Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Culture Sluts > New Art Riot

Old 20-05-2012, 01:24
Some kind of nothingness

this was such a bad match. so many unforced errors. perhaps if he wasnt playing against Mr. D he would win as there were some Goderer shots as well. But Mr. D once breaks, rather doesnt let you win. And that tie break was completely unnecessary for my sanity.

I really hoped for that Fedal final, now all Ive got is another RAFOLE (hahaha they really call it Rafole). Considering Monte Carlo, its still on cards, H2H on clay is in favour of Rafa so you will never know.

If Rafa wins he will regain No2 and will be seeded 2 on RG. Draw is on Friday, probably the scariest day ever. i mean, there doesnt have to be a Fedal final everywhere, but Paris is special. we need a Fedal final in Paris *weeps*
Old 20-05-2012, 12:10
Winterlover

What can you say? That was the Djokovic of last year revived. Some great defensive play and some Grade A ball-bashing. Roger never really got going and never really looked fucked. Probably tired after going deep into back-to-back Masters. Oh well it'll be a more interesting final.

Rafa v Ferrer was a good er first set then Rafa just anhiliated him
Old 20-05-2012, 15:42
Winterlover

It was a pretty lack lustre performance from Roger yesterday, but also a very good one from Novak. Roger seemed like he didn't really have much left in the tank after Madrid the week before and Novak seemed to want it more. Can't say I'm sad that it's not going to be a Fedal final shortly, I think this will make for a better final tbh.

Also, I cannot believe the utter shite the Sky Sports commentators have just been spouting...well, I can, but it really pisses me off the way they regard Roger these days. They basically said the only reason he's won so many titles lately is because he hasn't had to play Djokovic and the times he beat Rafa at the O2 and Indian Wells, they made excuses for Rafa (something about being exhausted and windy conditions). Erm no, fuck off like. He won those matches fair and square and with regards to the O2, it wasn't the first time he's kicked Rafa's arse at an indoor hard court event. And then Madrid apparently doesn't count last week, because of the stupid blue clay. Have they ever thought that Roger actually should be commended for adjusting to the different conditions and rising to the challenge, rather than throwing his toys out of the pram and whinging like a bitch? I don't know what the media/pundits etc expect from Roger these days tbh. If he doesn't win, he's passed it and over the hill, if he does win, it's because his opponent had some mitigating circumstance that prevented them from playing their best. They're missing the point entirely and should just be grateful for the fact a player with the legacy that Roger has is still playing and can still win titles. It's not about whether he's 'better' than Rafa and Novak, because he's at a completely different stage of his career to the other two and any direct comparison like that is a bit pointless. [/end of rant]

Meanwhile, a rain delay in Rome now, oh joy
Old 21-05-2012, 13:56
Winterlover

Another title for Rafa and back to number 2 he goes for Rolland Garros. Didn't watch it but I've got it recorded for later, it kept saying on the text updates that Djokovic kept drop shotting Rafa - he should know not to do that to Nadal by now, he just seems to get there every time
Old 21-05-2012, 21:20
Some kind of nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
Another title for Rafa and back to number 2 he goes for Rolland Garros. Didn't watch it but I've got it recorded for later, it kept saying on the text updates that Djokovic kept drop shotting Rafa - he should know not to do that to Nadal by now, he just seems to get there every time
His drop shots were so bad. And he double faulted at Rafas championship point. In fact he played nothing like during Rogers match. Maybe first set was well played but the 2nd one was typical Rafa on clay with some major advantages in playing doubles - net points, fine serving etc.

Rafa is such a complete player on clay. That blue clay (if we dare to call it clay) was just an accident. Tio Toni was advising not even going to Madrid in first line. I hope this bullshit doesnt happen next year.

Btw. a cookie for Rogers fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ttNr7Nu6fwM

i think there are pictures on Credit Suisse page as well.

