fair, in a roundabout way they were approaching the true genius of the manics in that they are a band with 'music full of hope and lyrics full of doubt'. Kudos to you for getting them involved but how did you manage that when they've been dismissed as dad rock in the past? I mean, i personally can't imagine having the motivation for talking about muse for many hours at a time. Having said that, i was pleasantly surprised that generation terrorists hasn't so far been completely ripped to shreds and i do agree with a lot of the criticisms but i also agree with the host that it's a charming mess. It's really about a new band getting a boatload of cash and a swanky recording studio and bolting out of the gate with a statement of intent.

Now... what's all this hatred of the new art riot ep? It's bloody great! I'm sure this has come up before on here and it's something i agreed with at the time - if generation terrorists sounded more like the spikey, rough-edged new art riot ep then it would have been far better for it. Your honour, for my defence i would like to include into evidence the live version of strip it down found on the you love us (heavenly) single and lipstick traces. In relation to that, i would also support chat of notable b-sides considering many of them are superb but i heard mention of comfort comes and that is one that definitely needs to be covered, being as it is the missing link between gold against the soul and the holy bible and a fantastic track to boot.

The one thing i had a major issue with is the question of what exactly richey and nicky did in the band if they couldn't play, to paraphrase - 'how did they become a band?' and 'richey was like the mascot' and compared to bez of all people. Say wha... richey and nicky were the suicide twins! The culture sluts! The propaganda wing of the manic street preachers! Giving great copy and running rings around music journalists unfortunate enough to fall into their orbit, all the while looking amazing. That's why the manics had such perfect balance i think, james and sean the accomplished musicians, richey and nicky the androgynous glamour twins writing the words. I just expected our gracious host to chip in here and give a spirited defence of what those two brought to the manics that made them stand out from 'generic white band'.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to you all diving into the later stuff and what the others reactions are going to be to the less accessible material and what on earth they're going to make of it.

Thanks for this! I'm glad you've been mostly enjoying it

The way I got them to do it was to say "it'll be fun, trust me." As friends we've always enjoyed discussing music and each others tastes etc. Just seemed like the natural thing to do.

On the "richey as a mascot", I could feel myself wanting to crack down on that, but also, if that's someone's way in to the band, then I don't want to discourage that. Bearing in mind I'm talking to Lucas at that point, who could not give less of a shit about lyrics, the angle of Richey being the poster boy/focal point for the band seemed more potent. When I think of Happy Mondays performing live, I think of Bez gurning his tits off with maracas, not really adding to the sound, but adding to whole vibe. When I think of early Manics live, I think of Richey posing and looking stunning with a guitar that's not plugged in, not really adding to the sound, but adding to the whole vibe.

I also think people forget that the podcast isn't all that strictly planned. None of us have any idea what the others will say, so I'm thinking on my feet a lot of the time!

As the episodes go on you'll hear me prod Richeys lyric writing back into the conversation, and by the time we get to the Holy Bible everyone is on the same page with how involved he was. We want the discussion to be organic as well as informative, and sometimes that means glossing over sections.

Hope I'm not coming across as defensive! I'm just really enjoying talking to you all about this mad little project I'm involved in!

P.S. I like New Art Riot, but if you're not that into punk it's a bit of a non-starter haha!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 16-02-2020, 21:40
Tim's Avatar
Tim Tim is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ...my fathers can have it.
Posts: 5,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftan mews View Post
Hope I'm not coming across as defensive! I'm just really enjoying talking to you all about this mad little project I'm involved in!
No, not at all! S'all good, man.

We're all a bit starved of manics activity these days and the social medias has stolen this place's focus (amongst many moving to pastures new) so it's good to see this podcast have a mostly positive reaction.
__________________
Please, he prayed, now -
A gray disk, the colour of Chiba sky.
Now -
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 19-02-2020, 08:28
ron the little seal's Avatar
ron the little seal ron the little seal is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wales
Age: 36
Posts: 737
Listened to the second episode, felt the banter bit more constrained or got used to it, really enjoyed it. I don't mean in a negative way but there are some detail heavy political podcasts you have to listen to intently while walking or on the train else you'll be lost. Your podcast is great for having on while doing housework, gaming. i know that sounds lame but it's great to work and relax to it.
__________________
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 19-02-2020, 21:52
chieftan mews chieftan mews is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brighton
Age: 31
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron the little seal View Post
Listened to the second episode, felt the banter bit more constrained or got used to it, really enjoyed it. I don't mean in a negative way but there are some detail heavy political podcasts you have to listen to intently while walking or on the train else you'll be lost. Your podcast is great for having on while doing housework, gaming. i know that sounds lame but it's great to work and relax to it.
Thank you! That's very nice.
We definitely wanted a more casual vibe.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 24-02-2020, 11:26
chieftan mews chieftan mews is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brighton
Age: 31
Posts: 149
New episode out!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.