Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 19:00
A self-made vacuum

Planning to spraypaint two more replica Manics shirts. Should be fun!
Old 08-06-2011, 19:28
Bored out of my mind

Disagree with that about Lifeblood in the interview from Holland, James! It's understanding that you can still be a punk band and have quieter more considered moments as well!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-06-2011, 20:09
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardsfromayoungman View Post
Planning to spraypaint two more replica Manics shirts. Should be fun!
Yaay! Make sure you post some pics!
Old 12-06-2011, 21:43
Builder of routine

Shelf of hate (in this order):

1. Angie Kruger
2. Rhona Cameron
2. Ben Meyers
4. Jenny Watkins-Isnardi
Old 12-06-2011, 23:45
Builder of routine

Ben deserves no hate, he's upset nobody and hasn't exploited the Manics.

Predicting the argument, he really hasn't, there would have been more lucrative figures, he wasn't in it for the money, and it was a good book.
Old 12-06-2011, 23:55
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post

Predicting the argument, he really hasn't, there would have been more lucrative figures, he wasn't in it for the money, and it was a good book.
pls say it's sarcasm.
Old 13-06-2011, 00:07
Builder of routine

Nope, seems an alright bloke who wrote a fiction book that (shock horror!) wasn't completely accurate. The others are 1: A mad and exploitative fake (they all are) medium. 2. An insensitive TV presenter and 4: A woman eager for fame who made up stuff about the Manics for the money and mislead people. It's unfair to put Ben in that list.
Old 13-06-2011, 00:47
Builder of routine

Quote:
Nope, seems an alright bloke who wrote a fiction book that (shock horror!) wasn't completely accurate. The others are 1: A mad and exploitative fake (they all are) medium. 2. An insensitive TV presenter and 4: A woman eager for fame who made up stuff about the Manics for the money and mislead people. It's unfair to put Ben in that list.
sorry Fran, but I'd say Ben fits there perfectly. I don't care how well his book is written. how can he dare he could even understand what's in Richey's head. THAT'S extremely insensitive. you surely read Nicky's comment on it. I totally share his point of view, how much damage and scratching old wounds it caused to Richey's family and friends.

completely ignoring the fact that actually I consider Richey as a man who made this to his family on his own... but at least I dont write books on that!
(sorry its pretty late and i still havent finished the essay)
Old 13-06-2011, 09:06
I live to fall asleep

Location: Alone in a godless universe and out of shake 'n vac
Quote:

It really wasn't. Badly written pap. The ending was borderline gibberish.

I wouldn't have minded if he'd done a work of fiction with a character based on Richey, but as Deets said, putting thoughts into someone's head is pretty disgusting; especially given the fact that no-one knows what he was thinking/doing at the time. If it had been an outright suicide it might have been different but the nature of what happened means it'll always be raw to his friends and family.
It's pretty fucking offensive and he well deserves his place on the list of hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
life is excellent if you just fuck each other whilst doing loads of coke.
Old 13-06-2011, 11:57
Builder of routine

Richey isn't a completely unapproachable subject, people always seem happy on here to argue about what they thought happened to him or what he thought about various things, people write fanfics about him, surely that's more offensive than somebody giving a very lenient (I thought) account of Richey.

Artistic license permits authors to re-imagine people anyway but I think Ben honestly tried to stay as true to the Richey he knew as possible and to him it probably wasn't a big issue to write from the mind as Richey. He caused offence to a few people but frankly most people don't care and I think it's a small price to pay for a decent piece of fiction. You obviously both read it anyway, if attempting to think like Richey is so offensive and wrong you should have avoided it completely.

And maybe it's good for Nicky to be offended, he's caused his own fair share.

Love you guyz anyway.
Old 13-06-2011, 12:29
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
Shelf of hate (in this order):

1. Angie Kruger
2. Rhona Cameron
2. Ben Meyers
4. Jenny Watkins-Isnardi
Who are the first two?

I didn't really like Ben Myer's book, but he seems like a decent person.
It wasn't because it was about Richey and I thought it was exploiting him or anything that I didn't like it, I went into the book expecting the best. But I was just disappointed with the way it was written.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 13-06-2011, 15:44
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalbertie View Post
Who are the first two?

I didn't really like Ben Myer's book, but he seems like a decent person.
It wasn't because it was about Richey and I thought it was exploiting him or anything that I didn't like it, I went into the book expecting the best. But I was just disappointed with the way it was written.
yeah i don't buy into the Myers hatred either. The book just wasn't very good. It might have been much better if he'd had family/friends co-operation to get an insight into what richey was really like. You can't get that from interviews, however much you think you might know someone from them.
Old 13-06-2011, 16:02
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalbertie View Post
Who are the first two?
Alice is that one who claims she's channelling Richey's spirit and taking money from over hopeful people.
The Cameron woman did a snide interview with the band in the 90's and go Deets for still hating her!
But no she is awful. And unfunny.
The last one, Jenny, I'm drawing a blank. WHOHELLSHE?
Old 13-06-2011, 16:08
Builder of routine

i remember rhona cameron being funny at the time..not the interview just generally. I don't think she was being deliberately mean. Was it a saturday morning show? The glove puppet makes me think it was. Even Nicky was trying to lift the mood a bit. Richey started on his Life is shit mantra which wasn't really appropriate for a 5 minute interview. Think rhona just didnt know how to respond.

Saying that i might be remembering it wrong. It was a loooooong time ago and she might've loathed the band
Old 13-06-2011, 16:10
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
i remember rhona cameron being funny at the time..not the interview just generally. I don't think she was being deliberately mean. Was it a saturday morning show? The glove puppet makes me think it was. Even Nicky was trying to lift the mood a bit. Richey started on his Life is shit mantra which wasn't really appropriate for a 5 minute interview. Think rhona just didnt know how to respond.

Saying that i might be remembering it wrong. It was a loooooong time ago and she might've loathed the band
The magic of You Tube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsMuRaT9zjg