Gorgeous, gorgeous man with amazing hair. Its awful when your favourite athlete could have a very successful modelling career and instead he chose playing tennis on a divine level.
Old 23-05-2012, 14:07
Winterlover

Nice interview with Roger in The Times about how his kids have affected his career

Quote:
Family man Roger Federer has eye on next grand slamFederer is enjoying balancing his playing schedule with parenthood
Neil Harman Tennis Correspondent

Last updated at 12:01AM, May 23 2012

As the debate about who should carry the Union Flag at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games continues — Daley, Becks, Sir Chris, Sir Steve, Sir Roger, perhaps even young Tom — Switzerland has a less ticklish conundrum. It has offered the distinction to its greatest sporting ambassador and it is his to refuse.

Roger Federer is already on the nation’s stamps, he markets its finest chocolate, speaks for the premier bank and he received a fair few votes at a local government election in the district where he was brought up, even though he wasn’t on the ballot paper. So a second go at flag-bearing is a bit of a no-brainer.

“I remember being on the balcony of my apartment when the Olympic people rang me last time,” he said. “I have never been so honoured. I’d love to do it again.” That’s that, then.

Four years ago, before he was a father, Federer brandished the famous white-crossed flag at the Beijing Games and, with his children watching this time around, he will not decline. Indeed, so much has changed for Federer since the arrival of his twin daughters, Myla Rose and Charlene Riva, in July 2009 that he barely knows where to start — the exception being that he remains an icon in his sport, indeed across all sports.

He may have won only one of the ten grand-slam tournaments he has played in since becoming Papa Roger, but it is a tribute to his colossal presence that had Rafael Nadal not won the Internazionali BNL d’Italia on Monday and leapfrogged him back to the No 2 spot in the rankings, there was every chance he might have been back on top of the pile again come the US Open. That prospect is looking a bit far-fetched now.

When the draw for the French Open is made on Friday — Federer’s fourteenth consecutive appearance at a championship where he made his grand-slam debut in 1999 — we shall have a measure of how tricky is his route to a seventeenth major title.

The chances are, his best opportunity of that distinction this year will be at the All England Club — not Wimbledon, but the Olympics, at which all matches except the final will be over the best of three sets. Having his kids there, too, makes everything that little bit more special. Has he found out anything about himself since he became a father?

“Not in tennis so much,” he responds, “but I certainly know I don’t know everything about children. A lot of our days are taken up with talking about new clothes, shoe sizes. It is about adjusting to a new tempo of life and I’m very fortunate to have a wife and children who are willing to make so many sacrifices for me. They are learning new things and new words all the time.”

They speak English as their predominant language “because it makes life so much easier”, Federer says. “I realise what an incredible amount of energy they have. I’m proud that I’m playing as much for them as I am for me, and that with all these moving parts in my life I’ve still been able to contest the major prizes. In fact, that’s about as satisfying as it gets.”

Although he will be a month from his 35th birthday by the time the Rio Olympics come around, Federer shows no sign of relaxing or relenting. Indeed, he is incensed that the ITF has arbitrarily decided to impose a rule whereby any player wishing to represent their nation in Brazil will have to play four Davis/Fed Cup ties in the intervening period, a doubling of the present commitment.

“I disagree with this completely,” says the president of the ATP Player Council and the only member of the top ten who has put his name forward for another political stint, both Nadal and Novak Djokovic having decided that it is interfering too much with their prime sporting objectives.

“I was in the room [in Miami] when the ITF presented this to us, I was not asked about it before the decision was made. They might as well have just sent us a letter. The ITF makes it seem as if playing in the Davis Cup is the only place in tennis where you represent your country. That isn’t right at all. They are forcing people to play, almost, and that is not a good vibe. Ricci Bitti [Francesco Ricci Bitti, the ITF president] knows where I stand on this and all the others at the ITF do as well.

“I will have to see what happens. I am focused on this year and I will make sure that whatever schedule I have for next year best suits me.”

As the players’ leader — although in some eyes he is not flavour of the month in that role — Federer has also taken a prominent place in discussions with the four grand-slam tournaments about the reallocation of prize money. In recent weeks, the French Open and Wimbledon have decided to spread the rewards more in favour of the lower-ranked players, which Federer helped to negotiate.

“I see my position as being able to speak to the grand-slams because I have developed a very good relationship with them,” he said. “Wimbledon will involve me in discussions about how best the championships can improve and I take that very seriously. I have a great respect for them and I hope that they respect me, too.

“I want to be able to look everybody in the eye and tell them why I said what I said and how I believe it will best serve the interests of the sport. I am not a diva, I do not go in there making demands. That is not the way you will ever get what you think you deserve.”

Keeping busy

Since his twin daughters were born on July 23, 2009, Roger Federer has . . .

• Spent 40 weeks as the world No 1, 28 weeks as No 2, 59 weeks as No 3 and six weeks as No 4.

• Won two Barclays ATP World Tour Finals at the O2 arena and also been a semi-finalist. Won the Australian Open in 2010 and lost in the finals of the 2009 US Open and the 2011 French Open. Twice been a quarter-finalist at Wimbledon.

Won 14 tournaments in all.

• Appointed Paul Annacone as coach (September 2010).
Old 24-05-2012, 09:48
Winterlover

Aw they are still bessie mates

Old 24-05-2012, 10:19
Some kind of nothingness

Quote:
Aw they are still bessie mates

oh thats so adorable. i will never stop shipping them. never.
Old 25-05-2012, 11:09
Winterlover

Draw's are out for the FO! Roger's in Djokovic's side, Nadal and Murray so same as last year. Potential quarter finals are Djokovic - Tsonga, Federer - Berdych/Delpo, Murray - Ferrer and Tipsarevic - Rafa
Old 25-05-2012, 11:28
Some kind of nothingness

Quote:
Draw's are out for the FO! Roger's in Djokovic's side, Nadal and Murray so same as last year. Potential quarter finals are Djokovic - Tsonga, Federer - Berdych/Delpo, Murray - Ferrer and Tipsarevic - Rafa
Roger has a very tough draw, with Nalbandian in 2nd rd, and few other tough opponents. but im happy for a possibility of a Fedal final. almost like it should be. Mr D. has a lot of qualifiers in his half, i dont like that.
Old 25-05-2012, 13:08
Winterlover

Nah Rafa's got this one sewn up, noone in his quarter will threaten whatsoever, maybe Roanic but he was shit in Rome. Should quite easily be another Djokodal final and if he does to him what he did in rome then 7 titles it is for Rafa. Can see Roger going out in the quarters again
Old 26-05-2012, 09:36
Some kind of nothingness

Quote:
Nah Rafa's got this one sewn up, noone in his quarter will threaten whatsoever, maybe Roanic but he was shit in Rome. Should quite easily be another Djokodal final and if he does to him what he did in rome then 7 titles it is for Rafa. Can see Roger going out in the quarters again
no no, this way Mr D will receive more points for RG and will skip for a while again. we need to repeat the 2011 final.
Old 29-05-2012, 13:24
Winterlover

Haven't seen too much so far but quite a few bigish names have already fallen; Nalbandian, Roddick, Hewitt, Karlovic, Dologopolov. Roger and Djokovic seemed to sail through, Rafa's up soon as is Murray. Was hoping to see Murray after work but everyone on Lenglen seems to be in a hurry this afternoon.

I'm impressed with ITV's coverage (apart from the odd channel switching and going away from matches for interviews) but least they seem to be taking it seriously which the BBC never did.
Old 29-05-2012, 23:35
Some kind of nothingness

Serenas out! Thats probably the biggest suprise for everyone.

Rafas match was labour not talent today but he deserved winning in straight.
Radwańska is playing Venus tomorrow, it wont be easy but she can make it, as she did in Miami.

Rogers draw fell from the most difficult to the easiest. He will have a seeded guy in QF. We can repeat that final from 2011.
Old 30-05-2012, 13:37
Winterlover

Roger, stop titting about and win already, I'm trying to do work here